newbiee here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbiee here

Hello. I'm new to the forums! I typed in scoliosis forums and this was the first one on the page so i decided to check it out and here i am. It looks like a comforting site for those who have scoliosis and need answers or those who experienced things and have answers. Anyways a little bit about me is im a teenager who has had scoliosis for over three years. My curve WAS over 60 degrees, not sure the exact degree. Now after surgery it is 27 degrees. Not exactly a low number but its better than nothing. They fused T3-L1. I had a huge hump on my back that was reduced greatly. My mom said my back looks much better! So i got my surgery on Tuesday October 7th. I was in the hospital till the following sunday. Now im home and as miserable as ever. My parents think im pretty strong and i tolerate pain well. Even though i cry everyday because of discomfort and i wish i never got this but what are ya going to do? So this tuesday it will be two weeks since surgery! Its been the longest two weeks ever.

Im just asking for some stories and progress reports from people.
    And also when does the pain subside? I want relief!
    -Marissa-
    28 degrees diagnosed summer '05
    boston brace? never wore it.
    (60 degrees) told surgery was needed.
    Pre-op = 67 degrees (5'2")
    Post-op = 24 degrees (5'4")
    FUSED *T3-L1*

Curveof27

Don't give up hope two weeks post surgery is not all that long. Don't look for huge improvements daily, but by weeks and then months you will be amazed how much better this all gets with time.

Best wisher in your recovery,
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

What is the pain after surgery like?
      Is it like an ache or like a really strong stinging pain?

Comment

Originally posted by ScolioDan View Post
        What is the pain after surgery like?
        Is it like an ache or like a really strong stinging pain?
        more like an ache.
        my shoulder blade hurts the most.
        -Marissa-
        FUSED *T3-L1*

Comment

Hey I am 15 and 2 and 1/2 months ago I had 6 vertabres fused together. I completely agree. The first two weeks are horrible, but you will be amazed at how much better things will get. I had a degree of 53 and I went down to 25, and I am totally happy with it. You know you have got to give it more time than 2 weeks. It will get easier every day. You will notice it start to get easier to do things. I know it is really hard right now, but just think about how great everything will be later. I had been doing everything to find relief these past 3 years, and I know this was the way to go. As a teenager it is not fun to have to do, and it feels like the worst time. You just have to keep your head up high. There will be rough days, and it is okay to cry I did a lot my first month. After about the first month is when you see a HUGE difference in pain. And to help keep it that way follow the rules that your doctor gave you. I hope you start feeling better soon.
          Kayle.
          I am 15 years old, and a sophomore at high school.
          Lumbar scoliosis.
          Had surgery on August 4th, 2008.
          Before surgery: 53 degrees
          After surgery: 25 degrees

Comment

curveof27,

Hang in there, hon. You'll be amazed at where you are this time next week. 3 weeks post-op does truly seem to be a magical number.

Also, the more you walk, the better you'll feel. I promise. I also won't tell you it's fun at first.

I started walking at 9 days post-op (on Day 3 home - recovering solo) to train for a 5K (at 33 days post-op), and walking has a way of working the soreness AND nerve pain away that nothing else can ...

You'll be glad you did it.

Best regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

thanks both of you. i know it does suck and i cant wait for relief of pain and discomfort. knowing that im going to be better soon helps but im still crying.
              -Marissa-
              FUSED *T3-L1*

Comment

Also if it would help you can try and find things to do to take your mind off of your discomfort. If you are not to sick feeling from all you meds then watching movies is a good way to take your mind off of your pain. And its okay to show your family and friends that you are having a hard time with this. It won't make your parents see you any differently. Just rest a lot, let your body gain back its energy. Don't push yourself to much, but also keep moving a little more everyday, you will get the feel though how much you can stand each day and just remember somedays it will be different than others.

And did you or do you still sleep with a pillow between your legs and one for your back to rest on? That provides a lot of comfort, it takes away a lot of stress on your back.

Stay strong, and don't forget its okay to show you are not doing as okay as people may think!
                Kayle.
                Lumbar scoliosis.

Comment

eh im not a movie person. and i dont sleep with a pillow between my legs, that wouldnt make sense when im laying on my back. Also i dont sleep with a pillow under my back, that sounds uncomfortable. I have memory foam under my comforter that provides comfort now when i go to sleep.

thanks for all your advice =)
                  -Marissa-
                  FUSED *T3-L1*

Comment

yeah, your welcome.
                    good luck with everything!
                    Kayle.
                    Lumbar scoliosis.

Comment

Working...
                    X