Big Day Is Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Day Is Here!

After months of waiting and bouts of whining, my surgery is tomorrow! Inauguration Day, how's that for planning?

Hubby and I have been in NY since last week for me to complete all my pre-op tests and various doctor visits. It's been horribly cold with some snow on and off. I've tried to stay in as much as possible, to avoid crowds and try to stay well. I even actually wore a surgical mask on the plane up here (got lots of stares), but all was to no avail. This morning my nose began to run, and now I have a full-fledged cold. Ugh!

I have to be at Hospital for Special Surgery at 6 a.m. for 8 a.m. surgery. Dr. Boachie plans to fuse T-3 to S-1, posterior first, then an XLIF for the anterior. That's where they'll go in through small incisions on my side to get into the lumbar area to install tiny "cages" that contain some of my bone (from my ribs) and some BMP. Dr. B said that after the posterior (approx. 4 hours) is complete, they will evaluate me to see if I'm stable enough to go on with the XLIF (which should be another 6 hours). I'm really hoping that it will all be done tomorrow.

We had tried to get together with "Debbei" and her hubby while we were up here, but it just didn't work out. Hopefully, we can see them after I get out of rehab, this is, if I'm in any shape to see anyone. Debbe is going to be my contact with the forum, so I won't have to rely on my hubby to post. He says, "You want me to do WHAT?"

I had such encouraging calls from Cathie (bsprings) and Janet. Thanks, guys!
    And thanks to everyone on the forum, even those of you I've not actually posted with. You've still helped me by putting your experiences on the forum, and all this helped me finally get to this day.

Peachy (Anne)

Oh Peachy, good luck to you. I am a week behind you and if I do ok with my pre-op tests this coming Friday, I will have surgery next Wednesday finishing up on Feb. 10th, because that's how Dr. Rand does those surgeries. I am excited for you and send positive and healthy vibes to you especially to get rid of that nasty cold. All the best at 6 in the morning. these docs are not human I swear....
    Good luck and report in when you are able.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Peachy,

I hope I'm not too late to send you best wishes for an uneventful surgery & a recovery that's as smooth as can be. I really hope that both surgeries can be done all in one day for you. I'll be thinking much of you & will keep watch for any news that Debbe posts (thanks, Debbe!). Time zones just boggle me, so I'm not sure when it is in relation to your surgery, but I plan (hope!) to be awake to watch Obama's Inauguration live here (about 3am! - coverage starting at 1am, not sure if I'll be up for that part! ). So, know that you'll have groggy well wishes sent your way around that time all the way from Oz

Avis - in case the Valium-brain makes me miss your posts closer to the time - best wishes for your surgery, too.
      Last edited by discombobulated; 01-20-2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Peachy-- I am obviously too late but you can read this later I guess... it's a little after 6 a.m. here and we're in the same time zone, so you are already there. I'm thinking of you and praying that it will be a very successful surgery. I just know you'll do well and have lots of wonderful stories to share when you are able. Gentle hugs, healing thoughts and wishes, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Anne,

you are and will be in my thoughs all day. I have Allen's ## here just in case he forgets later. I have faith that things will go perfectly for you, I just know it.

Love,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Anne,
            You are in my thoughts and prayers. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Anne
              You are in the thick of it right now as I type this.
              immense thoughts and prayers .................................................. .....
              no comedy today
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Anne, best wishes from Australia. Thinking of you today and hoping for the very best possible outcome and recovery for you.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Anne--I hope at this point your doctors are successfully finishing up with the surgery. I've seen your name here but just started posting and have my surgery March 30 so I'm following these very carefully. Very best luck to you and prayers for a good recovery. Inaguration day surgery!--really new beginnings! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Update on Anne!!!

I just got off the phone with Anne's husband. The Dr. said she's doing FINE and is stable. They got to the hospital at 5:30, surgery was scheduled for 8:00, but she was wheeled in at 8:15. The posterior surgery took 7 hours, and the anterior 4 hours. She received 3 units of blood. Fortunately, for the anterior, they were able to go in laparoscopically. Her husband wasn't able to see her yet, but would be able to in an hour. He said that Dr. B looked tired. I would imagine he would after an 11 hour surgery!!

Alan will update me when he can. I'm so thrilled for Anne!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank goodness it's over! So glad she's fine and stable and IT'S OVER!

Eleven hours of intense work, it's a long day for the surgeon.

Looking forward to news of Anne's recovery.

Comment

I meant to say, thanks Debbei, for the update!

Comment

Hi Anne~

Well, as others, you will definitely not see this in time but my thoughts and prayers are with you. So glad it is over and you can start "the other side" as we say!!!
                          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                          Age 54
                          T10 to Sacrum
                          Curve 65 degrees
                          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Much thanks for the update, Debbe.

Very relieved Anne is out & stable, & the anterior could be done laparoscopically - hope that makes pain much less than expected & recovery a whole lot smoother.

Best wishes to Anne & Alan. Look forward to any possible updates (thanks again, Debbe).

Comment

thanks for the updates Debbe
                              best wishes to Ann and Alan - great to hear of another successful scoli surgery. All the best for a smooth recovery.
                              Louisse
                              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                              X