Scheduled a VBS consultation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled a VBS consultation

We went for our "surgery talk" today and the orthepedic surgeon scheduled an appointment (consultation) with Dr. Haber at Blair Batson Hospital in Jackson. He specializes in Vertical Body Stapleing. I am wondering about experiences with this. We are also discussing growing rods and there are pros and cons to both I see. I am so worried about making the wrong dicision. I am definately praying for peace about this but I also wanted to get some personal input from others who have made this dicision. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

THANKS MARIA for mentioning Dr. Haber. I wasn't aware of anyone in MS who did VBS. I am glad this is an option but I don't know if she is a candidate because of the degree of her curve. We are investigating all of our options though. Thanks again.

Our VBS is schedueled for Thursday the 18th. Shelby has been closing her ears if we dare mention the "S" word (that's what she's been calling it). I'll let you know what her recovery is like. She's interested to know if she'll still have to wear her brace.
    It's hard to know what are the best choices because everything is newer, fusions have been around a long time. I just like the idea of putting fusions off as long as possible so they get the most growth out of the spine. Last night we were watching tv and Shelby had her head in my lap. She asked me to bend over to give her a kiss, I told her with a fusion I can't bend that way, but she'd be more flexible than me with the staples.
    Emily

Comment

Thanks Emily,

I would appreciate you letting me know how it goes. Good Luck, I will pray she has a speedy recovery. It is a VERY tough decision to make. The growth rods have been around forever and yet the staples seem so promising. Its very confusing. We still have at least until December to decide on the growth rods but it may be sooner if we go with the VBS. Katelyn doesn't like to discuss "IT" either. Her doctor told everyone in his office not to mention the "IT" in her presence. Funny, the way they deal with things. Keep me updated on her progress.

Sharon

Just wondering - didn't you say Shelby had growing rods and if so why the VBS now?? I haven't heard of that yet.
      Last edited by smileyskl; 09-11-2008, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Sorry, Emily,

Your already explained the staples in your email. My bad. Sometimes its just too much information.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyskl View Post
          We went for our "surgery talk" today and the orthepedic surgeon scheduled an appointment (consultation) with Dr. Haber at Blair Batson Hospital in Jackson. He specializes in Vertical Body Stapleing.
          I just wanted to clarify ...

VBS = Vertebral Body Stapling

(not "Vertical" ... although vertical correction is a great outcome - LOL!)

Best wishes to you both, smileyskl and ecnw.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes, I did catch that typo - but didn't take the time to edit. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyskl View Post
              THANKS MARIA for mentioning Dr. Haber. I wasn't aware of anyone in MS who did VBS. I am glad this is an option but I don't know if she is a candidate because of the degree of her curve. We are investigating all of our options though. Thanks again.
              Hi Smileyskl,

What is the degree of your daughter's curve? (sorry if you mentioned it already).

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the decisions you have ahead of you. Hopefully, after your meeting with Dr. Haber things will become clearer. What day are you seeing him?

Please keep us posted!
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by ecnw View Post
                Our VBS is schedueled for Thursday the 18th. Shelby has been closing her ears if we dare mention the "S" word (that's what she's been calling it). I'll let you know what her recovery is like. She's interested to know if she'll still have to wear her brace.
                It's hard to know what are the best choices because everything is newer, fusions have been around a long time. I just like the idea of putting fusions off as long as possible so they get the most growth out of the spine. Last night we were watching tv and Shelby had her head in my lap. She asked me to bend over to give her a kiss, I told her with a fusion I can't bend that way, but she'd be more flexible than me with the staples.
                Emily
                Hi Emily,

Who is doing Shelby's surgery? Just curious.

That story about her asking you to lean over and give her a kiss is just too sweet!

You and Shelby will be in my thoughts and prayers next week.

Best of luck!
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Maria,

Katelyns curve is 46 (top), 46(middle) and 39(bottom). Of course this number is give or take 5 degrees good or bad. Her doctor has called Dr Habers office and sent them a copy of her medical records and x-rays. Dr. Habers office is supposed to let me know the exact time next week so I don't have the definitive day yet - I just know in the next week or two.

We were told she may not be a candidate because of her degree but the doctor said there are many things to consider when deciding that so thats why we are having the consultation. I just want to make sure we explore all our options. I actually told the doctor that the option I chose was not listed. (no scoliosis) Lol. Anyway, it may not be what I signed up for but we all have to have trials I guess. I know it could be worse so I am thankful for the blessings we have. I am looking forward to talking to Dr. Haber. Even if she is not a candidate for VBS, it will be nice to have a second opinion on everything else. Maybe VBS could be done at the end like in Shelbys case. Who Knows??

Comment

Hi Smileyskl,

There ARE many things to consider - and even if your daughter isn't a candidate for VBS, there are many options available today other than fusion. I don't have personal knowledge of Dr. Haber's practice, but I know - for example - that kids who have been seen by Dr. Betz and who were not candidates for VBS alone were offered other options in the hopes of preventing, or at least delaying, fusion. Fortunately, this field of medicine has come a long way, even in just the past 5-10 years.

Again, best of luck on your appt. next week and please update us when you have a chance.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps. I know we will get through this. I will be glad to be on the other side of whatever it ends up being. I will update after our appointment.

Sharon

Comment

Working...
                      X