X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery Scheduled April 14th Dr Boachi HSS

Dear All,

I am soooo happy I found you

I am a 55 year old woman who has been in significant pain for over 2 years now. I was never diagnosed with scoliosis until 2002. I had an incident 2 years ago and since then I have seen many many doctors from local orthopedic surgeons to the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia who eventually sent me to Dr. Boachi. I have an S curve with 48 degree upper and 41degree lower.

I am scheduled for Spinal Fusion T4 - S1 surgery on April 14, 2009 with Dr Boachi at Hospital for Special Surgery NYC.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about HSS and Dr. Boachi but I am terrified and NotReadyYet because I don't know what to expect.

1. Do I need to be concerned about Insurance?
    2. What should I do now to prepare? During the last 2 years I have done little exercise and have gained weight.
    3. What about blood donations? Do I have to do that now for April? How much and how often?
    4. How much pain is it after the surgery?
    5. What can I expect to be like once I get home? Do I need a bed downstairs? Do I need constant care or can I be alone?
    6. Will I really be taller?

I will keep watch on Peachy and wish her the very best.

Comment

Originally posted by NotReadyYet View Post
      Dear All,

I am soooo happy I found you

I am a 55 year old woman who has been in significant pain for over 2 years now. I was never diagnosed with scoliosis until 2002. I had an incident 2 years ago and since then I have seen many many doctors from local orthopedic surgeons to the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia who eventually sent me to Dr. Boachi. I have an S curve with 48 degree upper and 41degree lower.

I am scheduled for Spinal Fusion T4 - S1 surgery on April 14, 2009 with Dr Boachi at Hospital for Special Surgery NYC.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about HSS and Dr. Boachi but I am terrified and NotReadyYet because I don't know what to expect.

2. What should I do now to prepare? During the last 2 years I have done little exercise and have gained weight.
      3. What about blood donations? Do I have to do that now for April? How much and how often?
      5. What can I expect to be like once I get home? Do I need a bed downstairs? Do I need constant care or can I be alone?

I will keep watch on Peachy and wish her the very best.

Hi,

Welcome. I found this place about last May, and had surgery in October. I'll try to answer some of your questions, feel free to ask as many as you need to:

Do you have out of network coverage? I went to see Dr. B also, and spoke with Teresa, his billing person. She told us that our insurance (an Aetna plan) would probably pay well, but I ended up selecting another NY doctor for various reasons. I'd recommend talking to her asap.

During my 4 or 5 months prior to surgery, I did as much aerobic exercise as I could stand, plus muscle strengthening for arms, legs, abs & back. It's important to go in as strong as you can because during recovery you lose a lot of strength. Plus, you will count on arms to help you roll over, legs for squatting, etc. Good aerobic capability is always good prior to surgeries.

You don't have to but can if you wish. My husband, son and I each donated one pint (we're all the same type) one week before surgery. If you do it all yourself, I think you start a month ahead of time. You should ask Dr. B's office about this if you want to do it.

I won't lie--it's not a walk in the park, but it wasn't as horrible as I expected. For me, the pain meds worked pretty well. I remember only one night in the hospital crying because it hurt so bad, and that's the night I was alone without a private nurse. Once I got the private nurse, she was able to stay on top of everything and I was more comfortable.

I didn't need a bed downstairs, although others do get them. I had my parents with me for 2 months. I'd say after one month, I could have been on my own ok, but I have 3 kids and they kept control of my house. I was very lucky.

YES!! That's the best part I gained almost 2 inches.

You might want to start a new thread with any new questions so that others see them too. Like I said, ask anything you want. I sure did, even when I was embarassed sometimes. The people here are the best.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I would like to just add a couple of views. I too lost my abililty to do exercise (for a year ahead) and that was a big reason I wanted surgery- if I couldn't do aerobics or strength excercise, which I loved to do, how was I going to keep the rest of me healthy? I kept reading what others were doing for exercise to get ready and thinking- well, if I could do that, I wouldn't have surgery yet. I just had to go the way I was and I was fine.

Also, my bedroom is on the 2nd floor and you will have physical therapy at the hospital and be able to do stairs before you come home. I was relieved (and I asked ahead of time) as there really isn't room on our main floor for a bed. All worked out just fine.

I understand your apprehension but I was happy they could finally do something for me after years of suffering. Good luck and I am glad you joined us.
        Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
        Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
        Age 54
        T10 to Sacrum
        Curve 65 degrees
        Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          I just got off the phone with Anne's husband. The Dr. said she's doing FINE and is stable. They got to the hospital at 5:30, surgery was scheduled for 8:00, but she was wheeled in at 8:15. The posterior surgery took 7 hours, and the anterior 4 hours. She received 3 units of blood. Fortunately, for the anterior, they were able to go in laparoscopically. Her husband wasn't able to see her yet, but would be able to in an hour. He said that Dr. B looked tired. I would imagine he would after an 11 hour surgery!!

Alan will update me when he can. I'm so thrilled for Anne!!
          Please send my good wishes to them, too, Debbei!

I've been away for several days, so I'm just getting to this now on Thursday.

I'm so happy for Anne that things worked out for her to be able to get the surgery!

Marian

Comment

Another update from Anne's husband!

Anne's hubby jut called again. She got into her regular room yesterday, and last night she was in bad pain and couldn't find the call button tfor the nurse, the poor dear. So this morning, they gave her lots of pain & nerve meds, and Alan thought they over-did it because she was very groggy. But the good news is today she stood up!! WHOOHOO Anne! He said they must have gotten a good correction because he could tell that she was taller already.

She'll probably be in another week. I hope to go see her when she's in the rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
              Anne's hubby jut called again. She got into her regular room yesterday, and last night she was in bad pain and couldn't find the call button tfor the nurse, the poor dear. So this morning, they gave her lots of pain & nerve meds, and Alan thought they over-did it because she was very groggy. But the good news is today she stood up!! WHOOHOO Anne! He said they must have gotten a good correction because he could tell that she was taller already.

She'll probably be in another week. I hope to go see her when she's in the rehab.
              Thanks for keeping us posted Debbei. Please tell Anne's dh that when he's able to pass along our thoughts and prayers to her!

Marian

Comment

Poor thing not being about to find the call button! I think I would start calling out. Terrible to suffer like that for a whole night.

Let's hope the remainder of your recovery experience is much better, Anne!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

i am glad to hear she's through it and she's taller already.
                  avis
                  1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                  2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                  2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

It's Me, and guess what?!!

I'm still alive! Surgery was 1/20 and today is 1/28; I don't know if that's considered 8 or 9 days. I won't lie; it's been really rough, but things are starting to look better. Today's the first day that I've been pretty much pain-free, so I'll try to post something through my drug-induced stuphor.

There are a few changes to Alan's earlier reporting. Surgery actually lasted 13 1/2 hours from time I entered OR until time I was rolled out and into ICU. I needed two more units of blood later, making it a total of five. I had not donated any blood. Oh, the bad cold that I had the day before surgery had completely disappeared when I arrived at the hospital! God is so good!

All my doctors and nurses are fantastic. Hospital is great; even the food is good. I was in ICU almost 3 days, then moved to a semi-private room. Private rooms with a river view cost an extra $950 per night, so that obviously was out of the question. My room had a window next to a wall of another building. A couple of nights later, the nice Charge Nurse had an opening in another room right on the river, and he moved me in there, so now I have a great view also...and all my roommates have been so nice.

Will stop for now. Thanks again to all. You mean so much to me!

Love, Peachy (Anne)

Comment

Anne-- how wonderful to hear from you! I'm so glad you are able to think well enough to post. It sounds like all is going well. Yes, it is rough, but it does get better. Thanks so much for writing. Sending gentle hugs and prayers your way... Susie
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for you, Peachy!

Now just work on getting better!

Marian

Comment

So great to hear from you. We can tell you're doing just fine, after the initial bumps. When have they said you'll be going home? Are you walking each day? Are all the tubes and lines out now?

Questions only to be answered when you're up to it, ok?!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So happy to read that you made it through your surgery without any serious complications, Anne. It’s a rough one alright. Wishing you well in the days ahead as you recover. God bless. Chris

Comment

Just spoke to Anne

she sounds wonderful, not the least bit loopey! Tomorrow she will be moved to a rehab facility for at least 7 days. She had another medication adjustment recently and seems to be doing much better. I told her that at 2 weeks the pain gets somewhat better.

She can't wait for a real shower. I can't blame her, that's what makes you feel most human after such an experience.

Comment

Anne,

So glad to hear you're doing great & being treated well It's so great that you feel up to writing - thanks for keeping us posted! (and, thanks to you, too, Debbe - not sure how I missed your last update on Anne :-\ )

Take care, Anne - plenty of meds, plenty of rest, & no doubt plenty of PT...you'll be better than new soon I hope recovery is smooth & swift for you

Comment

Working...
                                X