Thread: Surgery with UTI (urine tract infection)

Surgery with UTI (urine tract infection)

Oh..and as an addition to my other post about reduced lung capacity....(almost forgot!!)

Has anyone every gone into surgery with a UTI and if so, how did medical staff address this to minimise the risks?? I understand that if an infection sets in the rods, this can be disastrous, but the risks are minimal, even if somebody does have a UTI prior to surgery.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Lisa

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about the setbacks.

Please note that my circumstances & body are rather different to the norm, but I have definitely gone into big surgeries with UTIs. I'm doing everything I can to not go into this one with one, but reality is, I probably will. It's for sure something to talk with the surgeon about, but there are options. If the doc's happy to operate while your daughter has a UTI, have a chat about measures that will be in place.

In Australia, history of frequent infections are met with a course of oral &/or IV antibiotics in the lead up to surgery 1(1-2 wks in advance). All patients are flooded with broad-spectrum, very potent antibiotics during a major surgery, but if the doc knows there's a specific type of bacteria to tackle, the treatment might be made more targeted. Following surgery, often antibiotics are continued for a few days, but if there's an ongoing problem with UTIs, often the antibiotics course is extended & regular urine tests are done to keep an eye on things.

Again, this is only what I know from my experiences in Oz, but I'm sure that similar procedures would be followed for any infection-risk patient. I've had a lot of surgeries over the years & only ever once had a major post-op infection despite very frequent UTIs - & that one time wasn't actually from a UTI.

All the best to your daughter for her surgery - & for getting well beforehand. Take care of yourself, too. And if you'd like to talk in more detail or anything, please feel free to PM me