Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnant! :)

Hi all,
    I haven't been on here for a while, but I just wanted to send some good news and hope for all of you having sugery. I am now a year and half out of surgery and doing great - in fact, I am pregnant with our first child!!! Having this surgery hopefully changed my life and I don't regret it. If anyone has any advice about being pregnant with a spinal fusion, I would love to hear it. I could use all the help I can get. I'm estatic and totally scared right now.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

whoo hoo!

Anya-- I am thrilled for you! That is super news-- and I'm soooo glad you shared with us.

I can't help you with the "pregnant while fused" part, but JamieR probably can if you PM her. What is your due date? I'm busy getting ready to be a first time grandma-- my two oldest girls are expecting within a week of each, in May-- both are having little boys. So I've been looking at their choices (online) for crib sets, furniture and all the rest. Plus I have to get something for here too, so that is fun.

Best wishes for an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery-- and a wonderful life as a mommy. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Anya

I had my son 16 years AFTER fusion (harrington procedure). I had no complications, in fact I had a very easy pregnancy with only 1 exception. I got so large that people thought I was full term when I was only 5 months along. This was not due to weight gain (only gained 28 lbs) it was due to my height 4' 11 1/2" and the fact my son ended up being 10 lbs and 21" long. I did end up with a C section, but that was due to his size vs my size.

Congrats & Good Luck

Liz

Comment

Anya,

Congratulations!!

I was pregnant with my first child and first fusion and all went well. I had my first fusion in 1991 and got pregnant in 1994 and my son was born in 1995. Very good pregnancy, no complications and he was born on his due date vaginally and I didn't have any drugs. All went very well.

I was pregnant with my second child after my second fusion. I had my fusion in 1999 and got pregnant in 2000 and she was born in 2001. All went very well. No complications, just a real normal pregnancy just like everyone else with a normal back. She also was born vaginally.

They told me that it probably wasn't a good idea for an epidural. I have a high tolerance for pain but yet it really wasn't bad at all. Breathing techniques are wonderful!!
        Adrienne
        1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
        1993 Rod Removal
        1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
        2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
        Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
        Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

I will echo that thought on breathing techniques. I delivered all 3 of mine "naturally" and although it is hard work, it was definitely manageable. All my girls were big-- my biggest (3rd) daughter was 9 lbs. 10.5 oz., so it wasn't that they were small or anything... You just have to be prepared if you don't use an epidural or meds. You'll do fine either way, I'm sure.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS Anya!!!!! I had surgery on Feb 1st 2005 and had a beautiful baby girl on Feb 1st 2008.

I would encourage you to work out (stationary bike, eliptical, yoga) as far into the pregnancy as possible to help keep your back and leg muscles strong. I recovered pretty quickly from my pregnancy & delivery, 90 mins of pushing followed by a c-section because baby's was coming out face up and was stuck on my pelvic bones. If baby's head wasn't stuck, I would have delivered her within 20 mins of pushing. I attribute my quick recovery to working out into my 7th month and continuing yoga into my 8th month. I would also advise you to eat healthily so that you don't gain too much weight which could put extra strain on your back. I gained about 20-25lbs total. Dispite what a lot of women say, you are not eating for 2 people.

I also echo the comments here about breathing techniques. In addition the yoga classes that I took, I had also taken a relaxation class offered by my hospital prior to my fusion surgery. I combined those techniques with my yoga techniques during labor and delivery. My nurse kept commenting to my husband that she couldn't believe how focused I was and that if all of her patients could focus and breathe the way I did, it would make her job so much easier.

I met with the anesthesiologist about 6 weeks prior to my due date to review my x-rays and talk about all possible methods of pain relief. It was decided that a spinal would be better for me than an epidural due to where the spinal is given. It worked out really well and the best part was the because my spine is still numb from surgery, I didn't feel the needle going in! Spinals do wear off after 2-3 hrs though and mine did, but I kept pushing anyway. It was painful, but not horrible. I was relieved to get a 2nd spinal before going into the c-section though.

Please PM me with any questions you have about being pregnant right after fusion surgery. I'd be more than happy to share more info with you.

Comment

Don't be scared! You'll do great. I birthed my first child 18 months after my surgery, and all went well. I went with natural childbirth, but listen to the good advise above about talking to your doctor regarding your options. She was a good size, 8lbs 6 oz, but I didn't suffer any effects in my back.

When I started to get back pain was when she grew and I was trying to carry around a toddler. But that was probably nothing to do with my surgery, just a small rather weak woman carrying a large toddler. My doctor had told me that the surgery would put me back into the norm, and normal people hurt their backs sometimes when they try to lift too much.

Comment

Anya,
                I just wanted to say congratulations! I have no advice as far as pregnancy and fusions. But please keep us posted on how yours goes! I just got fused 6 weeks ago, I'm getting married in 4 months, and looking to have a baby in a year to two years...so I am really interested in how things will go!
                Again, I am very happy for you and wish you all the best!
                Love,
                Sara
                25 years old
                double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                Anterior on 11/11/08
                Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                nearly perfect correction
                fused t-10 to pelvis
                with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Anya,

Congrats! I am sure everything will be fine. I cannot help with any pregnancy tips, I'm a man and we cry when we get a paper cut...
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

No advice from me either, I'm afraid - just a big congrats!

I hope your journey is as trouble-free as the others'. Best wishes to you, bub, & family

Comment

Anya!

I have been wondering what you have been up to, now we know!! LOL! I have been checking your blog occasionally to see how your progress has been going. Glad to hear from you on here. As your blog isn't much help these days... Kidding with you. So glad to hear the happy news, you will be fine. My best friend did great with her Harrington rod through pregnancy and birth. You have modern technology and I am sure that won't be an issue. keep up posted when you can.

Congratulations! Suzy

Comment

Congratulations!! What wonderful news this is. I know everything will just work out fine for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congratulations Anya!

This is really good news!! I didn't have surgery but do have two kids and just want to say that it is the best thing that ever happenedd to me and i would like to wish you all the best as well!!!!

It's so nice to hear such great news from people who had surgery as it gives hope to the rest of us!

I always wonder about how and what will happen after surgery and if i wanted to have another child...but now after all the posts here it just shows how great most of you are doing and continue to live a great life and have wonderful healthy kids!!

Thanks to you and everyone for sharing their great stories and inspiring me!

Mariya!
                          30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                          8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                          3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                          4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                          2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

just read your blog and want to congratulate you and wish you much happiness.
                            avis
                            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Anya
                              Congratulations! This is wonderful news - I have two children and they are fantastic and have changed my world (before my op so no advice from me Im afraid) but I am sure your back will be fine from what I've read so far.

I have loved reading your blog in the past (when I was making up my mind to have surgery a year or so ago) - sorry really should have thanked you before!

I am so very pleased that everything is going well for you.
                              Keep us posted on news of the baby please!
                              Regards
                              Louisse
                              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                              X