Prodisc questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prodisc questions

Has anyone heard of Prodisc? If so what are your thoughts?

Some of you may recall that a few months ago I sent a 'happy 25th anniversary' letter to Dr. Bradford, who did my surgery. Well he forwarded that on to a Dr. Serena S. Hu in UCSF. She sent me an email yesterday saying the Prodisc 'may' help, as it has been ok'd for use for people with prior fusions.

So I am starting my research into Prodisc here to see if anyone has heard about this.

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

I have heard of Prodiscs and other artificial replacement discs. Last I heard, they were still unsure of how they would work on those with prior fusions for scoliosis. I would do a lot of research before considering one, as I'm sure you don't want to be a guinea pig. I will PM you another back pain web site I'm on, where there has been talk of Prodiscs in the past and where you can probably get lots of opinions about it.
    - 39 years old
    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
    - Harrington rod
    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
    - New mommy as of February 2011
    - Second child - September 2013
    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Hi Brad...

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that it's been approved for people with prior fusions. As far as I know, there haven't been very many surgeries where an artificial disc is placed below a long fusion. Like SIsForSarah, I would be very cautious about agreeing to something like this without a lot of proof that it's working.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Brad...

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that it's been approved for people with prior fusions. As far as I know, there haven't been very many surgeries where an artificial disc is placed below a long fusion. Like SIsForSarah, I would be very cautious about agreeing to something like this without a lot of proof that it's working.

Regards,
        Linda
        Oh I am going to be careful, and its not something I would rush into. I am in the research phase at the moment, I only got the email from Dr. Hu yesterday. I was just hoping other people here migth have heard something to add to my research.

I am also willing to give a lot of thought from a dr that Dr. Bradford sends me to. Dr. Bradford will not steer me wrong, and I have 100% confidence in his opinion, if this dr, who worked with Dr Bradford on Prodisc at UCSF thinks its doable, then I need to give that some serious thought. What she first wants me to have done is a CT/Myelogram, she said that a disc replaement might not work for me anyway.

Brad
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Postop xray

Comment

Brad.

I talked with Dr. Richard Guyer in Plano, TX (The first author of the reference below). They use CHARITE disc, not the Pro-disc. When I saw him in 2005, he told me that there was no way that he would even consider using an artificial disc below my long fusion. He stated that the forces that would be put on the artificial disc would be too great and would fail. I would just end up having surgery again or create more damage.

I don't know if there have been improvements to the technology since that time or not. It is something that you may want to ask about. Also, if this is an experimental study, you may want to find out what your recourse is financially if there is subsequent complications.

Hope this helps.
          p

Spine J. 2008 Sep 18. [Epub ahead of print]
          Prospective, randomized, multicenter Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption study of lumbar total disc replacement with the CHARITE artificial disc versus lumbar fusion: Five-year follow-up.
          Guyer RD, McAfee PC, Banco RJ, Bitan FD, Cappuccino A, Geisler FH, Hochschuler SH, Holt RT, Jenis LG, Majd ME, Regan JJ, Tromanhauser SG, Wong DC, Blumenthal SL.

Texas Back Institute, 6020 West Parker Road, Suite 200, Plano, TX 75093, USA.

Comment

Thank you for the info, Time to do some more searching.

Brad
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Postop xray

Comment

Hi Brad

I knew about these years ago and wow, time sure is flying by

Ive noticed that quite a few companies are making these now. There must be some potential here!

Also whats interesting is that they have done 2 levels with these. It would be mind boggling to think how things would work with 10 or 15 levels? Its hard to believe that that would be even possible, good question however. Ask Dr Hu if 2 is the limit next time you talk to her and I was wondering how many levels you have un-fused under your fusion? would you need 1 or 2? Also, will this be anterior?

The endplates are made of (CoCrMo) and UHMW which are some incredibly wear resistant materials.I have worked with both. I just couldnt even imagine any failure with the device at all. Anything with Cobalt and Chrome in it will be tough.

Of course Im going to look at Synthes!

http://www.synthesprodisc.com/html/Prodisc-L.33.0.html

http://www.synthesprodisc.com/html/f...36.000.401.pdf

You know that even if Dr Hu says that a pro-disc wont work for you, being fused all the way down to the pelvis isnt all that bad. I was worried about it, now at 9.5 months I can get my finger tips to within 3 inches above the floor bending over and I have absolutly NO lower pain at all.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,

Thanks for the info. Other stuff I have found gets too medical on me, but I'm going to have my wife look at the study you linked. She understand medical stuff far more than I do.

I am fused T1-L4, so I don't have a lot of room to add in discs, if that is what they do. Fusion for me is a very last option, until the pain gets so bad I cannot stand, then I'll do fusion. The scoliosis doctor I saw a few months ago also said as much as well. Right now I am in the 'looking for options so I have hope' phase. lol

As for flexability... I don't have any now, I never had, even as a child. I could bend closer to the ground on my left side, the way I was curved over, than I could from the front. I can go about halfway down my shin, and thats about where I have always been. (and thats with my arms already hanging down to my knees. lol)

Brad
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Postop xray

Comment

Hi Brad, I am so glad you are turning to research and not just relying on opinions.

Actually my revision surgery will involve artificial disc replacement, they had the research results to back it up and actually offered me the article, and I in no way feel like a "guinea pig." Maybe consider looking at the Baylor Research Institute (yes it includes Drs Shelekov and Hostin).

There seems to be a "love/hate" thing on this blog for Dr. S; but what I CAN tell you is I consulted with 3 of the docs at TexasBackInstitute in Plano and I will be dead before Dr. Sachs and his fellows touch me. Very poor experience, with little provided to me in the form of patient education (for or against). Dr Sachs was condescending (even with my family in the room-they agreed), refused to answer questions and seemed to have his mind made up before I even saw him. SCARY when you consider TBI to be such a gold standard in DFW area. Ask the docs for their research - if it is good science and unbiased they should gladly refer you to their articles. TBI acted like I asked for their tax records and I think they are selective in the literature they offer. I am in the medical profession so you think they would know how to treat me as a patient!

Anyway, theres lots out there: because I have accumulated LOTS of research both pro and against over the past 18 mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate View Post
                    Hi Brad, I am so glad you are turning to research and not just relying on opinions.

Actually my revision surgery will involve artificial disc replacement, they had the research results to back it up and actually offered me the article, and I in no way feel like a "guinea pig." .
                    Hi Kate... I'd be really interested in reading the article. Would you mind posting the title? Thanks!
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Posting of Article

Hi Linda,

I will find out the title for you - I'll be seeing him again soon. In my hyper passionate anxiety filled days I may have mixed up "cages" w/"discs."

Sorry guys! I waut awhile to post and then go crazy!!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        The endplates are made of (CoCrMo) and UHMW which are some incredibly wear resistant materials.I have worked with both. I just couldnt even imagine any failure with the device at all. Anything with Cobalt and Chrome in it will be tough.
                        Like Vitallium?
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes
                          Welcome back
                          How many turkeys did you cook?

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Yes
                            Welcome back
                            How many turkeys did you cook?
                            I'm still in Miramar.

You remember I have CoCrMo (Vitallium) rods, right?
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Yup Vitallium
                              How many?
                              Marines eat alot!

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X