What Do You Put on Permission Slips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Put on Permission Slips

Just a curious question for the parents of kids who are post-op. When your child brings home a permission slip for a field trip and it has a space for medical issues/problems, do you list your child's spinal fusion?

When Jamie brings home her packet of papers at the beginning of every school year, I always list her spinal fusion. When she brings home a permission slip for a field trip, I also list it on the form. Jamie isn't happy when I do, but I feel I need to do so.

Thanks. Just checking to see if I'm an overly cautious mom or not.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

That's a very good question.

Unless it's bungee jumping or some other restricted activity, I don't think fusion necessarily needs to be mentioned.

The kids are going to the coast for a science field trip this spring. They will visit the aquarium and go on a short research cruise IIRC. I don't see any reason to mention the fusion for this trip. There is really nothing they should do special for her because of the fusion like they would in response to my listing her allergy to sulfa drugs let's say.

I'm not going to say there will never be a field trip where I wouldn't list the fusion. There might be. We'll see.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

At the start of the school year this year in a new school, I informed the PE teacher as well as the school Principal about the surgery so that they were aware. I told the PE teacher that there might be some things that my daughter cannot do as a result (ie. touch her toes) and explained that it's not because of laziness but simply because she just cannot physically do stretch or contort that way.

The school actually sent me the forms to apply for a free medical alert bracelet for her. She said that there was no way she would wear it so I didn't bother pursuing it.

I haven't been putting anything on permission slips about her fusion.

Karen

Comment

I would list it only from the perspective that (heaven forbid) there were a wreck, the information could be quickly relayed to EMT's/doctors if my child were unconscious.

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I do and the reason is just as Pam said, If something were to happen and Patrick could not communicate I would want someone else to be aware of his medical history. Maybe it's an overprotective mother thing but it does make me feel a bit better.

Ramona
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. I put the info on the school papers for the same reason as Karen. But I recently found out that it apparently isn't good enough. If I didn't produce a note from Jamie's surgeon stating that she is unable to do sit-ups and touch her toes, she wouldn't be able to graduate in June! At our high school, part of the requirements for graduation is a physical fitness test. Hopefully the note from the surgeon will be enough.

Pam and Ramona,

That's exactly why I put the spinal fusion on permission slips. So I guess it's okay to be a "little" overcautious?

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
            X