Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Hello,
    I was just told my 14 year old daughter has 58% curve in her back. I have an appt. with Stanford hospital and from what I hear it is looking like surgery is in her future I am so scared. Can anyone give me some ideas on good questions to as the doctor during my visit? What is she headed for? The thought of her having to go through this feels so overwhelming and I wish there was anthor option. Is the pain unbarable after surgery????

Welcome! I understand your panic, but you've found a wonderful group of people here who understand. My daugther had surgery almost 4 years ago at the age of 13.

I would suggest seeing at least two different doctors and then decide which doctor/hospital is best for your family. Involve your daughter in all decisions.

Questions to ask: 1) ask if your daughter is done growing (doctors will usually x-ray the child's hand to check her Risser number. 0 being that she has a lot of growth and 5 being done or just about done growing); 2) can we wait a few months and re-check to see if her curve is progressing; 3) if she needs surgery, how far will you be fusing; 4) if facing surgery, feel free to ask how many of these surgeries does he/she do every year. Those are just a few things off the top of my head. I'm sure others will suggest more.

For Jamie, the pain was not unbearable after surgery. The key is to stay on top of the pain and not let it get ahead of her. You can and will get through this. Hang in there.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My daughter's curve was 40 degrees to start and we watched her for a year. At her recheck it was 45 degrees and she had her surgery then. She was 14. She had 2 rods put in, one on each side of her spine. That is important to ask about - how many rods and where will they be placed, also if surgery will be done from the back or front or both. She did not need a brace or cast after surgery, some do. Ask about that and if necessary, the length of time in one. Your child will be on morphine after surgery. They will have a lot of pain, but getting them up and moving (my daughter sat up the next day and walked the day after) helps heal faster and helps with the pain. If you decide on surgery, ask about blood transfusions. My daughter donated to herself a couple of weeks before surgery and they gave her both pints. One during surgery and one postop. Ask how they do the fusion - they shaved my pelvic bone for my fusion, but used donor bone for my daughter. I know it sound creepy, but it is less painful using donor bone and very safe. Start writing your questions down and add to your list as you think of more. A good doctor will answer all your questions and tell you what you may have forgotten to ask.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
      X