Writer's buddy Weiss - pub list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's buddy Weiss - pub list

I searched pubmed for Weiss HR + scoliosis and indeed the three pages of pubs that Writer mentioned showed up.

These are 57 publications in various journals, most with Weiss as first author, dating from 1991 to 2008 inclusive. There are 4 review articles, all since 2002, amazingly (or not amazingly if this field is very different than mine). I have no idea which are peer reviewed and which are not (except of the recent one which indeed is peer reviewed as Writer claimed).

I tried to determine how many of these 57 were novel research on Schroth exercise or Cheneau bracing (i.e., Weiss' putative or most favorite field) of these articles which cover more than a few subjects. As far as I can tell, there are 14 (maybe a few more) that fit into that category. I determined this from the title in some cases when obvious or from the abstract.

Most of these 14 articles make a positive case for either Schroth exercise or the Cheneau brace. I don't know how many of these are in good, peer-reviewed journals.

Some questions I have include:

1. There seems to be a high chance of data selection in any/all retrospective studies. Were all cases that matched controls included or just some?

2. What does it mean that surgery was avoided? That is, was the length of time after skeletal maturity sufficient to be confident that surgery was avoided forever? What happens if the exercises are stopped?

3. Given Schroth has 90 years of data, why are the bulk of Weiss' pubs NOT novel research papers? Why all the reviews? Why all the papers critiquing surgery or other treatment modalities instead of papers on studies supporting Schroth?

Maybe Writer can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."
Working...
X