Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shailene Woodley of the show Secret Life of the American Teenager on her scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shailene Woodley of the show Secret Life of the American Teenager on her scoliosis

Yesterday one of my mothers co-workers told her about reading somewhere online about actress Shailene Woodley, who plays Amy on the ABC Family show Secret Life of the American Teenager, and the fact that she has scoliosis and had to wear a back brace. I could not find the exact article she read, but I did find a video of an interview she did on E! News back in September. I also posted a link to the video, in
    case the one I posted does not work.

In the interview she not only talks about her scoliosis, but also lifts up her shirt to show her brace! Not only did it make me feel good just to know that someone else (and an actress at that!) had to go through the same thing, but also had the courage to show her brace on national television.
    I wore a brace from the time I was 10 until I was 14, and I can only imagine how that would've made me feel to know someone else my age was going through the same thing, and being so brave about it.

See girls(or you too, boys), even with that silly ol back brace, you can still do anything!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/53HdyMeQAiQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/53HdyMeQAiQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.shailene-woodley.com/?sta...ubaction=&id=&

interesting - thanks for sharing! My daughter and I just watched the Entertainment Today clip on Youtube and it was meaningful for my daughter to see someone "famous" going through a similar issue. (thus far the only famous people who I've heard of that have scoliosis are too old for my youngish daughter to know who they are - even though she's never seen "The Secret Life..." she knows who this girl is (unlike say, Rene Russo or even Sarah Michele Gellar)
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

wow! that is really great to know that wearing a brace will not stop you from being amazing! i love that show and its very comforting to know that you can hide the brace underneath pretty clothes without wearing only baggy t-shirts! i have seen every episode and i never would have guessed that she has scoliosis! i recently went to the doctor and was told that there is a good possibility that i will have to trade in my nighttime-only providence brace for a boston. i was really scared but this just makes me feel like there's no reason to be! thank you for posting that!

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I'm so glad that could make you feel better!!
        I'm sure going from only wearing the brace at night to wearing one all day is pretty scary to think about. I had to wear a Boston brace for about 4 years, myself, so if you have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them!

Comment

=)

Hey is there a way you can try to post the link again?? I just got my brace a couple days ago, and it's HORRIBLE! I can barely breathe and my ribs hurt!! Shailene is my favorite celebrity so knowing that she went through the same thing is really comforting! The link didn't take me anywhere, but I really want to see the interview!

i have a 45 degree curve up near my shoulders and a 25 near my hips. I had no idea it was so bad!
          curves:
          47 T
          25 L

got my boston brace on Jan. 13, 2009

i haven't had in-brace x-rays yet but I am getting them on March 4th

Comment

http://www.shailene-woodley.com/?sta...ubaction=&id=&

This should work, just go to the bottom of the page and you'll find the video!
            Sorry it took me a while to reply!

Comment

lots more

There's a whole list of celebrities at www.scoliosis-world.com/cat28.htm
              and others, too. America Ferrara, Darryl Hannah, and others of the most
              beautiful and talented people in the world.

Comment

Wow!

That's cool she wears a brace cause I'm getting one too!

Comment

A question about Shailene!

I love Shailene! She is so cute, and reminds me of myself in some ways. Does anyone know what kind of brace she wore??

-Stephanie

Stephanie. Fifteen.
                  Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
                  2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
                  1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
                  Curves are reversing in my brace!
                  Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
                  and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
                  2 Halves.
                  1 body.
                  A curve.
                  So what?
                  Mistakes.
                  They lie.
                  Within.
                  My spine.