Sniffles before surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniffles before surgery

Okay, we're 8 days out from surgery, and Sidney (13) just came home with the sniffles from school. We think he'll bounce back before we leave for Philadelphia on Nov 10 (surgery is Nov 13), but my husband and I have to stay healthy, too, or we can't be there to support him.

I know there's nothing to do but wash hands constantly and be careful and support our immune systems (we've been doing the last two for weeks, and washing hands for the last week), but I just had to tell someone.

It's always something.

Mary Ellen

Hi Mary Ellen,

The title of your post caught my eye as it is identical to one I posted on a different forum the week before I had surgery, so I feel like I need to share the advice I got with you. I was cautioned that with certain respiratory illnesses (I would think worse than "the sniffles") they will cancel the surgery as putting in the breathing tubes becomes a problem. Not trying to scare you, but if this seems like anything more than a cold, and you can get your surgeon's O.K. to get some antibiotics or something else to get rid of it, than I'd go for it. I'd also call the hospistal to see what the protocol is for respiratory symptoms and surgery. I hope all of this just blows over and that you don't need to worry about this and that the surgery goes problem-free.

- Sarah
    - 39 years old
    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
    - Harrington rod
    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
    - New mommy as of February 2011
    - Second child - September 2013
    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Mary Ellen,

It sounds like he will be over it in time.

I bet everything goes smoothly.

Best regards,
      sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Mary Ellen,

I hope it all blows over in time - I'm sure it will.

Yes, lots of hand washing and keeping your immune systems strong is about all you can do.

I also remember I kept David out of school a few days prior to surgery but he was only 5 and we know what germ hotels those kindergarten classrooms can be!

Good luck!
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Mary Ellen,
          Good to hear from you. I am sure Sidney we'll recover from his sniffles and all will be fine. Talk to your doctors about it and i'm sure they will keep an eye on him or advise you what's best.

Have you left on your trip yet? How are you holding up? Things with us are not the best really, as we now have to make a decision regarding to proceed with surgery given added risks of reduced lung capacity and infection. However, Tahlia has another lung test on Monday and also a cystoscopy on Tuesday before our visit with the anaesthetist to discuss the risks further and then decide what to do.

We saw our surgeon yesterday who explained a lot but i was so overwhelmed by everything he told me i feel bad i didn't ask more questions and hate it when i get home and find myself with questions I failed to ask. Grrr I've been kicking myself for that.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just hate where we're at now and guess i need to let it out. This past week has been absolutely horrid.

Hugs to you and best wishes with the surgeyr.

Lisa
          Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
            We saw our surgeon yesterday who explained a lot but i was so overwhelmed by everything he told me i feel bad i didn't ask more questions and hate it when i get home and find myself with questions I failed to ask. Grrr I've been kicking myself for that.
            I've emailed a few questions to our surgeon when I forgot to ask in person. His assistant asked him and she writes back, usually the same day.

Maybe your surgeon will do the same?
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Lisa--

Thanks for asking about Sidney. There was a lot of stress around our house on Thursday evening and Friday morning before I called Shriners to let them know Sidney had the sniffles. I had taken his temp and there was never any fever--also no coughing, congestion, or even sneezing, really. I told the care coordinator that, and she said that unless something more developed, he would be fine. We immediately took him out of school and now whatever it was seems to have disappeared. And neither my husband nor I have picked it up--at least not so far! It's a huge relief. I was so stressed thought I'd be the one getting sick. While we certainly didn't want him going into surgery with a cold, we didn't want to have to go through this waiting period again unnecessarily, either.

So we are on track to fly to Philly on Monday. Clinic and a final meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday, admission on Wednesday, and surgery on Thursday. At the moment I'm feeling fairly calm, but I definitely have had some horrible moments (hours, days!), and no doubt there will be more. Sidney's doing fine.

I'm sorry to hear there's so much uncertainty around Tahlia's upcoming surgery. I can tell you that Sidney has less than 100% lung function as well. I don't know the exact amount, but I know it is significant (the report says "moderately severe"). We will find out on Tuesday how that will affect surgery and recovery. I have a feeling it's not that uncommon with scoliosis. If he has to be on a ventilator, it will help to know in advance.

Uncertainty certainly is horrid. I'm glad you (and all of us) have this forum where we can talk and vent. Hang in there. I'll be watching to see how Tahlia's lung test goes on Monday, so keep us posted.

Mary Ellen

Comment

MaryEllen, glad to hear his sniffles appear to have left. I'm thinking of you all and will be thinking of you all this week. Good luck and keep us updated if/when you get a chance to post.
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
                X