Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    Funny questions, I know - LOL!
    Well here is another odd question... What if you take an Immodium and an Ex-Lax? What happens, do you explode?
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Personally, I think the Nuvaring suggestion is a pretty good one-I have 2 nieces and and a step-daughter that are pretty happy with it.

Pam, I have actually seen a product in a catalog called "Cebocaps" and all they are is gelatin capsules filled with powdered lactose (milk sugar) They do come in different colors and sizes. I have never ordered them, stocked them, or had a script to dispense them. I can't see how a pharmacist would not know that they were dispensing a placebo, unless they were part of at least a double blind study, in which case the bottle containing the placebo would not be labeled as such, just "study drug no.1 or 2" or some such).

Most of my career has been spent in hospital pharmacy (I am the nerd that calculates your kidney function and mixes your chemo, or whatever else it is you may need), down in the basement somewhere. And I will say, I used to occasionally see plain syringes of normal saline or sterile water used as a placebo pain injection in one particular hospital, but not since the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO) made the treatment of pain one of their main study objectives. As a result, the pain scale came about-you know, where the nurses ask you to rate your pain from 1-10. And according to JCAHO, patients' pain reporting is to be taken as genuine and treated accordingly. Most docs write their pain meds in ranges (morphine 5-10mg IM every 4-6 hours) and telling a nurse that your pain is from 1-5 will get you the lower dose in that range.

P.S. Pam, my oldest son was conceived on Lo-Ovral...what a trip!
      P.S.S. Qikdraw, I know what would happen to me...with my luck, the Imodium would win, the Ex-Lax would be the placebo, and with the Norco I'm still taking, I'd need a stick of dynamite! Probably TMI...sorry, sorry!
      Last edited by trishthedish; 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling-hooked on phonics didn't work for me!
      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by trishthedish View Post
        ... Pam, I have actually seen a product in a catalog called "Cebocaps" and all they are is gelatin capsules filled with powdered lactase (milk sugar) ...
        Oh, you should have known I'd have another question, Trish ... BTW, your knowledge is great to have on this forum!

What if a patient is lactose intolerant (or even hypoglycemic - would it effect them?)? Can the Cebocap cause a reaction? If it does, is that patient left to believe they had a reaction to the REAL drug?

(Me thinks my lil' brain wanders around unchaperoned FAR too often ... but how do you learn without asking questions? ;-)

... Pam, my oldest son was conceived on Lo-Ovral...what a trip! ...
        I was on Triphasal-28 (which I have no idea whether they even manufacture anymore) when I got pregnant - and I swear, I never missed a dose.

Then, the ONE time I didn't use anything with my ex-husband ... *surprise!* ... my daughter was conceived.

My exceedingly ridiculous fertility definitely made my decision for tubal ligation (and, no ... my doctor did NOT want to do it - he actually wanted a note of permission from my husband. You can imagine my reaction to that!) at 21 an easy one. I was either going to become a nun - or prepare to potentially birth a baseball team (maybe with a bench warmer or two) by age 30 - LOL!
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Never heard of a reaction to Cebocaps, since we didn't keep them, but I would think it could happen. Boy, would that suck, and would that doc (and R.Ph.) have some 'splaining to do.

But the article to which Ed linked was very interesting, since it discussed using legit drugs as placebos in certain conditions. Take me, for instance. I am on Cymbalta (an anti-depressant) 20mg for fibromyalgia. That is a sub-therapeutic dose for depression. And if a doc started a patient on 20mg for depression with the intention of titrating up over time, but the patient felt "better" on just the 20mg, so the doc left the patient at that dose, couldn't that be considered "the placebo effect"? Yet low doses of Cymbalta combined with Flexeril have been reported to work well for fibromyalgia, so 20mg isn't necessarily a placebo for my condition. Hmmm....Or maybe that's MY brain wandering around unsupervised =)

Oh, and...since my 2nd son was conceived the ONE time we didn't use anything, my ex had a vasectomy at age 23, and his general surgeon made me sign off on it (which I was EVER SO happy to do).
          Last edited by trishthedish; 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff =)

Comment

Never heard of a reaction to Cebocaps, since we didn't keep them, but I would think it could happen. Boy, would that suck, and would that doc (and R.Ph.) have some 'splaining to do.
            Yeah, that was my thought ... *Would* the doctor actually tell the patient "Well, um ... you see ... I didn't really give you a prescription for ___________ ...". I can guarantee you if a doctor EVER slipped me a placebo, they'd NEVER see me again.

And also, since many people will call the pharmacist if they experience a reaction, that puts y'all in a horrible position. Not so much one who works in a hospital setting (the "basement dwellers" - LOL), but one who works for a chain drug store - and really has little choice on what they fill. That would be SO unfair for the pharmacist to be cornered by the patient on a question that should be answered by the doctor.

Last comments on the topic of the "permission slip", but my ex was fully aware I was having surgery. I wasn't doing it behind his back, and he would have willingly signed a note. To me, it was the principle of the thing.

"You want me to have my HUSBAND give you HIS consent to what I do with MY body? You have GOT to be kidding!".

As it turned out, I just kept putting off turning in my "Pam has my permission to go on the field trip" note, and they had already placed an IV and given some pre-anesthesia happy drugs when he was flipping through his chart just before surgery and frowned (like "you bad girl!), "I don't see your note ...".

I looked at him, smiled (okay, smirked) and said, "Nope. And you won't.". What was he going to do? Unplug me and send me home?

He didn't, and I changed doctors after my brief recovery.

And too funny how similar our situations are with the two pregnancies!

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Trish and everyone,

Yes that article is interesting. Of course, Im very funky about drugs and chemicals. It all started with Karen Quinlan in NJ back in 1975. I was there. It was BIG news and set significant precedents in the New Jersey Supreme court. It developed our advanced health directives. She was in a coma for 10 years.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Quinlan

It was Alcohol and drugs.Jack and ludes. And not eating for 2 days. A deadly combo and a very sad story that I will never forget.

interject, food for thought. where was Karen? Watch it till the end.
              http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j...f_insight.html

Wasnt that neat? I thought so.

Now granted, some of the drugs that we have today are absolutly amazing. The NSAIDS are fantastic for pain reduction, and I would not have been able to cope with my 9 month sciatica however, after having a heart attack taking Bextra, I decided that I would go to Hawaii and do ocean therapy and it worked like a charm.

I have tons of stories like these and you can see why I feel the way that I do. (knowing what your taking)

This thread is about Allison and her neck and Im sorry you are in your situation. I feel for you. It looks like she has been around the block with all of this and is now looking for a non-narcotic or something that wont upset her stomach or destroy her liver.
              And I dont blame her. Been there done that!

Running off to the Doctor and saying, "Doc, it hurts, what can you do for me" and having that person prescribe legit drugs as placebos, ( not sugar pills) Im talking about antibiotics where they are not warranted, hoping for a "placebo effect" can be very dangerous due to the development of drug-resistant strains of bacteria. "Placebo effect" does work in a lot of situations and is proof of power of being positive. Just make sure it is the right placebo.

From the article:
              Most doctors used actual medicines as a placebo treatment: 41 percent used painkillers, 38 percent used vitamins, 13 percent used antibiotics, 13 percent used sedatives, 3 percent used saline injections, and 2 percent used sugar pills.

Wouldnt it be logical for a Doctor to issue a vitamin. (give it a complicated name) call it, "hopthishelpstrum" Why use a painkiller? and all the other stuff required with those painkillers. (stoolsofteners, reflux,etc) drugs rob the body of vitamins.

Being positive about your outcome really does have a lot to do with all things. Be positive even before surgery will help. Being positive about your surgery will help. Be positive about life! Give your body that chance that it needs to heal itself.

Not eating because you want to lose weight is not wise. Eat a balanced diet. Eat healthy foods. Eat proper amounts at the right times. Not eating will kill you. Overeating will kill you.

If we do not know what happens when 2 drugs or chemicals are mixed together, how would anyone know what happens when 5,10,20,or 30 drugs are mixed together? Thats right, nobody knows. So once again, I will reiterate, know what it is that you are taking, and why????

Brad, the answer is explode. And talking about exploding, after my last operation guess what? You guessed right, I swiched to Castor oil. It was a pleasant muffeled experiance, like a small firecracker in a pillow. Like a car wreck video online with the sound muted.

I promise more comedy on my next post.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                ... really is AWESOME stuff. It contains camphor and menthol (and stuff like cinnamon and cardamom), but it doesn't have the skin blistering heat that some other liniments have (and I've probably tried them all). It gives a slow, constant heat - and somehow seems to reach deeper than anything else I've tried. Also, I've never known anyone to experience any skin discomfort or reaction (even people with sensitive skin).

Generally, I just use the ointment (comes in a tiny jar, but goes a long way), but I've also used the patches. They work great for pulled quads from softball, and they're good for the back and neck area like the ones Trish described. If you have a back rubber in residence, the ointment is really, REALLY nice when it's massaged in.

I always crack up walking in a dugout of us old diehards who refuse to give up softball ... your eyes instantly start spurting tears because everyone is marinating in the stuff - LOL. Seriously, I keep a jar in my purse, one by my bed, and one in my softball bag!

Out of curiousity, I looked at their site (www.tigerbalm.com): I've never seen most of the stuff in Walgreens, CVS, etc. And funny, I just looked at my jar and it reads "Tiger Balm Ultra Strength" which isn't even listed on their site - but it's what I always buy, and it IS available in almost every drug store.

And random factoid, it's the ointment of choice for the United States Marine Corps. It was the only one stocked in the Recruit PX. You have to imagine it's pretty good stuff if they're using it to treat the punishment of Marine Corps boot camp - LOL!

I know I sound like an ad for it, but it is soooooooo freakin' effective!
                Okay, you have another convert here! Tiger Balm Rocks!
                My youngest used it on her knee that has been hurting since she chipped part of the bone a year and a half ago. She told me her knee was "fantastic" this morning after using it overnight. The oldest used it on her back and loved it and I used it for the area between my shoulder blades that those damn rod irritate all of the time.
                So I guess that means there are really 3 converts here.
                Thanks Pam!!!
                Geish
                47 years old, dx at 13
                +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I loooove this stuff...

For those of you with access to a physical therapist trained in this technique, here is another fabulous drug-free pain therapy:

http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/215/

You may have seen kinesiotape on the volleyballers at the Olympics this past summer. All I know is, I'm presently wearing it between my shoulder blades and on my lower back, and it rocks! It activates certain muscles and relaxes others, depending on how the tape is applied.

I will try to get hubby to take a pic so I can post it on the blog (although I don't look like an Olympian volleyball player, lol!)

Comment

Working...
                  X