Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very small curves!

Originally posted by Nanette77318 View Post
    Okay, so this morning (Friday) his Pedi called back! Cameron's curves are 10* thoracic and 9* lumbar. So..THAT is a good report. I am relieved and thankful that the x-rays happened! We will follow-up in 6 months or sooner if I notice any changes.
    That's great that the curves are so small. You have an eagle eye spotting it so soon!

Many small curves spontaneously correct completely per a large survey that was done a while back.

I certainly hope your son is in that group who needs no treatment and corrects on its own.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Many small curves spontaneously correct completely per a large survey that was done a while back.

I certainly hope your son is in that group who needs no treatment and corrects on its own.
      Question??

I never realized that small curves can correct on its own. My son is 13 and my husband and I noticed a small right hump. We took him to a orthopedic locally and he said it was nothing. Just a slight rotation. We were unable to see the xrays. Being that I had Scoliosis since 5, I have always check on my children. Well needless to say that Dr. didn't make me feel comfortable so we are off to see another in Denver.

I understand that if it is less than 10 degrees they do not consider it Scoliosis. But with a slight rotation more so obvious then curve, is that normal??
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Spontaneous complete correction

No woo-woo involved either!

Heary and Albert, p.95 (bottom right)

A 5-year prospective study of 85,622 kids found 1,436 kids with scoliosis.

Results over an average observation of 3.2 years:

Progression - 14.7%
        Spontaneous improvement of at least 5* - 27.4%
        Complete spontaneous resolution - 9.5%

In re eyeballing curves, I think they have to get fairly large to notice if they have no rotation. That is, it seems the rotation is much easier to eyeball than the curve.

Just w.r.t. my twin daughters, one was very rotated starting at a small angle whereas the other is barely rotated at a large angle. It was becoming obvious something was wrong with the rotated kid (shoulder blade protrusion, rib hump just standing up, etc.) whereas the other kid still looks extremely close to normal (slight deflection off centerline of the torso).

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by augemac View Post
          Question??

I never realized that small curves can correct on its own. My son is 13 and my husband and I noticed a small right hump. We took him to a orthopedic locally and he said it was nothing. Just a slight rotation. We were unable to see the xrays. Being that I had Scoliosis since 5, I have always check on my children. Well needless to say that Dr. didn't make me feel comfortable so we are off to see another in Denver.

I understand that if it is less than 10 degrees they do not consider it Scoliosis. But with a slight rotation more so obvious then curve, is that normal??
          Well, I have no input for you, as you can tell...I am just learning myself!
          BUT....I thought a few things were neat....1)we both have boys, mine is 13 in July. 2)my son also has visible rotation with a rib hump on the right and 3)my sister is named Adrienne....so...I feel like I can relate a little to you!

Comment

Six months til next x-ray

Hi - I'm glad the news from your son's x-rays showed small curves. I am familiar with some families who also had children in this scenario and waited six months for a next x-ray, only to wish they had rescanned sooner because curve progression was accelerated during a rapid growth spurt in this six-month window. You may want to ask your pediatrician about this. If you'd like me to connect you wtih one of the families who wished they'd not waited a full six months, please send me a private message.

Comment

bscoli,

I am curious to see the link to those discussions if you know where they are. Would like to read their stories. I have a 13 year old boy with a slight right rib hump. I have set a appt with a Dr. in Denver for February 16. The local Dr here didn't even slightly impress me. He made it sound like I was paranoid! I know that I could see the hump. He said it isn't scoliosis and he didn't even do a full examination. Then I told him I wanted him to look and then he noticed a slight rotation and hump. I didn't get to see the xrays. So for all I know he has a slight curve and I don't even know. To my husband and I we thought we could see a slight thoracic and lumbar curve.

Needless to say can't wait til we see another Dr. because I don't want to wait. I know what it is like to go through this.

Thank you to all who have put input here. It is really different being a parent with a possibility of a child then myself going through it. Tough!!
              Adrienne
              1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
              1993 Rod Removal
              Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

100% risk of progression without intervention

This article may provide insight. If you want me to align you for a connection with this family, please snd privat3e message. http://www.wauwatosanow.com/story/index.aspx?id=765591

Comment

Originally posted by augemac View Post

I didn't get to see the xrays.

Ya know, you can call the Dr.'s office that ordered the x-rays and ask that a copy of the report be mailed to you! I worked in a radiology office for years (before children) and you can even call the radiology facility (if the x-rays weren't done in the Dr.'s office)....and get the films in your hands. So, at least you can get a visual from the films.....

Comment

Thank you Nanette77318. I think I will call because I want to see what they look like for myself. Great idea. I'll let you know!
                    Adrienne
                    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                    1993 Rod Removal
                    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

bscoli -
                      100% risk of progression without intervention

This is clearly false.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Apologies and clarification

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        bscoli -

This is clearly false.
                        Sorry for the confusion. In my post titled "100% risk of progression," I shared a link to this article
                        http://www.wauwatosanow.com/story/index.aspx?id=765591

The article highlights a specific girl's experience with scoliosis and says that, "without therapy, at Allison's age and onset, the risk of progression would have been 100%. See below from article...

"There is great evidence that exercise-based approaches can be effective to reverse the symptoms and signs of spinal deformity," she said.

"The younger the patient finds out and the sooner they start therapy, the more likely it will be (that) they can prevent progression of the curve."

Allison has grown more than 3 1/2 inches in the last year but because of the intense therapy, has seen only a 5-degree curve in her spine.

Without therapy, at Allison's age and onset, the risk of progression would have been 100 percent, Marti said.

Comment

Originally posted by bscoli View Post
                          Sorry for the confusion. In my post titled "100% risk of progression," I shared a link to this article
                          http://www.wauwatosanow.com/story/index.aspx?id=765591
                          My mistake. Apologies.

The article highlights a specific girl's experience with scoliosis and says that, "without therapy, at Allison's age and onset, the risk of progression would have been 100%. See below from article...
                          How do they know that? What was the curve when diagnosed and at what age? These are lay people talking.

"There is great evidence that exercise-based approaches can be effective to reverse the symptoms and signs of spinal deformity," she said.
                          Really? Where is it published? I'd like to read it.

"The younger the patient finds out and the sooner they start therapy, the more likely it will be (that) they can prevent progression of the curve."
                          The earlier you find out, the smaller the curve and we know smaller curves have less of a tendency to progress than larger ones. Here we see the problem with not having controls... some, maybe all of the people doing treatment with smaller curves wouldn't have progressed anyway. Yet because they were doing exercises and wearing a brace, they attribute any lack of progression to the exercise and/or brace. This is a really silly claim.

Allison has grown more than 3 1/2 inches in the last year but because of the intense therapy, has seen only a 5-degree curve in her spine.
                          SHE'S IN A BRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see what her curve does two years OUT of the brace. This article is a joke.

Without therapy, at Allison's age and onset, the risk of progression would have been 100 percent, Marti said.
                          Prove it. I bet they don't have a single radiograph.
                          Last edited by Pooka1; 02-03-2009, 06:30 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                          X