I sit as close as possible to the steering wheel when driving;
    take long hot showers with the water beating on my lower back;
    stretching and hanging from a bar are good things
    (not hanging out at a bar);
    picking up after my kids when they were young with my toes
    (got really good at that);
    I use to like to have my back pushed in when I got hunched over
    and couldn't stand up straight
    (now I try not to do the things that got me hunched over).

I would love to hear about the little things you have leaned to help you cope better and that may help myself and others.

Thanks,
    dd
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Anyone?? Anything that makes your life easier??

Thanks,
    dd
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

The one thing that made my daughter's life easier, in fact cured her, was surgery. But I think you want some other type of answer.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Things that help me are swimming and exercising in a warm (90 degrees) pool and the cobra position (Yoga - laying on your stomach and pushing up your upper body).
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Arnica Gel
          Yoga
          Walking
          Wet Heat
          Camomile & Eleuthero tea
          Bio-Feedback
          Pain Psychologist

And probably not what you were seeking..
          Medacine for joints
          Medacine for fresh start in the mornings
          shots in back every few months

!!!!!!!!
          My Husbands Love

dani

Comment

Many of your points were helpful to me before my surgery. I had to LOL at your picking up after your kids with your toes. I've always been able to use my feet like that, and now after surgery, it's even more of a help!

Back to your list--the thing is, those things helped me for a while, but as the years wore on, and I became worse and worse, it just wasn't enough. I think one of the most wonderful things now is that I can stand around, shopping or whatever, without getting that horrible lower back ache that I used to get.

Good luck to you,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Great suggestions - keep them coming!

Funny that you mention shopping - another thing I have a hard time with.

Anyone else get occasional hip pain and what do you do for that.
              dd
              57 yr. old female
              Pembroke Pines, FL

Comment

My hips hurt quite frequently, if I ice them right when they start hurting, I can usually nip it in the bud, otherwise heat and NSAID's later.

I always sit with a lumbar pillow and do daily stretches/exercises.
                35 years old. Boston braced from age 11-16. S curve 37* thoracic, 29* lumbar. Right arm, right sided thorax pain.

Comment

What helped me

I had surgery(a revision) at the age of 60. Before that I got lot of help from Pilates and walking but severe curves at our age progress relentlessly and I saw the writing on the wall. I had already lost lung tissue, got more and more out of breath and woke up at night from nerve pain which didn't bother me so much during the day. The methods which helped me before became increasingly ineffective.

I opted for the surgery and, 6 years later I am pain free and gainfully employed. Without it I would surely have become a burden on my husband and family.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

"Anyone else get occasional hip pain and what do you do for that."

GENERIC NAME: nabumetone
                    BRAND NAME: Relafen
                    DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Nabumetone belongs to a class of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Other members of this class include ibuprofen (Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), naproxen (Aleve) and several others. These drugs are used for the management of mild to moderate pain, fever, and inflammation. They work by reducing the levels of prostaglandins, chemicals produced by the body that are responsible for pain, fever and inflammation. NSAIDs block the enzyme that makes prostaglandins (cyclooxygenase), resulting in lower concentrations of prostaglandins. As a consequence, inflammation, pain and fever are reduced. Since the response to different NSAIDs varies from patient to patient, it is not unusual for a doctor to try different NSAIDs for any given condition. The FDA approved nabumetone in December 1991.

Seriously thou? Arnica Gel is.. the best. I cant give it enough praise, no smell, and unlike "Icy hot" which soothes.. arnica gel sooths but also gets effected area back in to action!

*huggs*
                    dani

Comment

ddr

Some of those things work, but some don't.

I don't know how you can sleep on a water bed, I have never, ever, been able to sleep on one. I use a memory foam mattress topper myself.

I find a hot tub to be very nice. Any time my wife & I have gone to a resort, I can be found at the hot tub. I can spend hours and hours in one. Park myself in front of a jet and let it massage my back to goo.

Stretching is key! I've learned to stretch without really making it look like a stretch too.

Massages by my wife are key too! (when her nails are not too long that is) The best thing about this is my wife feels good about helping me, I end up feeling better, and it usually progresses into extra-curricular activities.

Brad
                      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                      Still have 57 degree curve
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                      Preop xray (with brace on)
                      Postop xray

Comment

dani-I've tried icy hot. I'll have to check out the Arnica Gel. Thanks

Brad - too much information! Seriously though, I'm 57 now and have been sleeping on a water bed (with the foam inserts) since my early twenties. I had back pain at night ever since I can remember until I started sleeping on a water bed. For me, it's because the bed forms to the shape of my back.

dd
                        dd
                        57 yr. old female
                        Pembroke Pines, FL

Comment

My Pain Reliever

I"m 47 now, and had my surgery in 1987 at the age of 25. I felt mostly good until a few years ago when I started having lots of lower back/upper hip pain. My thought is that the area of my back that isn't fused has taken all the stress and strain. Anyway, when I drink Monavie the pain is greatly reduced, and when I don't I'm in pain again. I can't explain it, but it's probably either the extremely high antioxidants or the glucosamine. Stretching helps also. And avoiding lifting things. But now that I'm drinking Monavie I can jump on the trampoline with my 15 year old son!

Comment

Working...
                          X