Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower back pain

Hi Everyone

I am more of a reader than a writer. But I can use some advise right now.

My ant/post surgery was June 26,27 & July 3, 2007, and I continue to have lower back pain. Went to the dr on Oct 23 and he saw a broken pedicle screw in the x-ray, but feels that the pain is not coming from that. He thinks my pain is coming from 4 screws in my lower back. He suggested that I get cortisone injections in L4 and L5 to determine if they should be removed. well, I got the injections(4) that same day. I felt fine the day after, but the pain slowly came back. I called the drs office and spoke to the PA and I have to go back on 11/7 to get more injections.

Aren't too many cortisone injections harmful?

Did anyone go through this to determine if their screws needed to be removed?

Is there any other way to determine?

I am very scared of getting too many injections. But if this is the way to find out, I guess I have to do it.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks Maria

My doctor told me no more than three cortisone shots in one year. They are used to take swelling down. A nerve root block would be used to see if the pain is from the nerve.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi RiRi, I had lots of injections for the pain but didn't have any hardware issues. It is true that you can get too many in a year because it wears your immune system down, affects your metabolism, etc. I hope you find relief soon!

Comment

pain after A/P fusion

Maria, A/P spinal fusions should be discontinued because (in my opinion) this surgery is a waste of time & money. The surgery was brutal and left me looking like a crime victim. The scars on both sides of my body look like I had an autoposy, and for what? I believe I was a ginnea pig for students to practice on. When you are asleep in a large university hospital who is actually doing the cutting and sewing. Nobody warned me about the huge disfiguring scars or the possibility of developing Flat Back Syndrome which is my latest diagnois. Flat Back is always the result of a previous spinal fusion. All I asked for was something to eliminate the chronic, sharp, sometimes dull achey pain in my right butt cheek and right leg. Well after the post op bed rest and drugs were over the pain came right back when walking. I now walk alot slower and occassional shortness of breath that I never experienced before. Nine hours of anesthesia left a few after effects especially the SOB
        which no one can explain. I cannot do my job with confidence any longer because my memory recall is not sharp any longer. Nurses need to be sharp because some doctors are not and someone needs to protect the patient from harm. Unfortunately your next surgery will be Removal of Hardware which does nothing for the pain. Although the Doctor and the hospital get a nice insurance check at your expense.
        Good luck. Best Regards, Meg

Comment

Working...
        X