Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about scheduling a first appointment to Dr. Boachie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about scheduling a first appointment to Dr. Boachie...

Hello everyone,

I would like to set up a first appointment to see Dr. Boachie. I have been seen by few other top doctors in NYC area and had a surgery scheduled with one of the surgeons which i had later cancelled due to being uncertain about surgery at the time. Now, two years later and after reading all the positive things about Boachie, i decided to see him and I believe with him i am in good hands like many have said here. I am still not 100% ready for surgery, but, would like to get his opinion on it. I know that at one point i will have to have surgery but i guess i am just afraid to go through with it and i do have two young children. So basically i am just scared of the complications and worried if surgery would make my life better or worse. If i will have to have surgery within the next few years, then i would do it now and put it all behind me especially since i have a great nanny who would help me tremendously during recovery with my two kids.

But, like many of you, i am afraid to even contact the office because of the insurance problems many have had. I have a good medical plan (Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan) but he is sure not in it. So, my question is, is the first appointment out of pocket as well and how much did you pay? and how soon will i be able to get an appointment?

Many thanks!!

Mariya
    30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
    8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
    3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
    4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
    2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

you can find out if he is in your plan by going on line and seeing who your insurance covers. there is a way to do it but i am not sure how to tell you. i paid $450 to see him the day i saw him. i saw another doc in new york who submitted to my insurance first and then when it was rejected, they sent me a bill for $350. now this coming Monday i am taking a train to Boston to see Dr. Rand, but he is in my plan. I am in Pennsylvania so i should not have to pay more than my copay. I don't think boachie accepts any insurance at all which is very difficult for many of us.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Mariya,

I went to see him after I had already gone to another Dr in the area and had Xrays taken. That way I didn't have to pay the out-of-network expense of having the Xrays taken at Dr. B's. I was charged $450 for the office visit which I paid via credit card.

Do you have out of network coverage? I was told that my insurance plan paid him very well. For instance, they paid over $350 of the $450 back to me. I didn't go with him in the end anyway, but if I did, I don't think it would have been too horrible with my current insurance. Also, he and the Dr. I went with both agreed on the same surgery, so I went with the guy who was in my network. I'm happy with my decision and with my results.

It did take me almost 2 months to get an appointment to see Dr. B.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Dear Debbe and Avis, thank you so much for your advice.

I will call my insurance and confirm with them all the information about the doctor visits and out of network and the whole process. I checked online and he is not listed under my plan.

Debbe, I also saw Dr. Newrith and read his book that was suggested on this forum. I can't remember if he was in my plan or not. I also have some x-rays from previous doctor visits. THis reminds me of the other doctor I had seen two years ago and I had to pay for all the visits but the surgery they said would be covered under the insurance plan. I have to agree, it is difficult when you try to understand the whole insurance process!

Thanks!!

Mariya
        Last edited by mariya; 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM.
        30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
        8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
        3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
        4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
        2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by mariya View Post
          Dear Debbe and Avis, thank you so much for your advice.

I will call my insurance and confirm with them all the information about the doctor visits and out of network and the whole process. I checked online and he is not listed under my plan.

Debbe, I also saw Dr. Newrith and read his book that was suggested on this forum. I can't remember if he was in my plan or not. I also have some x-rays from previous doctor visits. THis reminds me of the other doctor I had seen two years ago and I had to pay for all the visits but the surgery they said would be covered under the insurance plan. I have to agree, it is difficult when you try to understand the whole insurance process!

Thanks!!

Mariya
          Mariya,

When you do have these appointments, make sure you do bring your old xrays with you.

During this past year, I learned my insurance plan inside and out. Sometimes I feel that I know it better than the insurance company, when I have to call them and tell them how they screwed up processing a claim

If you have out of network coverage, you might be surprised what they cover.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Unfortunately, Dr. Boachie will not let you book surgery unless you can tell them exactly what your out of network benefits will pay. i am still waiting for my letter from dr. boachie to send to my insurance to figure out what they will pay and my appointment was october 13th.
            avis
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi,
              I had my surgery in Aug 2006. I was very concerned about insurance & what would be covered. I had the office send a pretermination to my insurance company back in Jan 2006 but I did not hear that it had been approved until June 2006. Due to increasing costs, the insurance co(Aetna) said it would probably not be approved until much later and I began to think I would not know until I was rolled into the operating room.
              It's enough to anticipate this kind of huge operation than to worry about the costs. I was afraid we would have huge medical bills to pay for the rest of our lives. But all worked out and about 98% of my bills were covered. I have a
              PPO Plan.
              My rehab facility was covered in full(5 days at Kessler) The hospital (HSS) was covered in the end with a bit of contact work to the insurance co. on my part...
              You can always speak to Theresa about insurance matters and see if you qualify.
              Best of luck, Lynne
              ps. My initial visit was about $350 but that's a few yrs ago...
              ant/post surgery Aug 2006 Dr. Boachie/Kim
              Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 12-10-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X