Hi, I'm new and I need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning!

I had my SSDI physical exam this weekend. It was ludicrous! Seriously, I was absolutely amazed....I just have to vent. The doctor who saw me, bless her heart, didn't have a clue! She didn't know about scoliosis surgery...in fact she needed me to explain what happens. She didnt' know about arthritis!!!! or anything like that. She wasn't playing dumb, she just truly didn't know. I think she must just be a very inexperienced doctor. She felt embarrassed, and said, "I'm not an orthopedist, you'll have to explain these things to me." She even did the diagnostic tests wrong! I was just so shocked that the government is spending their money (and OUR money) to send me to an exam to see if I qualify for disability, with a doctor who truly was clueless as to my condition, or anything remotely similar. Wow. Very frustrating!!!!

As to the pregnancy topic, it's been very interesting to read your posts. What surprises me, is that although there isn't much in the literature that supports the idea that pregnancy may cause increased pain, two of my current docs (my physical medicine doc, and my physical therapist) were VERY concerned about me getting pregnant at this time. I'm certainly not in recovery anymore....it's been 7 years since my last surgery. My regular MD, however, is concerned, but optimistic. He's willing to take every step to ensure that things will be as comfortable as possible.

Laura, I have CD rods, too! =)

Comment

Sue,

Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow! We'll be thinking of you!

Comment

Yea someone let me know some hints about SSD? I had Harrington Rods put in back in 1989. Just this March I had to have a piece removed because it was grinding inside. Now I have right hip and leg pain that is so severe that on some days I can barely walk. The pain management doctor says I hve 2 bulging discs as well. I hurt in my neck and shoulder area, lower back, right hip, and right leg. I applied for SSD some time ago but I let the application lapse so I refiled again a 3 months ago. I turned in all the paperwork and haven't heard anything yet. They sent me some more papers to fill out and I did that too. The pain management dr. has been doing numerous spinal injections but nothing seems to ease the pain. I use percocet and morphine cream in the spots that hurt. Any suggestions welcome! Oh by the way I have a lawyer from California too.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I'm amazed at how similar many of the pain complaints among us are........usually neck and shoulder pain, and right hip and right leg pain. Is that because they usually do the bone graft from the right hip? I don't know....I'm just guessing. I'm glad you mentioned morphine cream, because I've never heard of that...nor have I tried it. Definitely worth a shot!

Take care...and hang in there.

Comment

I don't know, after reading the article that Linda posted, now I feel like maybe there was something else wrong all along, and that is what caused my pain during pregnancy. I am going to my Orhto. surgeon tomorrow and am really expecting them to find something. It is possible that something else was wrong (disc problem, scar tissue, loose screws, or whatever else causes pain) and that is what was wrong in pregnancy as well. If you can figure out what is causing the pain before pregnancy (which I didn't), you will probably have a better picture of how yours will go. Again, the pain meds were safe, but that did leave me unable to work/drive, etc. That's a whole other reason for SSDI. If you are loopy from pain meds, you can't get yourself to work and function once you are there. Also, you won't want to be on them once the baby comes. Believe me, you will be foggy enough without drugs, when I have to take a muscle relaxer, my husband is in charge. I have been on medicine for 3 weeks now, and have to get rides everywhere, because I won't drive with my son in the car. Anyway, it sounds like the majority of people don't have a hard pregnancy. I think you'll find it worth it no matter what!!

Comment

Hi luvteddybears,
              SSDI is a particular long game to play, count on at least three months and possibly longer then five months before you hear anything. Be prepaired to do an appeal, SSDI will usually denie at least 60% of first claims or applications. As the process proceed the percentages improve, so don't be surprise or frustrated by the proceedure. Most attorneys will become more interested in your application as time goes by, it increases their fee or charges. You can surely apply yourself either online or by finding your local or nearest Social Security Administration Office and just wait...I have applied recently again, ten years after my first application because I too let it lap. But I did return to school and a full time position for ten years. Sure won't this time, my back will not let me forget.
              Live long and prosper and fight for your rights.
              Live long and prosper!

Comment

Hello Melissa,
                I've just found this forum and have been following this thread with great interest. Wow, we are all in this boat together.
                My fusion and harrington rod surgery was done in 1968. I had my daughter in 1976 without any problems. She's now 28 and no scoliosis, yeah. I did yoga every day through my pregnancy and swam and floated as often as possible. No meds, no dental x-rays, super healthy. I did have intense "back labor" that was relieved with a dear friend spooning against my back.
                I believe if it feels right for you and you trust your instincts that all will be well.
                As for SSD....I think I've had the longest wait in history and they have done just about everything to humiliate and shame me to shatter self esteem.
                Every SS evaluator I've seen was completely clueless about scoliosis, and/or acted like God who should not be questioned. They choose docs like that.
                Now I'm going to focus on the mental health side of my disability because they seem to respond faster to that. Afraid we'll suicide, maybe?
                sorry this is kinda long winded. Just happy to find you all!!
                jan

Comment

Dear Jan, once again, I can relate to your writings so much....as do we all.
                  I can truly empathize with the shame, humiliation, and shattered self-esteem that you referred to. And clueless evaluators seem to be very common in many states, from all I've heard.
                  The psychologist that did my psychiatric eval. for SSD looked like he had been on a week long drug kick with no sleep, so he looked very tired and wired. And was trying to be buddies, ya know, to be cool and talked about things that were totally unrelated and inappropriate. Now I can see humor in the obsurdity of it all, but at the time, I felt de-valued and dismissed.

I will add that I am truly grateful that I just got approved (after a 2 yr. wait). And my lawyer did tell me that having a long history of severe, recurring Depression played a major role in the decision to approve me. For whatever that's worth.

Camille

Comment

Hi, Jan!

Yes, we certainly all are a very similar boat, aren't we? It's amazing. I'm so glad that I found this site, though. It helps me to remember that I'm not crazy! We're NOT crazy! =)

I'm glad to hear that your pregnancy went well. I'm going forward with it, and having faith that it will work. Not pregnant, yet, though! The waiting for that stinks almost as bad as waiting for SSDI! But it will happen when the timing is right, I know.

Good luck with your SSDI wait. We should even start a new thread entitled "SSDI waiters"...or something to that effect. I'm sure there is a lot to say on the subject!

Take care, all!

Comment

Working...
                    X