surgery cancelled for this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery cancelled for this week

Well, we made it through pre-op and should be checking into the hospital tomorrow night, however the surgery had to be cancelled last minute due to an infection in my daughters nose. I thought she had a little pimple and it ended up being a staff infection - MRSA variety. I have no idea where she got this from but nevertheless she did and now we are treating it with antibiotics. This is so scary to me that she has this staph now and I am sure the surgery won't be put off for too long. I have heard that this staph can continue to come back. Does anyone have any experience with this? She was very pumped up for the surgery so it was a big letdown that we are waiting again. I will keep everyone updated. Maybe one day I will finally be on the other side of all of this. I hope we don't have to go through pre-op and everything again.

smileyskl

Geez that's crazy. I'm sorry you have to deal with that before surgery but better they found that now than after surgery.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ugh! What a bummer - Ican only imagine the mental and physical preparation involved and it must be such a letdown. I hope things are resolved soon and she doesn't have to go through pre-op again. Pam had posted somewhere about her bouts with MRSA and how in subsequent hospitalizations she makes a point to mention it to the nurses and doctors and how they really scrub up then. (or something to that effect; I'm paraphrasing from memory). Anyway, I'd take her advice and mention it to anyone who comes in your daughter's room when she does have surgery so they won't take their hygiene lightly. As Sharon points out, I'm glad they found it - I guess a professional can easily the difference between a pimple and an infection, but it seems like it would have been easy to overlook.

I can't wait until you are all on the other side of this!
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Yes, I am sooo glad this happened before rather than during or after the surgery. The day the surgeon saw her it was very small -- it really did look like a pimple and I don't guess he had any reason to think otherwise since all her other tests came back really good. I guess this type thing doesn't show up in bloodwork because her bloodwork was perfect. It wasn't until the next day that it started looking a bit nasty. We were dissapointed about having to wait again since we are ready to get this over with but I am glad we found out so she wouldn't be in extra danger. I will be extremely extra careful with visitors and stuff now. This has definately scared me. I am wondering and I hope Pam might can shed some light on this if she experienced it - Does this stuff hang out and crop up again or does it go away once it is treated. Just wondering Thanks everyone.

smileyskl

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about the setback, but it is better to know now then have it crop up later and impede recovery.

How did the doctors determine it was MRSA?

Marian

Comment

Hi Marian,

They decided to do a culture and resistance test since it looked suspicious. I will say that it surprised me because it really didn't look that bad. It really looked more like an angry pimple The good thing is that it was only resistent to the methacyllin and not the other antibiotics. It is perfectly cleared up today but they want her to finish her antibiotics before having surgery. Hopefully, they will reschedule soon. I am sooooooo glad it showed up before instead of after and I found out today that someone needed her doctor in surgery this morning and had this not happened he wouldn't have been able to help that person. I think everything happens for a reason not by coincidence. Thanks for asking.

Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by smileyskl View Post
              Hi Marian,

They decided to do a culture and resistance test since it looked suspicious. I will say that it surprised me because it really didn't look that bad. It really looked more like an angry pimple The good thing is that it was only resistent to the methacyllin and not the other antibiotics. It is perfectly cleared up today but they want her to finish her antibiotics before having surgery. Hopefully, they will reschedule soon. I am sooooooo glad it showed up before instead of after and I found out today that someone needed her doctor in surgery this morning and had this not happened he wouldn't have been able to help that person. I think everything happens for a reason not by coincidence. Thanks for asking.

Sharon
              It sounds like your doc is on the ball! I'm glad things worked out.

I'm still wondering what is considered "suspicious" though. Guess I'm trying to visualize this.

Comment

It started out looking like a regular pimple with a small whitehead. Then it started looking red and inflamed and became really painful. It never had a big boil on it like most staff but it was just really red and inflamed. I guess the reason we went and had it checked is because it was very extrememly painful to her. I have seen staff before, and to me it didn't really look like it, but I am glad the doctor knows more than me and decided to check it. I guess thats why we keep him around.

Comment

Working...
                X