Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January, February, March 2009 surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery date

Susie,

I was able to get my date added to the calendar following the directions you gave me! Thanks so much. I find I am eating less these days....I am not feeling as nervous but obviously it's hitting me in the stomach! I've been keeping myself busy with trying to get my cardio in and keeping in touch with friends on face book, which has really kept me occupied! I'm still not sure it's really set in yet lol. Take care,
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susie, thanks so much for adding us to the calendar; much appreciated.

I am very nervous as well!! I think about it all the time....and have a hard time focusing on work and family! I need to remember to be strong! It's so much easier said than done

Comment

Just added Brooklyn to the Feb. list-- her revision surgery is on the 24th, so just 3 days away...

Any others? And have we heard from some who recently had theirs?

Nervous and asccbodypro-- glad I could help in some small way. You have the BIG job ahead of you-- but so many of us have found it well worth the hard work that comes with it. Yay!
        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

updates? and reminders...

Just wondering if anyone has heard from the others who had February surgeries? These are the ones who had surgery... and I think we only heard from Brandi/bbest and Avis/theizzard...

5th - bbest (Brandi) - posterior fusion L2-L4, osteotomy @L3, and rod removal and reinstrumentation w/ Dr. Lauerman @ Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC.
          10th - theizzard (Avis) - 1st of 2 part A/P surgeries, T3 or 4 - pelvis w/ Dr. Rand, Boston
          10th - csbaby (Christy) - revision: hardware removal and replacement, T1-S1
          18th - theizzard (Avis) - 2nd of 2 part A/P surgeries (see Feb. 10th)
          24th - Brooklyn - revision: hardware removal w/Dr. Matt Cunningham @ HSS
          26th - chello_ns - fusion surgery T4-L5, in Calgary, Alberta

Also, a reminder that there are 5 coming up in March... with JenniferG leading the way:

3rd - JenniferG - T5-S1 w/Dr. Askin @ Mater Private, Brisbane, Australia
          9th - Beckymk's DD (age 14) - posterior, upper T - lower L @ Shriner's in Chicago
          16th - nervous - T4-T12 w/ Dr. Hurford, Urbana, IL
          25th - jesscv - fusion surgery
          30th - Doodles (Janet) - posterior (hopefully just posterior) T3-pelvis w/ Dr. Lenke in St. Louis

Of course, this is probably a partial list because there may be some I am not aware of... If you have others you know of, please PM me or add them to this thread.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Joy View Post
            ... It gives you something to look forward to while you are wondering the first week what the heck you signed on for!!!!
            LMAO, Nancy ... I know I'm late reading this, but that describes it SO nicely! I can completely relate to the "what the heck you signed on for".

During that first week home (and no PCA), I swore the that little elves (ANGRY elves - in little pointy elvin shoes) snuck in at night just to kick me in the ribs. Of course, once I got up every day and moved around, it got better ... my vocabulary during the first 30 minutes of my day consisted on "ugh!", "ugggggh" and "UGH!".

While I never regretted having the surgery, I did wonder a few times that first week home, "What did I DO to myself? Did I REALLY hurt that bad?". Of course, the answer was "YES!", but as the original pain was completely gone (and was from the moment I woke up after surgery), the point of reference was too ;-).

It's great to hear you're doing so well! How's it going being back at work?

You're such an inspiration ;-).

Best regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Any news yet from Beckymk regarding her daughter's surgery on the 9th???

Corrected to 15°

Comment

adding on...

I added doodie/Julie on to the list. That makes two surgeries on the 16th-- coming up really quickly! Doodie and nervous both have theirs then. Best wishes and prayers for very successful surgeries and relatively quick and uneventful recoveries, ladies. Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Just added smollick on March 25th...

Anyone hear about nervous/Rachel and how it went yesterday? I know doodie/Julie's husband posted in the "It's almost here!" thread.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                    Any news yet from Beckymk regarding her daughter's surgery on the 9th???
                    I was late to get on & update. It was hard as I really couldn't leave Carolyn's side much at the hospital.

Her surgery went well. They said they got great correction but *whew* she was a BEAR. She is getting better now but still pretty much a couch potato.

We had some issues with her pain medications making her super, super dizzy so we had to switch types and of course, the hospital was not that great for recovery. She tended to have her days/nights mixed up but it's getting better on that front. Now it's only a few times a night I have to get up but still enough to make me *yawn* very tired as Carolyn prefers the couch to sleep on, so I am downstairs in the recliner.

The tutor is coming over today, although I'm really doubting they are going to get much of anything done. Carolyn is also bored at the moment but too sore to really move around much.
                    Becky
                    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks, becky.

It's almost time to let this thread die out, but not quite-- Doodles (Janet) has hers on Monday. Our thoughts and many prayers are with you all, momw/scoli and Emily, and with you, Janet. Soon you'll be on the other side of all that waiting and wondering... and ready to start on your recovery. That's very exciting!

Has anyone heard from either smollick or jesscv? They both had surgery on the 25th...

PS-- anyone who read this earlier-- yes, I got confused and thought Emily's surgery was today... but it's May 28th. (I think!)
                      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-28-2009, 08:34 AM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I've tried to add myself to the April Calendar following your instructions, without luck. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I'm not sure what. My surgery is scheduled for April 28, with Dr Rand at New England Baptist.

The trouble I'm having is that someone else is also scheduled that day so when I try to add mine, It just gives me all of her info, and says I'm trying to modify hers. Can you offer me any suggestions beyond your post on how to add myself to the calendar? Thanks, Jo
                        -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                        Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                        Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                        Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Hi Jo. I haven't run across anyone having that problem... I may see what happens if I try it too. Then we can delete my try if it succeeds.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Jo-- I think it just worked for me... although it has to be approved by a moderator before it shows up. Did you click on "add new event"?

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hi Susie, Thank you, I do see my surgery on the calendar now. I thought I had followed your steps, but I must have made a mistake. I got something that said I was trying to modify the existing post. I probably should have kept trying, but I didn't want to mess up the other person's post. I'll try again if you think it's better for me to post my own surgery. Is there a benefit to doing it on my own, or should we just leave it there? Let me know what you think is best. Thanks again, Jo
                              -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                              Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                              Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                              Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Jo-- it really doesn't matter who posts it. If you want to do it yourself, then I will delete mine. Just let me know. You can put whatever you want to in it-- like including the levels that will be fused, the doctor, etc. I usually put the person's name in the title, so that it shows up with their name on the "event" listing below birthdays that day. If it's just listed as "surgery" it doesn't show whose-- you have to click on it to get that information.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Working...
                                X