Merry Christmas and Happy Chanakah & Current News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas and Happy Chanakah & Current News

Hi Everyone. I'm glad to see that those who've had their operations are doing good. I just haven't felt like coming in; or, frankly, haven't been on the computer as I reached a point where I couldn't sit long. Approximately three weeks ago, I had a pain start up in my back, around the midline and at the time, felt like it was on the right side. Throughout the day, it just got worse and by the next morning, I was at a good "9" on the scale. I called the spine doctor and they suggested I go to the ER but I told them I wanted to talk to someone there first. They called me back and asked if I could come in and I said I would. Lord, have mercy! Every movement was agony. They have valet parking or I couldn't have done it. I got upstairs and when the nurse came to get me, she looked at my face and said "you're in a lot of pain, aren't you?" So, Xray first, then I saw the PA and he told me the good news/bad news thing. 'Good' was no hardware broke and 'bad' was scar tissue had torn loose (but I don't know how much.... you know how you get away and think of all the questions you should have asked but didn't). He said they couldn't do anything about it; it will have to heal itself. I called the Pain Management doctor the first thing the next morning and a friend drove me in to see him that afternoon. The doc pulled me off hydrocodone and put me on oxycodone and cymbola and gave me several cordisone shots in the right area of my back. I felt pretty good that night but the next morning, it felt like everything had shifted over to the left side. (same song different verse) So I was able to get into the PM again and saw the medical assistant. She did the same thing on the left side, but crowned it all off with a Lidoderm patch. The other "good thing" is I don't feel the pain from the fractured pelvis as much, cause this is so bad. I suppose it's been three weeks now and I have to say I'm finally feeling better. I stay in bed a lot more and I think the extra rest has been good for me. I'm on the computer only for short spurts. It's a little tough when people ask "how did you do that?" Well, I did it the same way I broke my pelvis.

I hope everyone else is doing well and looking forward to a joyful holiday. This sure beats the year that I spent the Christmas holiday flat on my back (under 30 degrees) in a nursing home.
    Diane in Dallas
    Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
    Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
    Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
    Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Dear Diane,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been having more issues of pain. I hope the cortisone shots are helping you. What are they giving you for the osteoporosis? What ever it is, I certainly hope it helps in time so that you don't keep getting these pain issues. I hope you have a wonderful pain free Christmas this year. This time last year, I was discharged from the hospital on Christmas Eve day. I am thankful to be up and about enjoying the holidays this year. God Bless! Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for your response Sally. I think I'm finally starting to see light at the end of this tunnel and after three months + numerous other three and four month stents, it sure feels good.

I truly wish a good holiday season to every person in this forum as we all suffer from one degree to another. On the other hand, I'll bet your can't find a tougher bunch or at least we are in the same ranks as those who are fighting cancer and battling other bad diseases. I love that quote... "what doesn't kill us will just make us stronger."
      Diane in Dallas
      Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
      Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
      Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
      Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
      Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Diane,

I'm so disappointed to return only to hear you're in yet more pain. This is just not fair! Thank goodness your pain management doc has things under much better control now, & I so hope the tear (& pelvis!) heals quickly for you.

I hope your Holiday season are as pain-free & happy as possible.

Take good care of yourself...and thanks for updating us when you're up to it.

Comment

Working...
        X