Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder/Shoulder Blade issues

Hi,

I was at PT yesterday for my shoulder (recent rotator cuff surgery) and on some of the things we are doing my shoulder blade gets caught or rubs/cracks over my back ribs. He is seeming to think me avoiding that catch and pain associated with it forced me to use my shoulder incorrectly thereby tearing the rotator cuff muscle (I am young and did not suffer an injury to tear the muscle the Dr. can't tell exactly why it tore).

So, my question to everyone: has anyone else had this sort of problem with their shoulder blade and ribs- most likely due to the rib rotation?

I have a left lumbar curve (25 degrees or so) and rib rotation in which I have a left rib hump on the back (the right ones stick out in the front). When I lay down flat on a table with my right arm hanging off the side and bring it backwards up to my side then hold my shoulder blade down and in place it pops and cracks and rubs over those ribs. To avoid that I roll my shoulder forward thereby popping my shoulder blade out of its normal position. If I force it to stay it rubs and then I have a hard and severly painful pinch in my shoulder.

The PT isn't sure what to do about it- I see the shoulder Dr. tomorrow and will ask about it and my shoulder problems maybe being related to my scoli but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same sort of problem.

Please let me know,
    Thanks.

My right scapular was rubbing against my ribcage causing constant inflammation/pain. It would happen when I would move my arm in any direction. I did have a "right scapular resection" which the surgeon removed part of my scapular and it was successful. A large bursa sack against the chestwall was also removed. I was in a sling for about 2 months together with PT and for me that was the solution. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like. Regards, Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Have you tried myofascial release massage?

25° should be "over-comeable" as getting the scapular/subscapular area loosened. Mine was moving (with a lot of work) with a 53° thoracic curve - apex at T9.

What type of stretching are you doing on your own?

I never had my scapula dislocate, but I also have old rotator cuff injuries (from softball - right throwing arm). I haven't had to bang my shoulder back into place since surgery, but it still occasionally rolls out. BTW, it also took me 5-6 months before I could sleep on that side without my right arm out flat behind me ...

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

No massage can release it... I've tried just about everything. I used to do a lot of stretching (yoga poses/etc) but have had to stop for awhile since I can't put any weight on or stretch my right arm above my head.

My right ribs are starting to ache more and more lately though and I'm wondering if this is all somehow related...

Comment

Trcylynn - I have found when I had massages (I do not let anyone work on my back anymore) while it feels good at the time, I would suffer terribly after and not the "good hurt" some people feel after having it. It's worse than before, so I understand what you are saying. How was your doctor's visit? Thinking of you. Lynn
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X