No announcement yet.

Don't have Scoliosis, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told to walk a minimum of 30 minutes per day starting the day I got home. I have, for the most part.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Paul

Welcome. As far as the walking is concerned, its all about blood and oxygen circulation for cell regeneration and thus promoting fusion. Walking outside in fresh air is the norm, not using a treadmill indoors.

Outside cardio exercise is a good thing for everyone. It keeps the pipes flowing. Eating a greasy pizza, is the exact opposite, you can actually feel your arteries slamming shut! LOL (maybe that isn't a joke)

I have a neighbor in the same situation, non-scoli with 4 fusions up high, and 4 down low. He has been through the same pain experience as you. He is getting better now.

I'm a Beatles fan, and the song "Its getting better every day" is a tune that should be humming through your head as positive attitude is very important in surgical outcome.

I still hum this song although I'm completely out of pain. I guess its just a habit after 40 years.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone.

We're in the dead of winter in the Midwest, and walking out side is just not an option. Access to a pool is not an option. The best I can do is do laps in my house, and stair-stepping sessions. I'm no stranger to exercise. I weight trained for 30 years, and know the effects of over-training. I'm building up my laps and trying to increase things as I go but have had to back down a number of times. I really enjoy the stair-stepping, but it can be very hard on me. In general, I have to "feel" my way through.

This is the 3rd day now where I have been able to do 52 laps (45' x 52 = 2340 feet) non-stop in the mornings. (I mile = 5,280)

That, plus light leg exercises every other day, plus stair stepping (up/down 1 flight 4 -5 times in a row, several times a day)

When I get bored, I mix it up and try to increase something. Oh yes... very important, I try to stretch ham strings several times per day!

I think 30 minutes non-stop walking per session would be a great goal!

Thanks again, folks.

Paul
        Paul (57 years old)

Went in with lower back pain, diagnosed w/ Myelopathy late '07.
        Correction: 4-Level Cervical surgery Jan '08
        (Lumbar region continued to deteriorate...)
        Correction: L-4/L-5/S-1 Anterior fusion Oct 22, '08
        As of Jan 14, 2009... on my 11th week out...

Both procedures: Rush Medical, Chicago.

Comment

Working...
        X