Blood Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Donation

Today is my first autologous blood donation. I detest donating blood as I am very squeamish and creeped out by the whole blood thing. I tend to be on the anemic side, so I've been taking two iron tablets per day and doing my very best to eat a well-balanced, nutritious diet and drinking plenty of water. The last time I went through this I was extrememly weak and exhausted for the two days following the donation (that's why I schedule them for Friday's - so I don't have to worry about missing work due to exhaustion - just in case). Wish me luck!
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Good luck! When I had my surgery, you couldn't donate to yourself. My daughter donated to herself before her surgery during exam time! She drank a lot of water for a couple of days ahead of time. They told her when she was old enough to come back and be a donor because they had no problem getting blood from her. She finished in 5 minutes! Now that she is old enough, she donates every 6 months.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Yes, good luck!

Brandi-- wishing you lots of luck with donating today-- and I'm praying for you too. How many units are you supposed to do for your surgery? If it's very many, you might want to read through some of the posts from these links, where people have given advice and/or talked about their challenges... then again, maybe you will do just great without any other advice.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...lood+donations

Let us know how it goes! Hugs, Susie

PS- I know TXMarineMom did a thread on this but I don't think my search showed it-- you might want to look some more.
      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM. Reason: add PS
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My surgeon has requested I donate 2 units - same as last time. Last time I was tranfused with the 2 units I donated plus 2-3 units of donor blood. I'm hoping it will be different this time. Thanks for the links and for the prayers and well-wishes.
        Brandi
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Just wanted to let you know how it went...

I donated a unit of blood on Friday. My hemoglobin level was a 12 (you need a minimum of 11 to donate). It was a little low, but at least I was able to safely donate. I was extrememly sluggish all weekend long - taking a 3 hour long nap each day. Today I feel like I am coming down with a cold . I am still taking a multivitamin and 2 iron tablets per day and I think I am going to add some vitamin C to the mix. Surgery is 16 days away and I need to make sure I'm good and healthy.
          Brandi
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Hi Brandi,

May I offer a word of advice? Every time you donate blood, your hemoglobin will drop by one gram, in other words from 12 to 11, even more if you are a small person. The chances of your hemoglobin going back up to 12 in one week, even with iron is unlikely. It could, but is unlikely, in women especially. I would advise you not to donate a second pint, especially if you feel a cold coming on. You will be rejected for any cold symptoms. Going into surgery, you want your hemoglobin to be as high as possibly, otherwise you will get back all of your blood and more besides during and after surgery. My experience comes from 30 years working in a hospital blood bank and drawing autologous blood donors. Regular blood donors must have a hemoglobin of 13 or better to donate, so if you hemoglobin is lower than 13 to start with, the pint of your own blood is not going to be equivalent to a pint of regular donor blood.

I hope your cold symptoms disappear quickly and that you will be strong and healthy for you surgery. Take good care.

Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Brandi...

I second Sally's suggestion.

At UCSF, the last time I was in, they were actually subtly recommending that patients who are having scoliosis surgeries not donate blood. The blood supply is about as safe as it gets, and if it's difficult to donate blood, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to take the risk.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sally and Linda,

Wow. I didn't realize my hemoglobin level would drop so significantly. I had the same issues two 1/2 years ago and was transfused with the 2 units I donated plus more donor blood. I really don't want that to happen again. I just really wanted to be able to donate my own blood for surgery and didn't really consider that it might be unwise to do so. I really appreciate what you both said and will take your advice into consideration.
                Brandi
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

An Update

Just wanted to let you know that I did not donate the second unit. I decided if I was able to donate I would despite the risks because I really wanted to be able to give my own blood (very stupid, I know). My hemogloblin level was a 10.6! I was shocked that it dropped from a 12 to a 10.6 in a week despite taking 2 iron tablets per day. Needless to say, I wasn't able to donate and now understand that it was for the best. I have been exhausted and completely run down for nearly two weeks. I was wondering what do surgeons do if your hemoglobin is still low on the day of surgery? I had my pre-op physical last Friday and have pre-admission testing on Monday.
                  Brandi
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Hi Brandi,

I'm sorry your hemoglobin dropped so much but it really doesn't surprise me. If your surgeon thinks it is too low to start your surgery, he will transfuse you with your own pint of blood first. I imagine each Doctor has his own threshold to transfuse or not before getting started. Try not to worry. You will be fine.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                    X