Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRSA Update

Hi All,
    Time to update the MRSA infection. I just finished my 7th week of antibiotics once a day at the Infusion Center. They have used the strongest antibiotics they have and it just will not clear it up. As a matter of fact the damn stuff has mutated and it is completely resistant to what they were using. Sad thing is the medical field really is at a loss on how to fight this stuff (MRSA) they left my pick line in because now I am giving myself 2 shots a day of something I can't spell, and also I will be taking 2 100 MG oral capsules a day of Doxycycline. I will do this for 2 weeks. If it works woopee but if it doesn't they want to take out all my hardware. That ain't going to happen. I have had 7 surgeries on my back now and I just can't go through it again. Also I am a long way from fusion and I will not spend the rest of my years in a wheel chair or worse. I know what the downside is but I'm ok with it.
    Sally, I just got your email and I really want to thank you for your concern. I will keep you updated as to what is going on here the next 2 weeks. I found a great video that explains what this MRSA is so for those who are not up to speed on it, click on this site and take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCREe5lHqjw
    My Best, Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Hi Jess...

Be sure you understand the full effect of not removing your implants if the MRSA can't be eradicated. I don't pretend to know everything, but I do know that the infection can gradually eat away at the bone. When that happens, you could also end up in a chair.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jess,
      I am so sorry that the Doctors have not been able to get rid of your infection. I will keep praying for you and if you want, I will ask my church to pray for you as well. Even if you don't believe that prayer helps, it certainly can't hurt. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Jess,
        Sorry to hear about your MRSA. I also had it and also a PICC line. I was given Vancomyacine and when that didn't work my doc added Ryphampin. After a couple of weeks it (MRSA) came back again and I had to have all my hardware removed. I then healed amazinly quickly, concidering my doc had to go in 6 times to debrid my incision everytime the infection came back.

No I'm not in a wheelchair. I walk on my own, I have less discomfort than I did prior to surgery. I was 52 at the time and now 59. Would I have perfered to keep the rods in, yes. But considering how really sick I was becoming, since I had not just an ongoing infection, I never got the chance to get well between the surgeries. My spine is not strieght and is in fact 70/70 and self fused in that position.

I can clean my house/do yard work and have learned to dress around my curves. Life is good
        SandyC
        SandyC

Comment

Wow, I just took a look at my original post. Sounds like I am almost ready to give up and just check out. NOT SO! I have been handed sooo many miracles in my life it would take a full length movie to give my testimony. I am a believer and the Lord has never abandoned me. I have walked away or turned my back on Him more times than I care to count, but He is always there for me and most of the time comes after me.
          In my original post I was having a big old pity party, wasn't I?
          If you care to read on, let me tell you what the Lord has done for me.
          I was blown up in the mid 60's in the Marine Corps and ended up with most of my ribs blown out. I ended up with a plastic chest for my efforts. I was put back together came home and I am one of a very few still alive from my outfit. Lucky? I think not. I was blessed.
          At the age of 46 (I am 61 now) I suffered my first heart attack. I have had four total and have 5 stents in one artery. Lucky to still be alive? Naw, blessed! Several years ago when I had my 1st little back surgery, I was loosing weight and very weak and sick. Tests were run and I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Allergic to wheat. So bad it was life threatening. Changed my diet and as far as this disease goes I am doing fine. Well not fine but ok. It is so hard to find things to eat that doesn't have wheat in it. Even the sticky part of a simple band-aid is made from wheat by products. Still blessed. I'm alive and doing without McDonalds burgers. (a little humor)
          Next came the Fibromyalgia. I know a lot of you have this one. Then neuropathy in my legs, and the big one. Arthritis. This stuff has really taken it's toll on my spine. Six surgeries later and I have hardware from my butt to my neck. I have broken rods, pulled out screws and had them replaced almost more times than I can count.
          I have been able to over come all of the above with my ability not to just give up thanks to the Lord's blessings of strength and shear orneriness. However, this last little bout of broken rods I just had replaced I picked up this MRSA staph infection during the surgery or it was on the new hardware. We will never know. All I know is this one is something I don't have the strength to overcome. I can't bounce back or even take a pill to make it go away. Just so there is no doubt in anyone's mind, I am terrified ! I know full well that if I back off and give up I WILL die.
          Now here is what I really should have said in my original post. The Lord did not bring me threw all of this just to abandon me now. For some reason it happened and through His Grace I some how know I will get through it.
          Out of all this I guess I most want those of you that are hurting so bad and just can't see getting through another day or are frightened to have your 1st surgery or your 7th, Just remember that "The Lord won't give you more than you can handle." There are many good folks here on this forum that are tools in His toolbox and have been placed in your way to help through prayer and maybe just a little boost of concern and kindness that all here seem to offer.
          If you made it all the way through reading this you deserve to be blessed.
          Thanks for listening to my rant.
          BLESSINGS HAPPEN
          My Best, Jess
          March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
          15 1/2 Hours
          Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

OK, I'm having trouble seeing the screen now after reading that!!

Your posting was a blessing to me. I needed to hear.

I feel much better about you now, Jess, and you will remain in my prayers.

((hugs)))
            JoAnn

Comment

Working...
            X