Anyone heard of Expedium rods before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of Expedium rods before?

I spoke with Dr. Lauerman's nurse practicioner today and she told me that he plans to remove my Isola rods and replace them with Expedium rods. I understand they are fairly new and I have never heard of them before as they are not mentioned in any of the books I've read. Can anyone tell me anything about this system? Pros...cons...

Also, I found out that he is going to do a pedicle subtraction osteotomy at L3 and a posterior fusion at L2-L4. I'd love to hear from anyone who has undergone a similar procedure. It's getting down to the wire. My first autologous blood donation is next Friday. Tick tock.

Thanks,
    Brandi
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

I have them... in my op report it says they used the Expedium system-- which is made by DePuy. You can google some info-- I did a long time ago. Mine are stainless steel, but I think they come in titanium as well. I think they are just normal up-to-date (state of the art) rods and screws, etc. that are being used by many surgeons, depending on which manufacturer they choose. Maybe someone else knows more. I'm out of time this morning, but if you have some other questions I can make time later. I had osteotomies too (see my sig). When is your surgery? How long (levels) was your initial one? Best wishes for a successful revision! Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
    X