Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my progress!

Hi Everybody,
    Just wanted to update everyone on how I am going. I had my revision in December, and I can honestly say, it was worth it. I've really improved the last month, and am back to full steam at the gym. I guess full steam for me is not lifting heavy weights, but I'm doing light weight training and 30min on the stairmaster. I have some tiredness, but very minimal pain in comparison to what I used to have. I still need help at home, but it is more because I am studying hard and focusing on rehabilitation and fitness, rather than keeping up with the house work. My wonderful mother in law to be is helping with the housework, because my fiancee works long hours to try and fund my frivolous college lifestyle
    So, life is good right now, I am really pleased I had the surgery. I'm also looking forward to summer (I'm in the Southern Hemisphere!), this summer will not be filled with pain, boredom, and misery. It will be filled with swimming, sailing, probably working on my thesis, but YAY! So glad!
    I hope that I can offer some hope to those of you facing revisions. I was pretty miserable this time last year and very uncertain the surgery would be worthwhile.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Yay for you!

nz-- it's soooo good to hear from you! You've come such a long way!!! It sounds like all is going well and you are enjoying your life. I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your spring and summer! Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Great news

Good for you nz girl. It really is good to get your life back, isn't it. My best to you. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thats great! Its good to see you so happy and energetic! Keep up the good work!

Brad
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

I followed your blog and feel like I really know you AND the ups and downs of your recovery.

It's wonderful to hear that you can now say IT WAS WORTH IT!

You've come a long way, baby!
          Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
          May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
          Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Yay! Someone WAS reading my blog! Thank you!
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey there.

I just wanted to say Thank-You...this is exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm SO glad things are looking up for you! And "hi" from another in the Spectacular Southern Hemisphere

Do you mind me asking how soon you got back into the study after the surgery? If it was soon after, did you feel like you were ready to get back into it? I know everyone's surgery & recovery is different, but....guess I'm just looking for any experience you might feel comfortable sharing (don't worry if not).

I ask because I'm up for a complete removal of my lumbar/pelvic instrumentation, a couple of vertebral osteotomies, & reinstrumentation (not touching the thoracic rods, thankfully!). I took this year off from study & working to get well & also to have this surgery, but now it's not on until December. Uni here in Oz goes back 2nd March, & I'd also be looking at taking classes as well as undertaking an Honours program thesis...And 2+ part-time tutoring jobs, & some on-the-side field research work (in psychology, not like...digging up bones, archaeology style ). Errrr....yeah....looking at that list, I'm thinking more than ever that I should try to lay off on this stuff for next year - but I really don't want to!

Thanks for any thoughts. And again - I'm so, SO happy that the surgery's worked out well for you. Take care & goodluck with the studies.

Comment

Hi Discombobulated!
                My surgery was december too, so that makes for easy comparison! I'm not sure how well I could compare the surgeries, and I'm guessing given your course of study that you might be a similar age to me. I'm studying clinical psychology, and did my honours year a couple of years ago. Honours was full on because it was all taught papers plus the small thesis (sounds the same as yours), whereas my doctorate now I can work at my own pace since there are no regular exams and assignments.

I was planning to start back in March (when our program starts up too), and I think I did, but my energy and motivation were really low. I was probably managing only a few hours a day at the most. I was having difficulty concentrating, although I felt like I was ok and should be doing things... if that makes any sense. I guess the mind was willing but the body not? have a look at my blog to see what I wrote throughout my recovery, the blog was the 'lets make it sound better than it really was' version.

The things I found difficult were sitting up for long periods of time, and concentrating for long periods. I worked around it by taking rests (lying down kind) regularly, and planning what I wanted to do so that I knew what I was going to be doing. Breaking down tasks into stages was really helpful.

You'll have a really good idea of whether what your taking on is too much, right now I wouldn't be up to that workload, and it's september. I still get tired. It's only been this last month that I'm feeling 90% to normal. Having said that, everyones different etc... When I was facing surgery people were telling me that I should delay my internship, suspend my studies, take a year off etc, and I really couldn't face that prospect, it was devastating to even think about needing a revision let alone having my studies interrupted. So I understand that you'll be wanting to try and keep pace with what you normally would have been able to do.

Keep in touch, I'll follow your progress. It's nice to have someone on the forum from the best side of the world!
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey,

Thanks so much for sharing - sorry I'd missed your blog. It was a great read (but yes, having done the spinal surgery thing twice before, it sure sounded a little sugar-coated ). What great news that you're feeling pretty dang good again.

Such a coincidence that we're both studying psych I'm interested mostly in clinical & also neuropsych. The Honours course will include the "small" thesis, but also juggling classes like multivariate stats/methods, advanced psychometrics, etc.. And like my BSci, this will all be by distance education, but with compulsory 1 week residential schools - first one in April....another "milstone" that would worry me. At best, I could take the program over 2 years, & delay my thesis till 2010, but....it would still be the res schools, intense study, etc.. My concentration & endurance seem to be among the last things to return to me after surgeries, too, so I am kinda worrying about that....And "no pressure added", I'm hoping (but certainly not expecting!) to win the one scholarship per graduating class into a Doctoral or Masters program. And, I've got offers to take on some tutoring & on-the-side research work for my uni....yep, I'm a sucker for punishment!!

I don't have to submit an application till the end of October, so I still have a little time to think. I had to take this year off already from study & work, because the op was planned for mid-year or so, + I was fairly ill & having other surgery earlier in the year....I just know I'll go insane(r) if I have to take next year off from work &/or study, as well.

Hmmmm...anyhow, really - THANKS for sharing. I hope the recovery keeps up being smooth, & all the best with the studies.

Cheers.

BTW - what did you end up naming your kitten? I lost my girl who'd been with me since I was 4 (17 yrs) in January (she hung around till I was well again)...I'm going to adopt a rescue kitten or cat once I'm home & out of the infection-risk period. I'm so excited

Comment

I named my kitten Leo, he's been a godsend. Apart from when he wants to play and I'm not up to it! Our last cat had no road-sense... We're a bit overprotective with Leo, but he has a good life!

I also love clinical and neuropsych, I'm starting my neuropsych placement on Monday at Middlemore hospital, which is a large hospital. For my doctoral thesis I'm developing a psychometric measure to assess anxiety in the elderly. I love psychometrics, such a geek!

I was really lucky that I was already on the clinical program with a full scholarship when I needed my surgery. The university agreed to pay my scholarship while I was recovering, which was a HUGE help. Not having that safety net would have been hard. I guess you have to work out if you can get the marks you need to get accepted into the doctorate etc, it sounds like taking the course over a longer period might be a good option, albeit frustrating given your already missing a year. It will fall in to place in the end, it's just now it sucks to have to take the long way round. If you can do part time study to keep yourself sane it might help!

Hang in there... !
                    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad to hear Leo's doing well

I'm SO jealous of a neuropsych placement, & your psychometric study. I'm really looking forward to psychometrics in Honours, but won't get to study neuropsych any further until post-grad. Hope all goes well for you.

How great of your uni to do a scholarship even through your recovery! Thankfully, the fed govt. here covers undergrad studies (we pay back later), so funding's not a major problem for me, just the timing. As much as I want to go back next year, I think I'm starting to admit I just won't be able to do my best, esp. if I end up with infection or other probs (approx. 10% chance for me). Perhaps I'll stick with some tutoring & research work + some reading on the side to keep me "in the loop". Hmmm...

Anyhow, thanks so much for sharing your experiences & thoughts. All the best for recovery & the study! You know where to find me if you ever need a geek research assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X