Skiing/Snowboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pam

Wakeboarding sounds fun. We used to do quite a bit of high speed tubing back when I had my boats years ago. Of course we would tie 2 waterski ropes together and with that extra length the speed that was achieved upon be swung was insane. Of course the activites I did in my past were not considered normal by any means. When you go, try to be careful.

vndy
    Thats good news on the ski trip. Do we get a report? Where did you go?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

We just went up to New Hampshire, and got in 3 solid days. I'll probably be up there every weekend for the rest of the season. I haven't fallen yet, though, and that will be the real test!
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

vndy

Yrs ago, I used to ski Stowe,Smuggs,Killington and Pico quite a bit. Never went skiing in NH or Maine.

"Break a leg" is a well-known saying in theatre which means "good luck". It is typically said to actors before they go out onto stage to perform.

Should we use the term,"break a rod" for our sports activites?

Be careful !!!

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow, haha, this thread got quite a lot of posts.

Okay, well, I saw my surgeon on Friday. He officially lifted nearly all of my restrictions except skydiving (like I'd do that anyway! ha!), trampolines, tumbling/rolling (which I already figured out I can't do in dance lol), and unfortunately snowboarding and skiing for this season at least. Next winter he said it wouldn't be a problem, though he did say of the two he would prefer that I went skiing and that I take it very easy. I can understand why, though, and I don't mind waiting because it's only one winter. I don't want to screw up my fusion considering I'm not even a full year post-op.

Ed, yup, I am from Jersey. I loveee Mountain Creek haha, both winter and summer. Though I must say that the water during the summer is absolutely freezing!! At the waterpark, you can jump off this "cliff" into the pool and I nearly went into shock when I landed in the water! The scary thing is, I've actually seen people go into shock and have to be rescued by the lifeguards. Not really something I'm going to try again...

Thanks for all the replies and everything!
          Last edited by danceISlife; 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM.
          Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to say my two sense.
            Alright. I have snowboarded for four years. I had surgery when I was 13, and learned to snowboard when I was 16. (It wasn't an option when I was younger, couldn't afford it) My parents were crazy protective (like most rents are). I'm now 20, almost 21, and this past season they didn't even say two things about me snowboarding which was awesome... and for the first season.. I haven't gotten hurt (knock on wood). When I got told I could snowboard if I followed their rules... A ski protective back brace (made me look like an armadillo), wrist braces, butt pads, helmet, etc....
            It's is tons of fun. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Know your limits.

Comment

Nicole, I'm glad most of the restrictions have been lifted for you and I hope next season is a great season of snow on the slopes for your return! I see you can't tumble, but how is dance going otherwise? Do you feel you are able to get into the positions that you need to? Do you feel comfortable with it yet?
              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Lol, that made me laugh a little. Yeah, I could totally see my parents being the exact same way unfortunately lol. Especially if I went snowboarding, since I am under the impression that that's more harsh than skiing.

jillw- Thanks! Yeah, I mean, I've been feeling really good aside from just getting sore really easily. I'm sore a lot of the time actually, but I've just kind of gotten used to it where it doesn't phase me anymore. I feel like I've gotten back into the swing of things fairly well, though I do feel a little...disadvantaged as far as flexibility goes. All I can say is thank goodness my legs are flexible lol. Certain things are hard for me, like anything involving body rolls and just arching the back (I never realized how much you have to arch your back in dance until I realized I couldn't do it). Which makes hip-hop a little hard, but that's not exactly my "forte" in dance...I do jazz, ballet, and pointe. It's a little frustrating, but nonetheless, I'm still having a great time and sometimes don't even feel like I had surgery. And on the plus side, my perfect posture is great for ballet/pointe.
                Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you get sore easily and often feel sore. I hope that with the upcoming one year mark and beyond you'll have even more and more of those days where you don't feel like you had the surgery.

It's true there is a lot of back arching and even lateral bending in dance! I'd have to imagine it impacts balance a little also not being able to arch? OVerall it sounds like you are doing a great job compensating! I've followed your progress over the years (back when your mom posted) and have been routing for you. My daughter is only beginning her scoliosis journey, but she also loves to dance. She started competitive dance last year for tap and jazz and may pick up ballet next year (so that she can compete lyrical in the future). Given her age, there is a good chance she will go on to require fusion surgery also and I've wondered how this would impact her. Tap would probably be less affected than the others...

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us!
                  -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                  -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                  -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

jillw- Thanks, and yeah, I'm sure that the soreness will continue to improve. It does impact balance a little bit, but yeah, I am able to compensate for it fairly well. My teacher understands and if a routine has, like, backbends or something she has a few people (including myself) do something else at the same time so it's not obvious that I can't do it haha.

One thing, though. Do you have me confused with someone else lol, because I'm not aware that my mom has posted on here (and if she has, this is news to me haha)?

With your daughter, even if fusion may be down the line for her, dance is especially great for building up strength and flexibility in her muscles, particularly those of her back. And she will get back into dancing afterwards, as frustrating as it may seem at first. Yeah, tap definitely won't be affected all that much. Ballet a little, but not too much because it generally enforces perfect posture with a lot of the movements. Lyrical could be a little bit affected (as can jazz), but only by arching the back, and a routine could be modified to avoid that. I think the hardest one to get back into might be hip-hop. I don't actually do hip-hop (because honestly, I look a bit ridiculous doing it lol). I really hope that your daughter will be able to avoid fusion, but it's just good to know that she can still dance and everything.

Good luck to you and your daughter!! =]

Comment

Interesting, I'm glad the teacher works the routines around you.

You know? I went back and I do have you confused with another. Did you know that there is another Nicole who was a competitive dancer ( i.e. loved dance) who had fusion surgery about a year ago? Well, still, I'm still cheering for you!

Comment

Yeah. I mean, it's just small things. Like, in jazz my teacher likes to put shoulder rolls in (basically a form of tumbling backwards) and I can't do that anymore so it would be impossible. But it would also look silly if I was the only one not doing it, so she might have another three people not doing it to balance it rather than saying you can't do the whole dance (which wouldn't be fair anyway since we're paying for the classes and recitals are important lol). But I can basically do almost anything else.

And lol, it's okay. Thanks haha! That's ironic...

Comment

My situation was a little different, but I was skiing again about 9 months after fusion. I raced XC and my surgery was scheduled around the New England J2 Championships. I went from racing in the VT division 1 state championships, to J2's, and then into surgery 2 weeks later. I was lucky to have a good relationship with my coach, and he came to visit me in the hospital and ended up briefly meeting my surgeon. When pre-season started the next year, he had a good understanding of what I had gone through, and what my restrictions were as far as training.

I never had any problems beyond being a little sore, and have also been Downhill skiing with no issues. I never had any luck snowboarding though, and it was one of the few things I've given up on because of back pain. If you have the option, I would definitly reccomend skiing over boarding.
                          Fused T2-L3 in March, 2000
                          Hardware removed April 2003
                          Living a full, active life almost 9 years later.
                          Decided against thoracoplasty and revision to correct crankshafting and cervical kyphosis because right now a few more curves don't bother me enough to warrant more surgery.

Comment

Working...
                          X