nada like home sweet home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nada like home sweet home

o man, boy at my hoouse aftre a lil less then 2 weeks. over all outlook, impressed.

iit was easii at 1st walkd in2 da hospital and was adiimited stratight in2 surgery for my enterior surgery(were they go to the rib and fix a lil there) pain the first nite was decente b ut aftre a while I stratted 2 get annoying.

wed came by and had a 10 hr surgery went from 80 to around 50 curve. I will say, pain out of surgery is not the issue it was after that I was in pain. but the oxycodon(sp has fixd dat a lil...
    thanks every1 4 ur kind wrds

question

any1 went like sweaty when in there blancket for no reason?

and as for stools, how long did people have an issure going?

I remember that...

Oh, yeah, I had baaaad night sweats...sweated like a pig. I think it's the meds, and maybe just the body having trouble regulating it's temp after surgery.

As far as umm, going, I still have to take Miralax. It's either that or a stick of dynamite. As long as you're on pain meds, you will have some degree of constipation. So keep hydrated, take your laxative of choice, eat your fiber. I have raisin bran and Kelloggs All Bran bars-sort of like a granola bar. Also keep moving around as much as you are able. Just lying around too much is one of the worst things you can do.

Glad you are through your surgery and back home. =)
    Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
    Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
    Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
    www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Congrats Arizo, you're home and the surgery is behind you! I hope you have plenty of support for the weeks ahead. Keep on contact and let us know how you're going.

Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congrats, Arizo There sure is nothing like getting home...though I, too, hope you have someone around to give you a hand if/when needed.

The sweats are actually fairly common & not a lot to worry about (just REALLY annoying!). I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but was told a couple of years ago by a doc that after major surgeries, the thyroid sometimes has some issues, for up to a couple of months - since the thyroid helps to control body temp (among a lot of other things), he said this was likely the cause of the sweats.

Also, I think the thyroid plays some role in bowel function & dysfunction of the thyroid can cause the difficulties you're having....of course, if you're still on the oxycodone or other narcotics, they very commonly also cause this. Trish's med suggestions are really worth trying, although if your issues are fairly minor, something less powerful like prune juice might help you out, too. And I'll definitely second the suggestion to make sure you're moving around a lot, esp. gentle walking as much as you can.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery & hope you're feeling more comfy very soon. Take care.

Comment

how long after did if any apply did people stop bleeding from the bottom on the ensizion. not bleeding crzy but small bloops

Comment

Arizo,

As far as I know, it's not too common to be persistently bleeding from the scar a couple of week post-op. You might have a stitch there that's come out a little early. It's not a lot to worry about, but if it makes you comfier, just let your doc know. Generally, after 24hrs after a stitch pulls out, it's not so effective to re-stitch the area, so there's probably not a lot to be done for it, except to minimise the small potential for infection get in through the tiny bit it must be open. If you still have wound dressings over the incision (esp. if coated in plastic, water-proof tape), this will protect the area quite well. If not, I would consider talking to your doc & asking whether to cover the area in a small, STERILE dressing, & changing the dressing daily to keep an eye on the discharge. Keep an eye out for anything puss-y, esp. bright yellow or green - which could indicate infection.

I absolutely don't want to scare you with saying this. It's not *uncommon* for a stitch to come out early (if this is what's happened with you), & infection isn't too common.....but it's always way better to prevent something like that than to have to treat it.

I hope this makes sense. No doubt someone else will be along soon & maybe tell you I'm way over cautious. I just figure "better to be safe than sorry!"

Keep up the smooth recovering - take care & all the best

Comment

great to read your post Arizo and that you are home - yeah your own bed sure feels good!
              Wishing all the best for a smooth recovery -just remember one day at a time
              Louisse
              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
                Arizo,

As far as I know, it's not too common to be persistently bleeding from the scar a couple of week post-op. You might have a stitch there that's come out a little early. It's not a lot to worry about, but if it makes you comfier, just let your doc know. Generally, after 24hrs after a stitch pulls out, it's not so effective to re-stitch the area, so there's probably not a lot to be done for it, except to minimise the small potential for infection get in through the tiny bit it must be open. If you still have wound dressings over the incision (esp. if coated in plastic, water-proof tape), this will protect the area quite well. If not, I would consider talking to your doc & asking whether to cover the area in a small, STERILE dressing, & changing the dressing daily to keep an eye on the discharge. Keep an eye out for anything puss-y, esp. bright yellow or green - which could indicate infection.

I absolutely don't want to scare you with saying this. It's not *uncommon* for a stitch to come out early (if this is what's happened with you), & infection isn't too common.....but it's always way better to prevent something like that than to have to treat it.

I hope this makes sense. No doubt someone else will be along soon & maybe tell you I'm way over cautious. I just figure "better to be safe than sorry!"

Keep up the smooth recovering - take care & all the best
                thanks 4 da insight. I actully calld my doc up, he said its normal as lon as it looks healthy. from what u/he said the greenish yellow is bad.
                had my meddic on call aka my dad
                he cleaned it up and said it lookd good. sooo im ok lol.

just have issue trying to sleep.
                my next question to the doc is going to be can I lay on my belly and sleep lol.

im talking it 1 day at a time but boy do I get bored

o and for the recorded the 1 oxycodon every 6 hrs dosent wrk.
                im going to sub it prob just with tylanol 650

Comment

Originally posted by Louisse View Post
                  great to read your post Arizo and that you are home - yeah your own bed sure feels good!
                  Wishing all the best for a smooth recovery -just remember one day at a time
                  Louisse

thanks.
                  im wrking on it although I feel like cutting my wrist sometimes from boerdom (only kidding)
                  im actully enjoy my small progress
                  im making, walking is all I want 2 do but I get tired quick.
                  stairs are a breez. sitting dwn and eating is very hard for me 2 do.

Comment

Working...
                  X