No announcement yet.

WOW! We want to say THANKS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry if im being mean to you. As saying if your daughter can't grow taller. If she wants to, she can do the surgery and add 1-2 inches to her height. As for me im only 5'5, havent done the spinal fusion surgery yet. Still researching the pros and cons, I know how it feels as i was always the shortest guy in my grade every year.

The burning pain i get when my curve was 44 degrees and not 37 degrees. It's sometimes like a hot liquid burning in the shoulder blades or the area between the 2 shoulder blades. If not, sometimes i get like insect like stings from the same area.

If your daughter is tall than its all good.

Sorry again if i typed alot. Just trying to help yur daughter. As we both have like sort of the same symptoms.

Last tip i've been told by my doctors. Doctor Tredwell, one of world's famous doctors told me rowing is a good exercise if your daughter has alot of pain. Also don't let her carry heavy load items.

Comment

Mamakay...

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but I wanted to write of my daughter's experience to let you know you're not the only confused one here.

My daughter will be 13 in 7 days, started her periods about 1 1/2 years ago at the age of 11 1/2 (young, I know). Doctors at our local Children's Hospital have been telling us since October of last year that she is a Risser 0 (I think that is on a scale of 0-5 with 5 being skeletally mature), which means she has a lot more growing to do, but at the same time, because of when her periods started, they say she only has about one year to grow yet. They always x-ray her hips. Had her to a doctor in a larger city last week and they x-rayed her hand and told me she was almost done growing. They said her bone age is about 14-14 1/2 years of age.

I know we all need to get atleast a second opinion, but it just makes things so much more confusing! Sorry if I confused you more, but I wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.

Mary Lou

Comment

wow, we want to say thanks

hi this is to mamakay
        i just read your post and you sound as confused as i do about this skelatally mature thing.
        My daughters rib hump changed very quickly as well. I'd say there is a drastic difference for the worse since last summer. Her curve also went for the worse quickly too, in four months it went from 42 to 50-52 degrees. One surgeon said it was 50 and another told us 52. But the rib hump is the thing that bothers me the most. We just scheduled her surgery for nov. 3rd, i hated to have to do it, but i guess if it has to be done at all, better now. This is the hardest thing to go through. She is not happy at all. My daughter has no pain at all, which i can't believe.
        jennifer

Comment

At one of the doctors visits that we went to the Dr. took out the x-rays, glanced at the report and started measuring the x-rays himself. You could see the marks on there from the radiologist. I asked him why he was measuring again. He said that every doctor measures differently and from different points. That is why you get a slight variation in the degree of curve.
          I think I also remember him saying that the spine is the first of the bodies skeletal areas to stop growing. On the x-rays if you look on the outside of the top of the hip there is what looks like a white not quite solid line. It grows into the centre. That is what they are looking at for the Risser scale. The further along the hip the less growing still to do.
          Best wishes.
          Cheryl.

Comment

My daughter is 14 and the first dr. said risser 1 and the second dr. said about risser 1 or 2, which at each visit for the past 1 year we were hoping would change and it hasn't so she still has alot of growing left to do.
            jennifer

Comment

justin,
              thankyou for your info and link about my daughter's skeletal questions.She is 5'5 also. So I guess it is best for surgery if the spine is not matured yet, right?
              Is that why a bone graft comes from the hip and not ribs?Anyone?

I discourage her from carrying heavy anythings, it is hard to change a persons habits but I told her she must, then she gets upset about her scoliosis.
              But I know she is trying. I will tell her about the rowing, that will be a positive thing to hear for a change.
              Good luck on your surgery decision.
              jc3,
              Thank you also for replying to me.
              I will ask more skeletal questions at our next (2nd opinion)Dr's appt this month.
              I'm upset as all of us so maybe I should listen harder. This is so shocking to me as she has always had such great posture and a beautiful long back.
              Her back was measured differently also. I guess there is a 5 degree margin some how bc of what Carmel? said about how differently they measure. This is scaarey bc it seems the number is always more than less so I wonder if the curve is rapidly changing!!
              We are looking at surgery soon too. Will your child give blood for her surgery?
              Best of luck
              Mary lou,
              Thank you too for explaining your confusion like mine about the period and risser scale. We will get a second opinion Aug 23rd at the medical center in Houston. I really don't want her to have surgery so far from home but I know I have to get another opinion.
              Well sorry for such a long reply. I am praying for strength for all.
              This board has been such a help to me and I'm grateful to everyone for sharing their pain,advice and strength.
              now 16 yr old daughter
              with worsen 65 degree upper curve
              surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

hi mamkay
                i don't know if my daughter will give her own blood, i think the drs like for the kids to use their own, we haven't gotten that far with them about that yet. They said they are working on all the paperwork for the surgeries for october and they will be sending out the paperwork shortly for the november surgeries, which will have all the information about the tests she needs to have done before the surgery. She hates needles and is going to freak when we tell her she has to donate blood.
                the dr. has told us there is a five degree margin in measuring curves. Our dr. measured 50 degrees and when we went to our new dr. he measured it to be 52 on the same x-ray, not much of a difference but i was hoping the first dr. measured wrong and it would have been less.
                let me know how it goes when you go for your second opinion
                jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X