Kid books on Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid books on Scoliosis

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis a few months ago and will be picking up her brace next week. To prepare her for this I have been trying to find age appropriate books. The only one I found was "Scoliosis" by Dr. Silverstein. She likes this book and it even has a picture of a TLSO brace which is the kind she will start wearing next week. Could anyone recommend any other books for preschoolers?

I have that same book and thought it was really good for my 5 year old daughter to understand what is going on with her. She has just been diagnosed 2 weeks today. The recommendation from the first doctor we saw is for a milwaulkee brace because she has two curves. One is 25 degrees and the other 27 degrees. This is really scary from me, but I am pressing forward and things will be just fine. I will keep my eyes out for more books. If there is anyone out there that has any helpful info please let me know. I have read everything I can and I am really dreading a milwaulkee brace for 23 hours a day.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. My daughter's curves are now at 25 and 23. She received her 1st brace this week. The book was a big help in preparing her for the experince because there is a picture of the TLSO brace in it which is the kind she is wearing. There is also a picture of the milwalkee brace so I hope that will help your daughter as she waits for a brace.

A book that is great for us parents who are new to the world of scoliosis is "The Scoliosis Sourcebook" by Michael Neuwirth. I checked this book out from the library and liked it so much that I bought it and have loaned it out to family members who want to learn more about scoliosis. It is a great book to have as a reference when new issues come up about my daughter's scoliosis.

Good luck with the brace.

Susan

Comment

Working...
      X