Physical/Cosmetic Effects of Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan

The only way to "know" what your spine is doing is to have x-rays with dates. If you only have one x-ray, then you will have to wait until the next x-ray to see if it is moving or not. There is no assumption here, it is pretty much black and white as far as that goes. There is no other way to know exactly what is going on with your back. You cannot "feel" like it isnt moving, or have somebody look at you or feel your back and come to a determination.

You will be able to play golf or tennis no matter what happens. If you have surgery, the Docs will put you on hold for approx one year until you heal and fuse.

Tennis is another tough sport.I just had a rotator cuff operation(shoulder) so you can understand that I cringe upon the word "tennis" It sounds like you are an active person and that is good.

Your Doc should shoot 1 x-ray coronal and 1 x-ray saggital about 6 mos from now or 12 months from now and look at both x-rays to see whats going on. If you switch Doctors and the 2nd Doctor doesnt have the first x-ray, he cannot tell you if you are progressing or not.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Dan, he's right. You're asking for finite answers to fuzzy questions. You really need to get the details of your curve(s), and be able to say more than it's 60-70°. That's a big difference, and things can start happening when you get around the 70° range (namely, possible organ impingement).

You don't "think" your curve is progressing? How would you know? I'm with Ed ... you don't "feel" it. You can only tell for sure by comparing two or more x-rays.

I will tell you this: Curves over 50° *typically* (although not always ... mine didn't) progress about a degree a year. This doesn't sound like much until you think about your age now, the size of your curve and tack on another 23° by the time you're 40.

You really need to discuss your concerns - in detail - with your surgeon.

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

oh no! more comedy!

Pam

What do you think about the small scar on the chin being sexy?

The heck with all the other scars!

The scar gives the chin that rough kinda look.

It was a mudslide issue years ago. (wheres Brad?) See Suzie Bees bursitis of the buttocks thread (wheres Suzie Bee?)

Easy now

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Yeah I had an x ray a few days ago and it had stayed the same.
          But the thing you said about tennis and golf. If for example I was only able to rotate a very small amount it would be almost impossible to play golf, and difficult to play tennis.
          Is it a possibility that my rotation could be restricted to this extent?

Comment

My daughter has a rather long fusion and she can play both tennis and golf. She doesn't do either on a regular basis, but she does go to the driving range and plays tennis in gym class. You'd be surprised at how much you can do after fusion surgery.

Having said that, this surgery is not to be taken lightly!

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Well I am 15 and 2 1/2 months post surgery.

1] Mine you can't see the difference in anymore. It looks much more normal.
              2] I grew an 1.5", depends though how much of your spine they get to straighten out.
              3] no answer.
              4] no answer.
              5] My scar covers about 3/4 of my back. Only 2 months after surgery and it looks amazing. Of course it will always be there though, but not to badly. And make sure to not get it sunburnt in the next couple years b/c my doctor told me it can make it much worse, permentaly.
              6] Me so far it is doing good after surgery, better than before. But if you doctor tells you not to bend, then don't because I promise you will regret it.
              7] I don't know how much you are getting fused but I had 6 vertabres fused together and my mobility is still really good. You just have to learn to do things differently, but it doesn't make things impossible. It shouldn't effect golf, it will just be a while until you are able to play again.

I hope it goes well for you, I am sure it will. Just remember that it is okay to ask for help and follow the rules the doctor gives you because if not you will pay the price.
              Kayle.
              I am 15 years old, and a sophomore at high school.
              Lumbar scoliosis.
              Had surgery on August 4th, 2008.
              Before surgery: 53 degrees
              After surgery: 25 degrees

Comment

Kayle, I tan my scar. It's white and thin. How you scar is determined FAR more by your genetic makeup.

Ed, I have busted my chin in the same place 3 times. Do I care someone might see it? Pfffbbbbt.

I show off my surgery scar every chance I get. My hair actually covers it, but when I have a halter top on, and I'm standing in line, I toss my hair over my shoulder. I EARNED that b**ch.

Scars, in my view, prove I LIVED. None of us are taking an unused, un-tasked, well preserved body with us when we go ... ~wherever.

I'm 40, and STILL getting skinned knees on the ballfield. It's just how I choose to live (at 8-1/2 months post-op, BTW).

Dan ... again ... you CAN GOLF ... YOU CAN play tennis after fusion. It just depends how deep your reserves are. How bad do you want it? ;-)

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I show off my scar also. Im constantly flashing . Check it out!!!! Wheee!!!

"I got hit by a shark!" Really? (I will need oral surgery on my cheek soon)

"I was on a dive, listening to the mating call of the adult male mud shark. and wham!!! I got hit". I punched him in the eye, and he let go.

When I show off the back,which is a straight cut, I tell them that the shark had great teeth!

Lotsa fun....

My scar on the front runs around my belly button, so it looks believable. He He

I have not been on a dive since surgery but believe me, it will be a lot of laughs on the dive boat. Actually the scar is blending in and I might have problems convincing people of my shark attack.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Those are interesting answers. When I met with him last week we decided to meet again in April, and then the decision will be made as to whether I have surgery this summer.
                    He said something at the last meeting which made me think that I may not grow from it because he said that as I used to have this problem with the top of my spine and my skull he doesn't want to risk strectching the spine too much in case it goes wrong.
                    As for golf and tennis, obviously I will try and play both sports after but my surgeon is certain that it will effect my rotation.

Comment

Dan ...

You've yet to say where your curve(s) is located ... What are the specifics?

I'm not following what you're saying - or what the doctor is telling you.

Regards,
                      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm not really sure exactly where it is located but the curve is 65 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by ScolioDan View Post
                          I'm not really sure exactly where it is located but the curve is 65 degrees.
                          Where the curve is located/what levels they plan to fuse make a huge difference in your flexibility after surgery.

That's NOT to say people don't learn to compensate after more limiting fusions, but until you know the planned fusion levels, you're asking questions that can't accurately be answered ... and making baseless assumptions about what you can and can't do afterwards.

Try not to get yourself all worked up, period, but especially in the absence of vital information.

Regards,
                          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                          X