Bne graft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bne graft

I had scokiosis surgery in 1997. The site of the bone graft was numb for about 4 years. There is still some numbness, but as the numbness diminishes, pain has presented itself. It is most painful when I am in bed. If I move or get up, a get terrible tearing, searing pain. It is getting worse instead of better. When I am up and moving around, this area is not exactly painful, but it does feel tender, as a bruise does. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bone graft

Bone grafts do hurt. I still have aras of my surgery that are numb 15 years latser
    and my hip graft bothered me for years. however, it DID finally go away.
    It took many years, though. have you tired an anti-inflamatory like Vioxx?
    This helps me greatly with the achy bone pain. Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

Anne,

Where was your graft taken from?
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie, I am sorry to be so late in replying. My bone was taken from my right hip area. I can't think of the proper skeletal name right now. The doctor took about a cup of slivers. My surgery was seven years ago. Please don't worry about your upcoming surgery. I received only one reply from another person who had pain, so maybe I am an anomoly. If you have researched your doctor and talked to a few patients of his that have had the surgery, you have done your homework. Good luck!

Comment

Although I've never heard an actual percentage of people who have long-term pain at the bone graft site (it's usually the top of the pelvis), I would guess that it's pretty high. I'm one of the lucky ones, and never really had any pain in that area. :-)

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Bone Graft

Hi Ann & all,

I can understand where you are coming from with the problems with your bone graft. I had my surgery done in Feb '81, and my DR told me back then that the numbness should go away in about a year. Well it's almost 24 years, and I'm STILL waiting!!! My graft was done on the back of my left hip (above the cheek and it's still very sensitive, and my left leg will go numb if I sit too long on a hard surface. High school & college classes were awful! I guess some things just never heal right, and we have to learn to live with it, along with everything else that came with this lovely package called Scoliosis.
            Good luck with your graft problem. I hope yours heals quickly!

Comment

Working...
            X