Eeeek revision surgery?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eeeek revision surgery?!

So I had surgery in June 2008 and am doing great! : )

The only thing I'm a little worried about is carrying heavy bags.
    It's my first year at college and I'm living on campus.
    I have no choice but to carry somewhat heavy bags.
    I carry my laptop in a side bag/purse and need to bring a textbook or two to classes as well.

I'm just a little worried that this could be REALLY bad for my back and that I may need another surgery or something because of it.
    I'm sure I'm just over reacting, I just wanted to know what you guys thought

I have my next post-op appointment in less than three weeks, so I'll be sure to ask my doctors then though.
    17 years old - Female - Canada
    Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
    Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Would a rolling backpack be an option for you? I'm worried that carrying too much weight this soon might be bad for your recovery. If you broke a bone you would wait a good while before putting so much stress on it. Same goes for your vertebral fusion. It needs to be completely healed before carrying heavy weights for a distance.

That's my 2 cents' worth anyway. You are young and know your own body better than anyone else, of course.

Comment

Yes Joann5 is correct, a rolling backpack is your best choice!

You do need to be careful with your back.
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by tillgurl View Post
        So I had surgery in June 2008 and am doing great! : )

The only thing I'm a little worried about is carrying heavy bags.
        It's my first year at college and I'm living on campus.
        I have no choice but to carry somewhat heavy bags.
        I carry my laptop in a side bag/purse and need to bring a textbook or two to classes as well.

I'm just a little worried that this could be REALLY bad for my back and that I may need another surgery or something because of it.
        I'm sure I'm just over reacting, I just wanted to know what you guys thought

I have my next post-op appointment in less than three weeks, so I'll be sure to ask my doctors then though.
        off topic but where in Canada are you from? Nice to run into fellow canuck

Comment

A rolling backpack is good, but I know I was a little embarrassed to use one. If you choose to go with that option (totally worth it!) find a cute one and use it confidently!
          Alternatively, find a hot guy to carry your books
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Another thought, can you share a text book with someone in your class so you don't have to carry them to and fro? That is the option I chose when I was needing to use them at University. Or else photocopy the section you need (I know, expensive and wastes paper but better than pain!) and take that to class.

When I carry my laptop, I make sure that I hold it close to my body on the front (hug it!) and that makes it more balanced and easier to carry.

Don't take more notes than you need to class, empty your bag of all the extra paper and take only what you will use that day. It really helps! I'm ALWAYS turfing things out of my handbag! Bare essentials, that's me!
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X