No announcement yet.

Terrified: Scheduled for Spinal Fusion in April with Dr Boachi at HSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding your insurance question, if they let you book the surgery, then they have determined that your insurance will cover it or you have agreed to pay them a certain portion if they don't get what they are expecting from your insurance. Theresa told me that my insurance plan which is personal choice (i am from pa) was one of the worst personal choice plans and I would have to give them about $50k pre-surgery or i could not book surgery. Consequently, your insurance must be good or you would not be able to schedule surgery. Who did you see at the Rothman Institute? I had both of my hips replaced by them and they were wonderful but I wasn't comfortable with them for this extensive surgery. Since I don't have an extra 50k I am having surgery with Dr. Rand in Boston this coming Wednesday. Dr. Rand & Dr. Boachie were the only doctors out of 5 consultations that I felt confident with, to perform such an extensive and complicated surgery. Dr. Rand is part of my insurance network so that was a real bonus. It just cost me a small fortune going up to Boston for the needed pre-screening etc. I booked the Acela for the ride home so that I could be waited on in the train on the way home. My husband will be with me but he can be temperamental at times. Sorry I rambled so much. Good luck with your surgery. You have the best in the business operating on your back.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Next Wednesday, Avis? Wishing you all the very best!

I look forward to hearing how you are asap.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Not ready

I too was worried about the wiping thing. I never had any problems and I'm fused all the way up to T2. They ordered the "tool" at the hospital, but it never made it to my home. I wouldn't worry about that for now.

Right now, I think its most important to build your strength and your immune system. You need to be going into surgery as strong as possible. You know the procedure, drink lots of water to flush toxins, fruits, veggies, no fat, exercise, vitamins,etc

They wanted me to lose 15 lbs, as they have to cut through the fat. I lost 8 lbs and was in good shape. Your body goes into OVERTIME while healing, and needs to be in good condition for the shock of surgery. Put the sneakers on and start walking. Walk out your anxieties,it helps.

Its a small world you know, I went to Farragut in Pine Beach,NJ a million years ago, back when the Garden State pky was 10cents per toll. LOL I moved west for skiing in 1980.

Avis
        You date is coming up almost on my one year anniversary. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...