Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Wear

Hey,
    I am not yet in a brace but will be as of next week. I am scared and really unenthusiastic. I know that it will elp me with my scoliosis, but right now I have a bigger problem. I have absalutly no idea what to wear. Are there things that hide your brace better then others.
    I love to wear Hollister and Aero. they make really tight shirts. Can I still shop there? If so would I have to buy larger sizes then what I wear? Please help me anyone that has a brace and deals with the fashion too!
    Katelyn Caralle
    14 9th grade
    Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
    Curve in brace: 0
    Boston Brace

When I had to get my brace I wore the same things that I wore before, but I bought a size bigger so the clothes I already had didn't stretch out. I definitely had to buy bigger pants, I wore a size 0 and had to get size 3 or 5. To hide the brace I wore sweaters a lot, but honestly no one really notices the brace, just you. I was really self conscious about it, and when I told people that I had a brace they had no idea.

Don't forget to wear undershirts underneath the brace!! I always wore the scoop neck tanks. It's really uncomfortable without them.

I would take the brace shopping with you when you first get it so you can see the size difference and everything. Good luck with it!

Comment

Hi

Hi, im eleven and i will be in a scoliosis brace as of this tuesday so anyone got any tips about what to wear???? I will be wearing a gold standard brace or a boston brace. So clothing tips and any other things any of you might think i need to know. I mostly know or have been told the things you guys have mentioned already and i dont really shpo at Hollister and places that sell tight shirts.

Comment

Tips from a vetran!

Heyy guys! so, I definatly feel your apprehension. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 11 and wore a brace for 5+ years. So, I have some tips for you both:
        1. Pants are tricky, I am really really rediculously short, so I could never find pants that fit lengthwise as well as in the waist. I would suggest looking at maternity pants (I know, I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do)
        2. You mentioned that you like Hollister and Abercrombie, etc. I know this may sound painful, but the majority of their clothes will not work. They may fit, and may look okay with the brace initially, but the thin material that most of those shirts are made with will be torn up by the brace. you will get white marks and holes all over the front of these shirts. Don't waste the money on shirts unless they are very high quality and not tissue-paper thin.
        3. try flipping the undershirts over, so that the bottom straight edge, is at your neck; then put your brace on as usual. flip the edge of the shirt over the edge of the brace. this preserves the comfort of the shirt, but still only leaves your bra straps showing without having to worry about the strapless shirts slipping below your brace.
        4. Be patient, clothes are not something you will pick up right away. My aunt had scoliosis and told me that while scoliosis sucks, it has a benefit: new wardrobe when its on, new wardrobe when you get it off.
        5. good luck and hang in there! before you know it, you'll get your back braces off and it is the best feeling on this planet.
        Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
        -Virgel

Comment

Worried about what to wear

Hi Cat Eyes! I'm getting a brace too. I have no idea what to wear. I don't really mind people knowing I have it on. I just don't want people to see it. So we are pretty much going through the same thing.

Comment

Hi Rosebud9, clothes seem hard at first but you'll figure it out especially if you are not too self-conscious about the brace. My kid wears what she wants but finds leggings (over the brace but under tops) easiest because they don't catch on the back of the brace. Tops that work are whatever you like in a little bit bigger size. If you want to hide the brace more, look for baby-doll, or empire waist tops. If your mom is helping you, tell her to look at gap, old navy and CWDkids.com for those kinds of tops.
            mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
            Providence night brace, increased to 35*
            Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
            14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
            currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Eyes View Post
              Hey,
              I am not yet in a brace but will be as of next week. I am scared and really unenthusiastic. I know that it will elp me with my scoliosis, but right now I have a bigger problem. I have absalutly no idea what to wear. Are there things that hide your brace better then others.
              I love to wear Hollister and Aero. they make really tight shirts. Can I still shop there? If so would I have to buy larger sizes then what I wear? Please help me anyone that has a brace and deals with the fashion too!
              i sorry to break your burst but if i where you i would get losse shirts that dose not show the brace because it has valrow on the back of the brace

Comment

Working...
              X