Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Aborted Last Minute!

Dear Friends,

I promised to report on first post-op appointment in with Dr. Boachie in New York City.

Well, THE TRIP didn't happen.

However, I DID see Dr. Boachie after a Scoliosis Research Society conference in Utah.

He said I looked great, but I need to mail him some up-to-date x-rays.

There's more to the story, but I'm going to refer you to my blog, which tells it all, with photos to boot - http://gingerinrecovery.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all of you who contributed your ideas about what should happen at a 4-month post-op appointment - another thread. I appreciate your experience and knowledge!
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

How funny, Ginger- I just sent you a message that I had gone there. To everyone else, creative Ginger has done it again. Go see!!!!!
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Now that's a great surprise!

Isn't that terrific! What a great story this is. I love reading your blog. Who would have ever thought you'd be making breakfast for Dr. Boachie - now that's a riot! AND the best part is you saved lots of money. I hope he didn't charge you to see your back - haha! I'm glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work. Regards, LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

OMG Ginger, I just checked your blog earlier today wondering about your appointment. How FABULOUS that you could whip up such a wonderful breakfast/excusion/hike for Dr. B and his assistants. He looks so cute in those surroundings, and you, as always, look INCREDIBLE!

I'm glad that he said you look to be doing well. And OMG to your brother's house!! Is this the brother who insisted you find the best Dr.?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I just read the part about Dr. B suggesting that you go with him to Africa to be part of their support team. Oh Ginger, that would be so perfect for you. You are such a generous giving person, and they would be lucky to have you over there.

I only wish that one day I could meet you in person because you have been such an inspiration and joy to me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Ginger-- what a delightful blog entry! That is sooooo cool that you had such a unique appointment with Dr. B. And no wonder he would like you to go to Ghana! Breakfast sounded super-- and you can improvise (no gas!) with no notice! You would be wonderful as a support for the workers-- and your smile would encourage everyone who saw it. Keep us posted on WHEN (not IF) you go. I'm betting on you to follow through with it...

Thanks for sharing with us all. I was just about to email and ask how the flight went. BTW-- that is some house of your bros! You have quite a family!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Loved the story! Its great you have such a wonderful doctor to see as well.

Brad
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

Yes. That's quite the home! And YES! That's the brother who harassed me into finding the best doctor and taking care of my problem. Actually all of my MANY siblings were supporting me with my surgery. I was fortunate in that regard.

WOW! It's great to get your supportive comments!

I just want to add that Dr. Boachie is a kind and humble man. I really experienced those qualities when he was in Utah. I do hope that some of you will consider donating to FOCOS, his non-profit foundation for spinal surgeries (lots of scoliosis) in Africa. Already, I've had a friend email me and say that she donated and I only posted the blog a few hours ago.

If you have experienced scoliosis pain, you may want to consider helping others who have no resources to address their problems. The surgeons and the instrumentation are donated and so the costs are a fraction of what we'd pay in a 1st World country. GO HERE to see the children in Africa who need surgery.
                Last edited by Ginger W.; 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM.
                Ginger Woolley

Comment

Hi Ginger,
                  That is an amazing story. Your blog is so awesome that I had to show it to my husband. Of course, he liked your brother's private jet the best. You are one lucky gal to have found a Dr. so thoughtful as to call you on the telephone to tell you not to bother to fly to NYC. It gives new meaning to house calls. As Suzie says, let us know when, not if, you go to Ghana with your Doctor. BTW, you do look great. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Going to Ghana

Gee, I'm getting a LOT of encouragement here to actually take that trip to Ghana! Do remember that I'm a retired childcare center director. I'd probably have to come up with a plane ticket. Maybe I can hit up my big brother, although he's helped me SO MUCH with the surgery that I feel like I'm "maxed out" on that front. So, I'm going to have to get creative.

I'm also going to need my energy to come back!!! I can emjoy a fun and active day with my doctor ( and his research assistants) and do FINE, but then I had to literally go into hibernation for a day and a half. It's so interesting how there simply AREN'T the reserves and I don't bounce back as quickly as I did before surgery.

I DO see progress. It's just so gradual. Now I can hike two miles round-trip on a steep canyon trail AND have some energy to do other things during the day. I've been able to do that hike for more than a month, but it completely wiped me out in the initial phases. I have to look back and compare in order to recognize my progress.
                    Ginger Woolley

Comment

Used TLSO Braces

Hi Ginger - What an amazing story - very inspiring! I spent quite a bit of time on the FOCOS Website, and it got me thinking.
                      A while back some of the kids here had a thread discussing about what they want to do with their braces when they don't have to wear them anymore. I contacted FOCOS today and am going to start collecting braces to be sent down for the Spring 2009 mission. If anyone is interested in donating their brace, please email me at carawinslowvbs@comcast.net

Thanks Ginger for bringing this amazing group to our attention!
                      -Cara
                      Last edited by nate03; 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM.
                      Cara, Mom to Nathan
                      Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
                      Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
                      VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
                      Dr. Hresko
                      40 Degrees before VBS
                      11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Cara -

That's truly brilliant! What a fabulous idea!

We can all do SOMETHING to help our 3rd World friends with scoliosis have a crack at a good life.

And . . . it helps US feel better too! Even if we simply send a few dollars to fund supplies so that another child can receive surgery, then we've done SOMETHING to benefit others with this crippling condition.

Cara, you are an example of someone who stands up and takes action.
                        Ginger Woolley

Comment

Cara,
                          Great idea. Would there be a use for a spine stim? It requires a charger. What about electricity and would it be AC or DC or wouldn't you know?
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally,
                            I'm not sure. I have gotten a couple of other offers for various items. I will get a list of the items together and ask if they could be used. I will let you know what they say.
                            Thanks,
                            Cara
                            Cara, Mom to Nathan
                            Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
                            Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
                            VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
                            Dr. Hresko
                            40 Degrees before VBS
                            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Wow, what a fantastic blog and what a wonderful story! I hope you are able to go to Ghana. That would be something to remember for a lifetime. And what better cause? Thanks for the link to the FOCOS website. If we all could chip in a few $, we could really make a difference =)
                              Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                              Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                              Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                              www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X