Update on Jesse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Jesse

Jesse's on the regular floor now. They took him off the pca this morning and changed his dressings. He'll have oxycodone during the day and oxycontin during the night. They've lowered his dose of valium as well. He is running a low grade fever. The nurses had him up and in the chair yesterday evening and he was in the chair this morning. He walked from the bed to the door and back. Their hoping to have him walk a little in the hall later today.
    With all the posts about constipation, I was nervous, but they've been giving him colase since EARLY yesterday morning. He's been drinking well since Monday night and had some saltines today. The nurses said Jesse's really strong and doing quite well.
    I am craving a night with stretches of sleep lasting more than 2 hours! I feel like it was when he was an infant,"nap while the baby naps".
    Thanks everyone for checking in.
    Bethany

BEthany--

It did occur to me as well that those early post-op days are a little like having an infant, sleep-wise. Don't worry, they'll be gone before you know it.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Sounds good, Bethany. Hopefully Jesse will avoid the constipation. Keep up the good work Jesse!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It sounds like he's doing really well. Getting off the morphine so early is a very good thing, my daughter was on it too long but I didn't know that at the time. As soon as she was off, she perked up and started eating.

Hope everything continues so well, for Jesse. Take care.

Comment

Bethany - Thanks for posting about Jesse. Sounds like he's doing fabulous! He'll be out of that "newborn" stage very soon, I'm sure. I hope he continues to do well and he has a smooth and uneventful recovery.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

So great to hear that Jesse is doing good. It is so funny I said that it was like having a newborn too the sleep part anyway, well alot of other things too. Before you know it he will be driving you crazy. Wish him well and tell him to keep moving it really is the best thing
            Catherine
            Mom of 14 year old Danielle
            T45 degree curve Feb 2008
            T47 degree curve May 2008
            T50 degree curve Sept 2008
            Surgery Nov 24th 2008
            Ontario, Canada

Comment

That all sounds great, Bethany.

Take care of yourself, too. Mary Lou (Snoopy) and some others gave me that advice.

sharon
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Glad to hear that Jesse is doing so well!

You rest up too!

I've seen several posts about others who've said their children have run low-grade fevers. What is that about? Does it usually resolve itself before they go home?

Marian

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
                  I've seen several posts about others who've said their children have run low-grade fevers. What is that about? Does it usually resolve itself before they go home?
                  Hi Marian,

Fever (especially low-grade) is often an indication of pain. The body is amazing. When in pain, the body is fighting with all its might to get rid of the pain. Fever is often a result. Braydon tends to spike fevers with uncontrolled pain (102+ for 20 mins, then it's gone). So yes, once the pain is controlled, the fever goes away.

Also, low grade fevers indicate mild infection. Sometimes it takes a couple days after surgery for the body to re-generate the blood supply and clean out the wound(s). Fever can mean many things, but they don't get worried about fever unless it goes high and stays.

HTH
                  Carmell
                  mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks for the information, Carmell.

Another piece of the pie gets filled in.

Marian

Comment

Bethany--

How is Jesse doing?

Comment

We're home!!!! Jesse is feeling a little better today.
                        We spent a lot of time walking loops around the floors. After every nap, meal, whatever, we'd walk, so sometimes at 4am we'd be walking the halls. I'm surprised I didn't collapse with exhaustion. He's doing well getting out of bed, but he needs help getting settled into bed and chairs. Last night Jesse slept for 3-4 hour stretches.
                        The bathroom is tough. I feel bad for him that he needs help there. He's had a couple small BM despite the fact that he's been on stool softeners, laxatives, had a sopository and an enema!
                        Jesse is off the oxycontin and they lessened his dose of oxycodone to 5 mg. They put him on tramadol and he also has the valium. He was so groggy and literally would fall asleep within 20 minutes of taking the pills.
                        We're making progress!!
                        Bethany

Comment

You certainly are making a lot of progress!

That's great!

Glad you are home.

sharon
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by babachi View Post
                            We're home!!!! . . .We're making progress!!
                            Bethany
                            Glad you all are home!

How long was his stay? Or have I not been checking the boards that frequently? Where has the time gone?

Marian

Comment

Marian,
                              Jesse had surgery on Monday, stayed in ICU til Tues. afternoon and was discharged today, so 5 days post op.
                              Bethany

Comment

Working...
                              X