No announcement yet.

Prodisc questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too much for a Mom who had ALLLLLL the kids hanging out ... always. Better them in my sight than ...

... Nor for one who cooks for Marines every chance she gets (and has, all her life ... Jett's 3rd gen Corps).
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Kate View Post
      Hi Brad, I am so glad you are turning to research and not just relying on opinions.

Actually my revision surgery will involve artificial disc replacement, they had the research results to back it up and actually offered me the article, and I in no way feel like a "guinea pig." Maybe consider looking at the Baylor Research Institute (yes it includes Drs Shelekov and Hostin).

There seems to be a "love/hate" thing on this blog for Dr. S; but what I CAN tell you is I consulted with 3 of the docs at TexasBackInstitute in Plano and I will be dead before Dr. Sachs and his fellows touch me. Very poor experience, with little provided to me in the form of patient education (for or against). Dr Sachs was condescending (even with my family in the room-they agreed), refused to answer questions and seemed to have his mind made up before I even saw him. SCARY when you consider TBI to be such a gold standard in DFW area. Ask the docs for their research - if it is good science and unbiased they should gladly refer you to their articles. TBI acted like I asked for their tax records and I think they are selective in the literature they offer. I am in the medical profession so you think they would know how to treat me as a patient!

Anyway, theres lots out there: because I have accumulated LOTS of research both pro and against over the past 18 mo.
      Hi Kate,

I've also been researching artificial disc replacement and intend to bring this up with the doctors if they don't do it first. I understand that cervical disc replacement is relatively new to the US, but not as new in Europe.

Have you had your surgery with the disc replacement or have you come across anymore research on the topic?

I've been looking at this website from Dr. Pashman on the west coast, but also looking for east coast doctors with cervical disc replacement experience. Here is a link to his website.
      http://www.espine.com/cervical-cases.htm

Does anyone know of a similarly experienced doctor on the east coast? I read something about Beth Israel Hospital but no specifics on the program or doctors.

Thanks.

Comment

I was wondering about particulates? Im sure its an issue with the motion.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,

Try Charleston, SC for the cervical prodisc. A high school classmate of mine sent me a newspaper article about the prodisc being used there with success. I don't know what I did with the article and I am on vacation right now or I would look for it for you; so I can't tell you what hospital or Doctor it was.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
          X