I am new to this forum.

I have an 8.5 year old daughter recently diagnosed with scoliosis, 27
    degree angle. My husband and I have decided to take her to either the
    Schroth clinic in Germany or to the ScoliosisRehab clinic in Stevens
    Point, Wisconsin.

Has anyone taken his/her child of similar age to either clinic? If
    so, will you please share your/your child's experience? I am not so
    much interested in travel logistics and fees, but rather the overall
    experience and outcome of the treatment for your child. How was such an intensive exercise/treatment program adapted to suit a young child? If you child did receive Schroth treatment, what type of brace is he/she wearing? The Cheneau brace seems to be the one recommended in combination with Schroth exercises, and with good results.

Many individuals have raved via web forums (e.g. National Scoliosis
    Foundation) about Schroth exercises for their adolescent child, but I
    have found little to no information about Schroth exercises for
    children less than ten years old.

Thank you.

Hello-

My daughter went to Steven's Point a year ago when she was almost 13 years old, and has returned 3 times since (it was our decision to return, but most people only go for 2 weeks). The physical therapists are absolutely wonderful and will do everything to make your child feel comfortable. My daughter wears a Rigo-Cheneau brace full time, and does Schroth 4-5x/week for about 45 minutes. It has been the best thing for her so far, and we have tried many other treatments.

That said, I do think it will take diligence on your part to keep a child that young focused and willing to keep up the exercises. It is a commitment that often times we wish we did not have to do. Many kids do the exercises alone, but since my daughter really wants my help, I do them with her. I can not imagine a child as young as yours doing the exercises at home alone.

We have been to the Spain clinic, but did not do Schroth there because of the language barrier, and because they do much of their Schroth work in groups. I believe the same holds true in Germany, although I am not positive. In Wisconsin it is one on one for 4 hours/day-very comforting atmosphere.

I was discouraged from having my daughter do Schroth when she was 8, but really wish I had done it then and braced her in a Cheneau before she progressed. I would suggest calling the Steven's Point clinic and speaking with them first. They may be able to give you names of younger children who have done the program.

Best of luck to you,

brooke

Comment

Working...
    X