spinecor bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinecor bracing

After exhaustive research my son 14 diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with scoliosis went from a 15 t to a 32 t while his ortho did nothing. Since Spinecor has an association with Chiropractic care I can't get a referral to have this done. He says he can't find enough info to support it. I personally hand delivered info to him still with no response. But I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk I'm paying for it out of pocket. Why do physicians frown on the chiro community so much. In my heart of hearts I believe Spinecor is our best option right now. We're going to Atlanta on Sept17 to get the Spinecor. May God bless you all.

Shriner's in Erie, PA is an orthopedic using Spinecor

At least they are still listed on the Spinecor site and they were doing when we went in 2006. They are masonic funded so if they do it it is at no cost to you. We had brace before we went there for a second opinion. We were not sucessful with rapid progression and other medical issues found later, but didn't start until over a 30 degree curve. I wish you the very best and hope it works for your son. It was covered by my insurance as out of network, but we paid it out-of-pocket, and then were reimbursed. We felt that was the best fit for our daughter, and I know you need to do what you think is best too.
    Shirley
    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

mbarnes,

I also go to Atlanta to get xrays and brace adjustments. (I assume you are going to see Dr. O). I also searched for an ortho who would brace my daughter in the States and at the time (early 07). I was able to get reimbursed for some of the cost of the brace after a long, hard struggle with my insurance company. Good Luck today!!
      Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
      28 degree scoliosis 9/04
      Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
      17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
      Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
      3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
      11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Just to chime in here....we also got the Spinecor through Dr. O in Atlanta and our insurance did recognize the brace out-of-network. No regrets. So it's worth trying!

Comment

Originally posted by mbarnes View Post
          Why do physicians frown on the chiro community so much. In my heart of hearts I believe Spinecor is our best option right now. We're going to Atlanta on Sept17 to get the Spinecor. May God bless you all.
          Physicians frown on chiro because it is an unproven modality for many/most of the conditions it claims to help with DESPITE having decades and decades to prove it works by publishing the results in peer-reviewed journals. That is why it is included in the $1 million paranormal challenge... you prove it works, you get the million.

That said, although Spinecor is associated with chiro types, I think they are separable. That is, it is possible the brace is effective (no definitive data to date though) even though the chiro is known not to be effective (to date... no chiro type has been able to claim the million).

Last, Spinecor could be considered a rational choice for your child. It's not like there are oodles of data for other braces and not Spinecor. There isn't a lot of good information for any brace. Watching and waiting is a rational choice given what we do know about bracing. Doctors don't get sued for malpractice for watching and waiting so there must be some reason for that.

My daughter chose to wear the Charleston but I would not ask her to do so given the specific instances in her case. I don't know what will happen or when. My other daughter luckily never had to wear a brace and had fusion last March. She will soon be off restrictions and be able to forget about scoliosis for several decades at least, hopefully for the rest of her life. We did watching an waiting and I think she got the easier deal between the two for a number of reasons.

Good luck.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X