Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I have been in a lot of pain lately. There's a spot almost at the base of my spine that hurts like mad to touch and you can feel a hard lump there. It feels like a bone. I am so tired of going to my ortho and he isn't exactly around the corner from me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Could you check with your local doctor? I don't think i ever had anything like that exactly. If your dr. thinks it merits some concern, then you can get in touch with your ortho... maybe by phone?

Comment

Is it just below or around your tailbone? The reason I ask is I had something identical to this (it hurt particularly to press on) and it was right at the base of my tailbone. It turned out to have nothing to do with scoliosis - it was actually a cyst (very uncomfortable though) - it was quite hard to the touch as well, but was not bone.
      - 39 years old
      - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
      - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
      - Harrington rod
      - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
      - New mommy as of February 2011
      - Second child - September 2013
      - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

It is actually above my tailbone. I am concerned that maybe my hardware is loose. I don't know. I don't want to jump the gun. It hurts to touch it and sitting down with my back against a chair hurts like hell. When I was getting a pedicure over the weekend, the massage chair I was sitting in rolled over that spot and I nearly kicked the lady working on my feet. It was awful.
        Brandi
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Brandi,

Well I have never had this before but my husband had something similar near his spine and they thought it was a cyst but it was just a very tight muscle. Do you go to a massage therapist? I see a wonderful lady that use to be a physical therapist and does myofascial release. She is the one that discovered it wasn't a cyst but muscle and now he is better. Just a thought but I would go see your local dr.

She said that she could tell it was muscle because it rolled or was able to move slightly. Does yours move?
          Adrienne
          1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
          1993 Rod Removal
          1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
          2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
          Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
          Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Mine doesn't move around. I've seen 2 doctors in two days and the first one thinks it's a cyst on my spine. The second one thinks it's a trigger point. I had a sonogram yesterday and the tech said it's definitely not a cyst under my skin or in my muscle. Now I have to have a CT scan to see if it's a bone or hardware issue. Does it ever end? I am so sick of doctors and I haven't even really begun preparing for surgery yet.
            Brandi
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Brandi,

I know how it feels to say to yourself "when does it end??" Well I hope that the dr's can figure what it is, cause I personally like to know, that way I can deal with it! Take care
              Adrienne
              1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
              1993 Rod Removal
              1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
              2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
              Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
              Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

So I had a CT scan and it turns out that the lump I felt in my back is hardware covered in scar tissue. Luckily, my surgeon plans to remove all of my existing instrumentation when I have my revision surgery next month.
                Brandi
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Working...
                X