No announcement yet.

Fusion All The Way To Pelvis??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the kind of thing those of us on *this* side of surgery need to know to help prepare for. I'm starting to try getting through my day with a straight back, without bending. I can't do squats very well because of sore knees, but this morning I fed the cat, squatting with my knees wide apart for balance and a straight back. Hopefully, I'll get better at it. At least the cat didn't laugh.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Ed,
      Thanks for the laugh.

JenniferG,
      I am proud of you. Getting your mind and body ready is an awesome thing to do. That is good advice for me to think about.
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Why are you guys even messing with panty hose? Is it a work thing? Since January's surgery, I've worn them one time and it took about 10 or 15 minutes to wiggle into them. The only way I would ever wear them again is because I have "tummy control" ones and my tummy is most definitely out of control.
        Diane in Dallas
        Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
        Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by Diane BCSW View Post
          The only way I would ever wear them again is because I have "tummy control" ones and my tummy is most definitely out of control.
          Diane,

That is just to funny. I definitely hear that one! My tummy has never gotten back to normal after my kids!!
          Adrienne
          1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
          1993 Rod Removal
          Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Fusion all the way to pelvis

Hi kate

you will do great. I am fused t2-s1 & i did well. However, my surgery was actually life or death. My age was also against me. One of my curves was 90* heading towards my lung. Soon my major organs would have been involved.
            Good luck to you. Bending can be tricky !!

Comment

Hi Kate,
              I am fused from T-3 all the way to sacrum and out to the iliac. I had the surgeries back in May 2008. I have found that its really important to be able to squat (and get back up). So work on that before surgery. You also will have to find new ways of doing some things, for me I was already making those changes for years because of back problems. All in all its not bad being fused that far, just different.
              If you look at some of my past posts(actually DH and Susi*bee posted a lot for me) I ran into some problems. I'm still fighting infection, which causes some pain and still general recovery type aches and pains (hey does the damp and cold bother anyone?)but I can mostly deal with that with OT pain relievers. Even with the negatives I'd do it all over.
              Good luck, if you want you can pm me.
              Sharon
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Thank You

Thank you everyone-I can't believe time seems to be going so fast. I received all my preop instructions and appts yesterday and I started to cry! I am not the indestructible teenager that I was for the first surgery (seriously, my parents were freaking out and I couldn't understand "mom and dad it's just back surgery"). I am making a list of stuff to bring with me to the hospital and rehab besides the normal stuff like loose fitting warmups, etc.
                any suggestions for comfort items?

Comment

Kate,

I can't remeber my last big surgery what I wore or did but in today's world everyone has a ipod or mp3 player. I would suggest your favorite music and lay there and relax. Take care.
                  Adrienne
                  1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                  1993 Rod Removal
                  Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Kate-I didn't need much in the hospital in the way of clothes because of all the tubes, you just wear gowns. But I had to have my chapstick, hand lotion, and saline nose spray. Glasses if you wear them. And slip-on shoes. The physical therapists don't like you to wear bed slippers because they don't grip your feet well and you can fall. I brought a pair of Ryka slip on tennis shoes and they were perfect. Oh, you can bring socks, but the hospital supplied me with the sleep socks with the grippers on the bottoms. As a matter of fact they gave me bright red ones because they said I was a fall risk. Ya think? Ha!

Also, I got a manicure and pedicure the day before I left for the hospital so I didn't mess with my nails at all. As a matter of fact the hospital staff kept walking by and picking up my hands to look at my nails, even when I was semi out-of-it! The nail tech did really good work apparently, and I should have brought her business cards to give out!
                    Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                    Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                    Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                    www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X