its me! Lynn! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its me! Lynn! :)

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your support and kinds words. My husband was very taken back the fact that thereare so many kind and caring people out there. He actually shead a tear ot two!!

Here is how it went. I got in @ 6am on Wed & talk w/ Dr a Tribus. He aslways was very kind understanding. He also came w/good news! He & hia team re looked at my newest xrays and decided that sll thst sd need was thr porterior incision. I WAS SOOOO HAPPYY! So that meant 4 hr time frame raTHER THAN a 8 hr!! Shhheeww! LOOKING GOOOOOD!

So now Im in the OR room and only remember the lights & thinking to myself what AM I doing in here>!?!?!?!?!?! GET ME OUT! Next thing ys know zim in thr ICU unit as I lost 4 liters of blood! I only gave2 hoping that wouold have been all needed..but eh....that ok,Im still alive! Wed evening is a bit hazy for me & Thursday was absolutly miserable. One the little pain scale...I would say 15,,,they would chuckle abnd I would say uin stern voice :Im not kidding " They finally got the picture & hooked me up w/oxycodine, oxydone, the morphine drip & the valuim. WOW! There was a pt. that day I muttered out a "hey, I feel pretty good over here"....only to have ny dreams crushed by a log roll....UUUUUghhhhhh,,,,those suck!!!!!! Later Thursday nite & started not feeling well, blood pressure dropped to 60/45 ,blood count was low and & they ended up giving me 2 more units of blood! 6 units!! WOW! ImAgine what would have happened if I would have had the a&P? ughhh...

Either way, here we are Sunday nite......feeling ok w/the help of allof my happy pills...so I fgiured I would log on to say hello. Im getting some xrays tomorrow so hopefully I will be able tp figure out howto post those!

Hope everyone else is doing well...I need tp go bsck to sleep now as I can barely stay awake right now. Talk w/u all soon!!

Lynn
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Lynn,
    Happy to hear that you pulled through ok, albeit with a few glitches. I must say it was fun to read the drug induced post and see what other people see when I type (lots of typos on my end! ) I can't believe you are posting after 4 days. Sounds like you will be demanding to be released in no time. Stay strong and welcome to the other side!
    XO Geish
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Ahh, Lynn! So happy to hear from you. Your sense of humour hasn't been injured, you really gave me a chuckle! Your report of the recent past few days was great to read, the ugly bits about the pain, included. Thank you for your honesty. Eeeek!

Thinking of you and hope your recovery goes smoothly.

For when you're awake enough to answer questions!

Are you eating/drinking yet?
      Did you have an epidural?
      When did you first sit up?
      Have you done any walking yet?
      Are you spending much time on your side?

Thanks Lynn! Sweet dreams.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lynn,

I'm so thrilled to hear from you! Thanks for letting us know how things are going!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Lynn
          Great to hear from you - and so early too! You are gonna make a great recovery I just know it.
          But for now, sleep, sleep, eat, sleep, take the pills and sleep and rest some more - your body is doing a lot of healing.
          Wishing you all the best. Look forward to seeing your xrays.
          Louisse
          Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Hey Lynn-- that is wonderful that you were able to post! And super that you thought of us! It's great to read about your surgery and right after. We're soooo happy that Dr. Tribus decided on the shortened version and that, all things considered, you are doing quite well. Hope to hear from you again soon, when you feel up to it. Maybe it will be from home. Gentle hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Wow Lynn - I'm very impressed that you are already on email! I hope they are still treating you well. I'm glad everything went so well. Remember that you will keep getting better.

Best,
              Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Lynn,

I'm floored & thrilled to hear from you so early on! Brilliant that the surgery was down-sized - hope it makes for a smoother-than-expected recovery.

Louisse is right - you sleep plenty & rest even more; your body's super busy healing. Thank goodness they finally got you on to the right pain meds for you - hope the meds continue to make you as comfy as possible over the coming days/weeks....I'm very glad to hear you're alert enough to insist on better meds when the pain management's not up to scratch.

Best wishes to you & your hubby. I still can't believe you've already posted - a magnificent sign. I think you're going to be unstoppable in recovery

Take care, & sleep well (& often!).

Comment

I'm amazed you can post so soon--that's great. Thanks for your honesty with the pain and all. Knowing I'll be there in a few weeks, it's good to know what to expect--you know, plan for the worst and hope for the best, I guess. I'm getting awfully nervous, I know that.

I will be interested in following your progress. Good luck, rest, and heal! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

deish

[QUOTE=Geish;69991]Lynn,
                    Happy to hear that you pulled through ok, albeit with a few glitches. I must say it was fun to read the drug induced post and see what other people see when I type (lots of typos on my end! ) I can't believe you are posting after 4 days. Sounds like you will be demanding to be released in no time. Stay strong and

hi there! The drug induced posts are the best huh? LOL I couldnt agree more. I was actually laughing as I was desparatley trying to type words that had meaning!
                    And as far as wanting to eave learly, it was the opposite. I was scared as everything I needed/wanted at the push of a button was there for me. The nite w/out Paul were the hardest tho as he really did do alot...more than most of nurses. He was more gentle and had teh log roll down pat. My biggest fear where I'd sleep. Our bedrommis in the basement, which is 16 steps down! When I told the PT she said OHHH NOOO, that wont work, so we ended up renting a medical bed that was delievered yesterday.......6 hr lste!! Talk about miserable..oh my gosh.....just got back from a 2 1/2 hr car ride then had to stand, talk, sit more and cry till the guys got here w/that damned bed!!!!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      Ahh, Lynn! So happy to hear from you. Your sense of humour hasn't been injured, you really gave me a chuckle! Your report of the recent past few days was great to read, the ugly bits about the pain, included. Thank you for your honesty. Eeeek!

Thinking of you and hope your recovery goes smoothly.

For when you're awake enough to answer questions!

Are you eating/drinking yet?
                      Did you have an epidural?
                      When did you first sit up?
                      Have you done any walking yet?
                      Are you spending much time on your side?

Thanks Lynn! Sweet dreams.

IM awake-for now! So here it goes: I was not allowed to eat anything past 1pm on the tuesday before surgury as they initally thought they were doing the anterior/posterior & didnt want my tummy all filled up. For dinner that evening while my mother and my hubby got to eat real food I enjoyed a ice tea!! Then I took my Mag. Citrate drink to empty me out. Talk about declcious tasting....ohhh myyyy gooodness that was horrid! I think I ate a popcycle Friday evening....a 1/2 of one...was too sweet as I was used to sucking on ice chips. Sat am(now3 day post op) I ate some toast,grapes(about 5) and had a cup of coffee. Now, day 7 post op im good for anything howeer, due to the fact I cant go #2 Im eating as healthy as possible. Ive also asked my husband to pick me up another dreaded meg cit. drink. IM SOOOO BLOATED & UNCOMFORTABLE!! I seriously look like Im about 6 months pregnant. Its so gross! And im certain this is also contributing to the pain. Ughhh!

I 1st sat up(again not a pleasant experience) 24 hrs after w/the PT. I had to get out of bedwith help of course, sit up, use a walker to stand up right. I was as dizzy as a blonde right out of the salon! lol (Im blonde by the way) nI couldnt fouse on anything. Once I stopped crying & got a grip I marched in placed 3 times on each foot! THey were so proud and I was cursing everyone there under my breath! lol The enxt day I walked down the hall to meet my husband &2 boys who were happy to see me. I got a wheelchair ride back tho....cheater!!! lol The next day I walked even further, sat down in a another chair, got back up & did a few stairs, which really, wasnt that bad. The worst part to this day is getting up from laying down....or at least it is for me!

mY side....as in sleeping Im assuming you mean. Ummm,,,probably not as much as I should be as its just not quite as comfortable. ONce Im all looped up and I can it no problem tho! lol Its good to change positions, otherwise you will have wearer areas to deal with later.

Hope this helped! Let me know if U have any other questions for me...and I have just one word for you! SPELL CHECK! LOL

take care!!!!!!!!!!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry View Post
                        Wow Lynn - I'm very impressed that you are already on email! I hope they are still treating you well. I'm glad everything went so well. Remember that you will keep getting better.

Best,
                        Anya
                        Anya! Hi there. I see what you mean about the nurses now. I was alone a few times overnite w/no one and I was miserable. WHile there were somesweeties, the others I dont have much to say about them. Dr Tribus did great job. W/out the cobb scale, he feels he corrected the thorasic to 10 & also 1o on the lumbar!! which is WAAAAY better then what he initally said.

HOw long were you bloated?? I cant even fit into my sweat pants,,,its horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Oh Lynn, I am so happy for you. I have to LOL at your cute reply. We are all so funny when we're that drugged up. I know I was too! I hope your 'situation' clears itself out! They gave me something to take in the hospital that finally helped at 4 days. You would think I had given birth or something, I was so proud and happy that it finally worked!

Take care!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                          X