No announcement yet.

Perhaps someone has an idea of what's going on with my leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so happy to hear from Disc, Debbe, Susie, and Sally on your interpretation of this latest thing and your commenseration (sp) of my findings. You know... you have something like this, you don't want it to be anything bad, but you do want it to be something treatable. Then to hear that they just can't find anything!! Damn it, my leg hurts, sometimes when I'm just laying down (when I've been up for a while) and always when I'm trying to walk using the walker. One day earlier in the week, a Physical Therapist came in, and he got me to talking about *what was going on in my life*. He didn't come out and say that it was psychosymatic (sp) but gently got onto the subject. He said he knew the pain was real and he felt that I was going to need some physical therapy to get over it. I've got to try to find his cell number (he wrote it on a napkin) and see what he would recommend me to do, since my doctor failed to go down that route. I've been so out of it with depression I haven't even thought of him until just now. I haven't been back to work --- how can I? (but have been doing work things on the computer today and yesterday). I was really cheered to learn that Debbei works from home. It's such a novel concept to me, it's hard to get my thoughts around it.

On Monday, I'll have to call the internal med doctor again (it's a she)... there was some things on my blood report that she needs to address and one of them, being a high potassium reading, is what might have set her off on the "stroke" thing. That's what the nerve doctor said about that; I've never even heard of having high potassium, low - yes. Due to the telephone call, we didn't finish our visit. When she made that call, I got this mental image of a little ferocious bulldog being in my corner and that's how I'll always picture her (she's a young, knowledgeable new doctor - Chinese by birth). I do remember my surgeon saying they would send her copies of everything done. (they'd better or I'll sic her again, haha)
    Diane in Dallas
    Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
    Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
    Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
    Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
    Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Hi Diane,

I'm glad to hear you at least have a couple of people who'll fight to the death for you

How very frustrating that your doc can't get a diagnosis - but remember, technology's good but not perfect, & doctors are only human! Whether or not your depression is making the pain feel worse than it otherwise would, please don't let anybody make you feel "crazy" or like it isn't real! It's great that your physio at least had the sense to broach this sensibly.

If for no other reason than ruling it out or helping the pain - if you feel comfortable to, the mind side of things could be useful to explore. Pain can so easily get us down, & when you're already feeling depressed, pain dragging you down is the last thing you need!

I'm studying to be a psychologist, & I'm constantly amazed at the connections between the mind & body - e.g., hormones & other chemicals released by the brain during high stress can actually increase the experience of pain. So even if your pain isn't directly happening from depression or other "mind things", I really hope that feeling a bit better will help the pain...if nothing else, it will probably at least make you feel stronger to cope with the pain. In any case....depression is such a dark place. Everything will feel a bit better if you're able to get that under control :-)

I'm thinking of you lots, & so hoping things will resolve VERY soon - both pain & the feeling low. It's such a "double whammy" ain't it! Please take good care of yourself.

BTW - don't get freaked by the word "psychosomatic" - it just means that there's a connection between the mind & the body. Feeling pain (esp. long-term) can make us feel frustrated, low, etc., & even change the physiology of the brain; & feeling depressed, anxious, & all those other scary things can have effects on the body. On the other hand, feeling more positive makes it easier to cope with pain & changes the whole body chemistry; & feeling well physically is great for making the mind release less stress hormones, etc., too. We couldn't survive without a connection between the mind & body....so the "psychosomatic" thing is perfectly normal - just not working to your advantage at the moment!

So sorry to ramble - hope this makes some sense!!
      Peace to you. Please take care :-)

Comment

Diane - Leg Pain

Hi Diane,
        I just thought I'd mention to you another forum that is specifically for spinal revision surgical patients (those who may require one, those who have had one or more after previously having harrington rod surgery) They would welcome your question and since many have experienced multiple surgeries, one may have an answer...just a thought. The website is Flatback_Revised on yahoo.com. Check it out..
        Be well!
        Luann

Comment

Thanks to all of you who've responded. Thought I'd bring you up to date and ask if there is anyone who's had what I'm experiencing right now. After leaving the hospital and having no answers; matter of fact, all answers said there wasn't anything wrong with me. Yeah, right! Pain that goes up to a 7 or 8. Sometimes the right leg won't work at all and I have to drag it as I'm walking, still continual use with the walker. Can't turn over in bed... too painful. Cannot take a step without the walker, unless I sort of "leap" from one holding place to the other on my left foot. Yeah, nothing wrong.

I went back to my internist for that followup visit about my blood work. She's putting me on Boniva for the osteoporosis. She put me on Levita, which is a medication given to diabetes patients for their leg pains. It really helped with the pain for a couple of days, but on the 3rd day, it no longer did and by that time, I had almost zero short term memory, so I quit it that med. She recommended a Neurologist to me and even though my sleep doctor is a neurologist, I decided to give a new one a chance. I called his office later that afternoon and danged, if there wasn't a cancellation the following day (God is good); otherwise, it would have been November. I really liked him. His name is Henry Raroque and for anyone in my area, he has an office at Las Colinas and at Grapevine. He gave me the most thorough examination extremity wise that I think I've ever had. After about 30 minutes of exam and talking and his viewing the faxed EMG results, he gave me his diagnosis and it makes sense. He said that after five years and five surgeries, each one of them major, my back has been through a lot of trauma. After this last operation in January when I developed Kyphosis around the third to fourth month, he said that this additionally placed strain on my back that my body had to fight, and everything together, including the hardware, placed pressure on my lower muscles. Something about one part of the body will compensate for another part. The result has been that the muscle in my right leg has over fatigued and no telling what. He said there's only one treatment and that's physical therapy. (All of the above has been paraphrased.) He said he would write up a report and send it to my surgeon and my internist. I'll get a copy from someone.

So I got an appointment the next day (yesterday, 9/26) with a physical therapy facility located in Valley Ranch (near Las Colinas) which sets right next door to the Dallas Cowboys training center. Too bad I'm not a sports fan. The first appointment was for evaluation only and to meet the therapist/owner and I will start therapy tomorrow. I'm afraid I don't have any more insurance P.T.'s for this year but in order to walk again, I would take out a bank loan if it becomes necessary. Actually, self-pay patients are $50 visit. So that's not bad. Depends on the number of visits.

My boss agreed to my working at home 3 days and to come in the office 2 days a week. They sent me home Friday with a laser printer and boxes of paper, envelopes, letterheads, etc.

CHRISTY, IF YOU READ THIS, GIVE ME A CALL. The number you left on my VM is missing a digit, so I can't return your call and I would like to talk to you. I only barely remember talking to you while I was in the hospital. These pain pills can really do a number on the memory. My cell number again is 214-886-4005.

If anyone else has had similar symptoms to these, please let me hear from you. Reply or private will work.
          Diane in Dallas
          Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
          Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
          Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
          Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Hi Diane,

I'm SO glad to hear you have some answers finally! I hope PT will bring you some relief.

Also - I'd really suggest you edit your phone number out of your post & PM it to your friend instead. You know - scammers, spammers, trolling bots & all that other charming stuff...would hate for you to have to deal with them as well as everything else

A while back you mentioned some depression (understandable!) - I really hope you're getting that taken care of, too...I know it can make stuff so much harder to deal with :-\ (please don't think I'm "preaching"...just..I know from experience )

Take good care now.

Comment

I hope the PT works for you. It may be difficult for you, but keep up the faith and you can do it! You have been through so much, and this may be the answer. I know it has worked for me. Good luck. Stay strong! You are to be admired for all you have endured.

Comment

Wow! That was a disturbing read Diane. I would love to know how you're faring now. Hopefully the PT is doing its job!

Jen
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X