Post-op question for Shriner Alums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op question for Shriner Alums

My son Sidney is scheduled for fusion at Shriner's in Philadelphia on November 13, and we are now in the process of planning travel arrangements.

We have the choice of staying in Philadelphia for about a week post-op so the final wound check can be done there. My question is, do most people do this? We live far away in a very rural area and it would be 30+ minutes to a GP who could do the check locally. I'm leaning strongly toward staying around to be sure all is well before we leave the big city, but my husband reminds me that Sidney will recover best at home, and I don't want to stay longer than necessary. But then again, his hospital stay might be longer than planned, and extra time in the schedule would save us from having to rebook airline reservations if that happened....you see what's going on with me.

What have other people done who live far from Philadelphia? I'd love to hear your perspective. Thanks.
    Last edited by WNCmom; 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM.

I see your concerns.

I can say that Campion did not see Savannah to do a wound check or otherwise for 6 weeks after her release from the hospital.

So in that case, I would say a wound check a week later might be overkill but I don't know that.

On the other hand, we are close to UNC in case something went wrong. But if it is a problem with the wound vice something with the orthopedics, I would think a regional or larger hospital (not a GP) near you could handle it as well as Shriner's could.

So on balance, I would come home I think after the release from the hospital. I agree your son would be far more comfortable at home.

I hope others right (also write!) in with other perspectives because I'm probably not thinking of everything.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 09-18-2008, 06:03 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I had a surgery when I was 14 years old in Denver, CO. I lived about 2 hours away from the children's hospital. I came home once I was discharged from home and I felt better to come home and heal. Although, don't leave any earlier then what the doctor suggests after the surgery. Even if your son is doing remarkably well take the full time. But he should do fine. My surgery was 17 years ago and things have come along way since then!! I will pray for Sidney and your family. Hope this helps.
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

My daughter had a spinal fusion at Shriners almost 2 years ago. We live almost 2 hours from the hospital. She was in the hospital ~ a weeK after surgery. I stayed with her the entire time. She did feel comfortable being home afterwards.Since you live so far away, you might want to plan om hanging in Philly a couple of days after his release because he may not feel up to flying. I would definitely talk to your surgeon to get his opinion on this. Who is doing the surgery? Shriners is wonderful. Please feel free to email me with any other questions about the surgery or Shriners hospital in Phila.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Mibre, I sent you a pm.

Comment

Working...
          X