Post op questions- 7 days out! Frustrated and desparate!! Help~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StevieRayFan View Post
    Darlin... for the first few weeks it took me 4 -6 minutes to get into bed (under full pain mediation) and get myself flat on my back. If a butterfly landed I'd be done. Absolutely helpless.

If you can get just one finger with the toilet paper where it needs to go... just one fraking finger... and do this yourself (I could and INSISTED on this)... you will not shoot yourself (I didn't). That's assuming you can get on the toilet with or without help.

And then you have to repeat the process! If you want to do a good job, that is. And I like things done right, so I was in deeper than what... the average shopper? I like to do a good job, on whatever I do. So woe unto me.

I'm happy to report, after two surgeries (still recovering from the second) you will be wiping your butt in no time! If you are not now, then I apologize. You will be soon. THAT'S how you are going to have to gage your progress. One finger... two fingers... a SLIGHT twist here and there.

Don't get me started on getting on your socks!!! IF you can get them on at all.
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh..needed one...however it hurt like hell! lol I can barely reach the toilet paper and if it is hanging there long enough I can grab it w.my thumb and ever so slowly pull it w.out making the piece too short! lol I can reach back and wipe one some days....other days its "PAAAUUULLLL, COME HERE AND WIPE MY BUTT PLLLEEEASSEE???!" For better or worse they say! LOL
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Opiates cause constipation that can kill you. This is why I mentioned it.

Being bloated can be for different reasons, more than likely edema.

Google it

Im going to die now
      Well, I sure as heck dont wan die.....ha ha ha....its slowing going down and its mainly in my lower 1/2 of my body. Im trying to drink more water too in hopes that helps. And yes, I do know they can cause bloating & the "C" word. Ugghhh.....not issue (yet) with that that God.
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn,

I really can't add anything to what these good people are saying, except to add to the list of people who are thinking much of you, cheering you on, & assuring you that it will most certainly get better. [In fact, eventually, it will most likely get Great - hard to believe now, I know, but true!]

I'm always amazed by how docs differ in when they release patients from hospital - my guy rarely lets anyone with a long fusion out before 10 days! I know it's not always the most useful thing to remember, but your body is insanely busy healing. What a trauma these surgeries inflict on the body! You Are Doing GREAT.

As already said, the weight is likely at least partly water retention - a common side effect of many meds, the fluids you're pumped with in hospital, & at least for a good few days after surgery it can even be from positioning during surgery (lying face down for hours). Regardless of whether it will directly help the weight, you're doing a good thing by drinking more water - t'is essential for all your cells to function, let alone heal! And yes, it can help reduce fluid retention from some causes. One of the best things you can probably do is to make sure you're doing some walking - even if it's only a minute at a time, a few times a day. It stimulates blood & lymph circulation, & especially once you're feeling better & more mobile will likely clear that lower-half retention quite quickly.

Best wishes, Lynn. It's all up from here.

Comment

Lynn,

Everything you are feeling is TOTALLY normal. I haven't read everyone's reply, so I am sorry if this is duplicate advice. You are only a week or so post-op. YOu will still feel deformed, bloated, and utterly frustrated. It is perfectly normal and completely frustrating and depressing not to do anything for yourself. We all completely understand exactly where you are right now. The only advice that i can give is to be patient with yourself. This surgery is rough and takes a looong time, but it will be worth it in the end. Keep your eye on the prize and just be patient with yourself. If the pain meds aren't working the way you think you should, then please talk to you PCP if the UW nurses aren't helping. I had a difficult time with some of the UW nurses and switched over to my PCP and my pain control got A LOT better.

I send lots of hugs and prayers your way. I promise - it will get better, even when you have set backs day by day.

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X