Quackwatch and Schroth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jinseeker View Post
    As for fusionless surgery, I am very curious about that. Would it enable the patient to still retain all flexibility he/she had before and not have to get rods and screws implanted onto their spine?
    Yes, these procedures allow patients to retain complete flexibility.

And yes, if the procedure is successful, patients can then avoid rods/screws/fusion. The good thing is that doctors are learning more and more who the best candidates are for both VBS and tethering so that the vast majority of these surgeries have an excellent chance for success (if the doctors don't think the procedure has a good chance for success, they will not put a patient through surgery). As I stated above, you need to have a decent amount of growth remaining for either VBS or VBT (tethering).

Hope this info is helpful.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      My DIL is not opposed to exercise for scoliosis. But she knows there are limitations.
      I think most reasonable people would agree with her.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        How will any change in the curve between standing and laying down ever be relevant to letting a person avoid surgery? We have a person on this group who worked out a lot and she had two large NON-structural curves. She STILL needed surgery if only to hope to save her lumbar.

What EXACTLY is the relevance of whether a curve changes upon laying down to avoiding surgery for life? Is there any logical progression of thought on that by trained people? Where?
        Wouldn't that be considered hysterical scoliosis if they were BOTH non-structural? It sounds like this girl/woman has some sort of connective tissue disorder to me. I don't know how you could non-surgically address the tendons and ligaments around the spine that hold it in place. It's not a matter of strengthening muscle, which I don't know how that could be improved around the spine, either. If your ligaments around your spine are like rubber bands, you're pretty much sunk. =(

Whatever combination of things I have, I exhibit both hyper-flexibility(suggested Ehler's Danlos) AND extreme muscle spasms and hardening (dystonia/myotonia). They are in different places in my body. My skin is pretty much stretchy. I have no stretch marks after three children. Most of the muscle hardening is in the neck, shoulders and upper back, right where my nasty curve is.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          ??? You asked me to stay out of it between Pooka1 and you. Please, don't drag me into it by asking me my opinion. I try to be friendly to EVERYONE here.
          ??? I have never asked your opinion, I just only said you I didn’t want to fight against you. Of course you can be all the friendly you may want with her or other people also supporting what she does here, if you want to also be part of what they does, is your decision not mine.
          Last edited by flerc; 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

i had bending X rays a few years ago, with Dr Lonner...laying on table....
            i was under impression, and i could be wrong, that bending
            X rays tell something about flexibility.....
            for me, it was a shock to learn that any bending i can still do
            is GRAVITY dependent...taking away gravity with a bending X ray
            showed me i can barely bend at all anymore, without the assistance
            of gravity to pull on me....

i forgot which football player it was....Manning maybe...?
            but it was mentioned yesterday that the losing team guy
            had "several" operations on his neck... one of them fusion, due
            to football injuries, problems, etc....

i thought WOW....i am shocked the guy could ever play football
            after that....how does one play football without being able to turn
            one's neck....????
            i knew a woman who had fusion in her neck...she had to turn her
            whole body to look at anyone...her neck could not turn at all....

i don't know anything much about football, but it sounds like that
            could be a BIG problem for that game...and most any sport!!!!

jess....and Sparky, just turned 7

Comment

Hey Jess,

I was just thinking of you the other day. HAPPY 7TH BIRTHDAY SPARKY!!! Time flies, doesn't it? I can't believe Jackie will be 5 in June!

Yes, that's Peyton Manning who had the surgeries on his neck. Amazing, huh? Not only about not being able to turn his neck, but also about playing such a violent game following fusion surgery on one's neck. I guess that's why so many people were pulling for him to win yesterday. Well that's one reason - that he's such a great 'comeback' story. He also seems to be one of the good guys.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Here is some info on Peyton Manning's surgeries. You can google and find more. Yes, he is one of the good guys, as Maria said. I am one of a bunch of Hoosiers that were so disappointed when the Colts dropped him, and many of us end up rooting for the Colts AND Peyton with the Broncos, just out of loyalty. Last night's game was such a series of unfortunate events, but again, Peyton dealt with the public and the reporters in a class-act way.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...on-of-the-neck

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-...iacontentstory
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                  ??? I have never asked your opinion
                  I'm understanding you have interpreted this
                  Originally posted by flerc View Post
                  Do you see how much impossible is to talk with Pooka1 saying what she use to say?.
                  as a question. At least in my country is very common to say 'Do you see...?' when we really are wanting to say 'You can see now..!' It was an affirmation.. showing a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinseeker View Post
                    Since it has stopped in my late teens, I would think that the only reason my curves were to progress in the future would be because of degenerative discs or vertebrae
                    I would not be so sure. A logic explanation is that growth is a force which may change for itself the spine shape, leading the curve to increase, so when that force stop in adulthood, is reasonable to hope progression to stop too.
                    But when you are in a vertical position, you may see the gravity force pusshing the apex of your curve toward the convex side, so even if discs and vertebrae would be in a perfect state,.. wich is the force opposing to the gravity force? of course must to be some body tissue, I don't know which, but probably it is not enough strong and then the apex begin to move toward the convex side and of course the curve begin to increase.

Comment

• Most peoples' curves flatten out somewhat when the patient lies supine. It's also hysterical or functional scoliosis if the curves flatten completely.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• All of your neck rotation comes from the occiput to C2, so a 1 level ACDF below that level would have almost no effect on rotation.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• thanks Maria....
                          they grow so fast....

i cannot imagine the violent hits that football players take
                          and not damaging some parts of the neck and spine....
                          or making existing damage worse.

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                            Here is some info on Peyton Manning's surgeries. You can google and find more. Yes, he is one of the good guys, as Maria said. I am one of a bunch of Hoosiers that were so disappointed when the Colts dropped him, and many of us end up rooting for the Colts AND Peyton with the Broncos, just out of loyalty. Last night's game was such a series of unfortunate events, but again, Peyton dealt with the public and the reporters in a class-act way.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...on-of-the-neck

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-...iacontentstory
                            Two very interesting articles - thanks for sharing them.

Peyton has always been a class act.

We are big sports fans in my house - and right or wrong, I often have a hard time rooting for some of these guys who have had serious off-the-field issues - or who I know are just not good, decent people. Some would say that I should put that aside, they are not role models, etc. Maybe they're right, but as a fan, I can also root for whoever I choose to.

For instance, I happen to be a Mets fan, but one of my favorite athletes in any sport is Mariano Rivera. He is just a class act. Like most Mets fans, I have no particular love for the Yankees, but I could never root against Mariano. I actually cried when he got hurt a couple of years ago.

Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked......
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Most peoples' curves flatten out somewhat when the patient lies supine. It's also hysterical or functional scoliosis if the curves flatten completely.
                              So what does this say about treatment for people with this kind of scoliosis? I think it was Pooka1 who mentioned a long while back that someone totally corrected under general anesthesia? I suppose you could brace them, but they'd have to be braced FOREVER if there were an underlying connective tissue disorder. Maybe that's why they took both kinds of x-ray when I was a kid?
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                                Most peoples' curves flatten out somewhat when the patient lies supine. It's also hysterical or functional scoliosis if the curves flatten completely.
                                I don’t understand if it’s only a definition or an useful concept. I have read hysterical scoliosis are those present only in a vertical position and also having not a rotational component, something really strange since any bending in the frontal plane would lead to rotation of vertebrae involved. Also I have read structural curves are the opposite to hysterical ones.
                                But what if someone having a stiff structural curve, after a treatment get a very much flexible spine, so in the absence of gravity force, all vertebrae are aligned in the frontal plane? Should it also to have not rotation the curve being standing up to be considered an hysterical scoliosis? I suppose they are referring to vertebrae shape, not to flexibility really.

Comment

Working...
                                X