Scoliosis Revision Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revision Surgery

Hello Donna Grace, Thanks for your reply. I'm soo happy to hear how well you are doing. We do not live in the NY area. We live in Southern New Jersey outside of Atlantic City. I think I recognize some of the docs names you mentioned & I will try to contact them. Also, I've been in touch with some in the Philadelphia area suburbs. I'm in the process of faxing them my reports & waiting to hear whether they will see me. I really need to finally stop investigating potential docs at some point. I can't continue this process forever. Hopefully, one or two of the names will come thru.
    Again, thanks for responding and any other info will be greatly appreciated. I'm just beginning to realize that those of us with scoliosis have a special bond with each other and each one of us wants to be of help whenever we can. Phyllis

Comment

Originally posted by Diane BCSW View Post
      There's a doctor in Armarillo who is well thought of. Someone is going to have to tell you his name & website because I can't remember his name.
      LaGrone is in Amarillo, although I haven't personally read much about his revision track record. His site says he specializes in it, but I'd definitely want to talk to former patients of any doctor. Initial OR revision surgery.

His website is http://www.scoliosismd.com/.

Best wishes to you, Phyllis.

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam, Thanks for the info. However, we live in New Jersey so I've been contacting drs. in the Philadelphia & New York areas. I am encouraged to learn that other docs (besides Dr. Boachie) perform similar revision surgeries & who accept insurance. Hopefully, I'll be successful with one of them. Thanks again, Phyllis

Comment

Revision surgery

Donna,
          I am being told after 30+ years with a harrington rod, and a disc surgery done 2002, that I am in need of yet another back surgery...my regular orthopedic just wants to fuse again L4-5,S1 since it never took on the 2002 surgery however, i do have kyphosis and he will NOT operate on that.....so I went to see Dr. Errico as you mentioned.....

His NJ office was terrible, very long wait(over 1 1/2hrs) and then very unfriendly staff, then when he finally came into my room, he had the wrong chart and then he flat out told me, he would do total reconstructive surgery from neck down and that i needed it right away, he said I had to lose atleast 10 lbs and would have to participate with PT afterwards, think about that and call me to schedule, walked out.

My husband and I sat there for a minute, gathered our thoughts and said, this dr is not the one for me, he was rude, short with his answers and then when I got home and did my research in depth about him, I found out that he had a large lawsuit on him for paralysing several patients....

One of which I contacted and had a lenghty conversation....she is in a wheel chair for life now and she felt it was not just a medical "slip" that this happened but that the dr has become so overconfident, he is making mistakes and she is one that has to pay for that.

I never went back to him, however, I do need the surgery and its over 6 years later....I heard of a Dr. Frank Cammisso, spine orthopedic with Hospital for Special Surgery. Has anyone heard of this man? I am only 46 and have a lengthy list of health problems, this is just one of them. I need surgery but quite frankly, I dont know who to trust or go see????

Comment

Additional Surgery

Hi , I haven't been on this chat room for quite a while. Here is the update: After seeing Dr.Boachi @ The Hosp for Spec Surgeries in NY (He doesn't accept any insurance and will not participate in the process for you to be reimbursed) I went on a search for other docs who do the same procedures he described to me. The latest is: I live outside of Atlantic City so Philly is close enough and The Rothman Institute is located in several areas in and around Phila. After seeing a few docs in their practice and after hearing that I need a total revision and they propose to do the same surgery as Dr. B in NY, I've decided to go ahead with them. It will be done mid May and they are offering me 80 - 85% improvement with the symptoms in my leg. My original fusion with Harrington Rod was performed with this group and here I am 20 yrs later to come full circle!!! Needless to say this certainly will be my very last surgery. I had cervicel fusion done in NY last May and I'm still not 100%. I am 66 yrs old and I realize this is my last chance to try to be able to go for a walk. Right now I need to be in a wheelchair if there is any distance to walk. At the very least I hope to stop the progression where it is now. Hopefully, I am making the right choice!!!
            If anyone has any comments I really would appreciate hearing from you.
            Phyllis from Philly

Comment

who at the rothman institute

i'm glad to hear that things are working out. my family and i are desparately searching for an orthopedists to perform an anterior lumbar fusion with posterior straightening. we went to see dr. todd albert from the rothman institute and he did not seem too enthusiastic about performing a large spinal operation on my mother, also in her early 60s. would love to know who will be performing your procedure. good luck with everything.

Comment

Revision Surgery

Hi, I just read your thread re my upcoming revision surgery. Dr. Albert along with Dr. J. Rihn and a neuro will be performing the procedure. Every case is different and who knows how they make their decisions. I would suggest consulting with other orthopods and get several opinions. Good luck, Phyllis

Comment

Best of luck to you Phyllis. I just had revision surgery with Dr. Matthew Cunningham at HSS (a colleague of Dr. Boachie's). I wonder if he would have worked with you on the insurance issues.

Brooklyn

Comment

Hi, I researched his position in Dr. B's practice. I was told his specialty is Cervical and yes, he would accept ins. Since, I need almost a whole revision, he wouldn't be the dr. for me. Thanx for the thought. What procedure did you have done and how r u doing?

Comment

I had my Harrington rods removed after 35 years, due to an infection. Dr. Boachie was unavailable, so Dr. Cunningham took over. He took good care of me.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Dr. Cunningham

Can you please describe the outcome of your revision surgery with Dr. Cunningham? Were you satisfied? What did you like and what did you dislike? Did you consider other doctors in the NYC area as well?

Comment

Disc surgery/also finding malpractice info on surgeons

[QUOTE=sadgirl;66611]Donna,
                          I am being told after 30+ years with a harrington rod, and a disc surgery done 2002, that I am in need of yet another back surgery...my regular orthopedic just wants to fuse again L4-5,S1 since it never took on the 2002 surgery however, i do have kyphosis and he will NOT operate on that.....so I went to see Dr. Errico as you mentioned.....

SadGirl:

Could you please tell us what type of disc surgery you had in 2002? Also, it is difficult to find malpractice info on surgeons, so please tell us what website or how you found out this info? Also how you found the former patient that you spoke to?

My husband and I sat there for a minute, gathered our thoughts and said, this dr is not the one for me, he was rude, short with his answers and then when I got home and did my research in depth about him, I found out that he had a large lawsuit on him for paralysing several patients....

Thank you!

TableOne
                          1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
                          2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
                          3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
                          4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
                          I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X