Help, problems with the brace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, problems with the brace!

I just want to know if anyone is experiencing the same problems as me with the brace. If I sit down for more than an hour, I begin to feel a burning sensation on the top part of my leg, close to my hip. If I try to ignore it, it will get worse until I can no longer stand it which makes school a pain.
    After a while, the top part became numb permenantly and is very sensitive to anything, a simple light flick and it will hurt badly with an unpleasent burning feeling. Now I am getting worried because it has spread to both legs.
    Is anyone feeling this? Please tell me!

CAVEAT: I am guessing here.

It sounds like the brace is too long in front and cuts off the circulation on the top/front of your thigh.

If you tell your orthotist about this, I bet s/he can trim the brace so that you can sit comfortably.

As a side note, I sometimes find my daughter sitting at the computer in her night-time bending brace. This brace is only meant to be worn laying down. I think she is just trying to get the 10 hours in it per protocol.

I'm just saying if she can sit comfortably enough in that brace, you certainly should be able to get your brace trimmed so you can too.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Omg!

I feel so bad for you that must be crazily annoying. I'm just getting a brace in March. I really hope that does not happen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        [B]... It sounds like the brace is too long in front and cuts off the circulation on the top/front of your thigh.

If you tell your orthotist about this, I bet s/he can trim the brace so that you can sit comfortably.
        I had this same problem with both braces I had, and it was exactly what Sharon wrote ... they were simply too long at first. We took them back and they trimmed them while we waited.

They can make all kinds of adjustments that don't affect the force of the pads. I even had mine cut out around the front of the hipbones: I caught back then, and every time I went down into a squat, it jammed them into the brace. Ouch!

Have you told your parents about this? You need to so they can help you, hon ... I'm sure they wouldn't want you any more uncomfy than you have to be right now.

Hang in there ;-).

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
        X